AP reference text

Started by Walkman, August 15, 2011, 05:37:08 PM

Smithsonia

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thom;
Thanks for the updates from Louisiana. You've got more experience than us. I've argued a keep it simple stupid method is best. Good logging procedures and crew resource management is best. Our GPS Nikons are taken out of a Region ES closet and returned. Using them is paperwork and re-familiarization headaches-plus. So if you can't train on them routinely they'll always be more trouble than they are worth. That said, I am required to instruct the Nikon/GPS gear on the AP SQTRs. So I can't argue forever this point.

I carry 2 Canon EOS Rebels a T1 and T2. I'm a PIO and PAO too plus I use them in my everyday work. The T2 with 18 megapixals and 255mm telephoto lens can tell the color and shape of a ball cap versus a cowboy hat or boonie on a person of interest on a suspicious activity mission. And that is at 1/2mile slant range. I think I can get a license plate but haven't tried yet. The technology is moving faster than the training or mission requirements.

In 1986 the Air Force got super-wide format upgunned 25 megapixal cameras on the SR71s. They flew at 70-85,000 ft. 18 mega-pixals at 2000 ft slant range do pretty good. I can see people on cell phones (it is an interpretation of a pose that is easy to recognize). I can tell people with fishing rods, holding children, even cans of drinks versus canteens or water bottles. (of course I have to move the image to my computer and blow it up a bunch) That is optical horse power.

Also this level of photography takes smooth air, good camera set up and handling, knowledgeable photo interpretation - and some dumb luck. I think most of my photos were the latter as I wasn't shooting and didn't see any of the objects I've described while I was in the air.

And that is the reason for another higher skill set that isn't on the SQTR really, but should be. Photo briefer, debriefer, and photo interpreter should be added-on or included into the training eventually.

Recon is the toughest job of Army snipers, Marines, SEALS, and Air Force combat air controllers. I'm thinking the same for CAP, eventually. That said, I'm a little old for a high risk mission into Afghanistans Helmund Province. So I am probably at my absolute limit on a CAP AP mission.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Thom

^^^^^ (I'm not quoting that huge (but good!) post from Smithsonia...

One small issue with the fantastic zoom capabilities of high end cameras and long lenses: we have pending USAF guidelines which severely restrict and limit our ability to take any photos in which a given person might be personally identifiable.

Some folks are aware of the USAF photo guidelines briefing that was issued, then recalled for further consideration. We were briefed on it in LA Wing during its brief tenure as official, and we were astounded at the level of restrictions we would have to deal with on any AFAMs. It hardly prevents us from getting the job done, but it adds a whole new level of 'legal' considerations which are in no way tied to the normal physical or safety constraints we already operated under.

Just a thought...

As to your comments about teaching the Nikon and shoe-mount GPS when you don't have any regularly issued, that is our next big challenge in LA Wing: finding the funding to finish outfitting all of our squadrons with handheld GPS units and Nikon cameras. It looks like this next year will be one big fundraising challenge to try and get closer to our goal of having every squadron, and eventually every aircraft and every ground vehicle, immediately equipped and capable of good quality geocoded photography.

Thom

Eclipse

I've been using a GPSIII+ on a kneeboard with a remote antenna stuck to the back window.  Pic? Hold enter and it drops a waypoint.

My last flight I turned on my Xoom and had it run a track log just laying on the back seat, same results, but easier to use since it
produced a Google Maps .KMZ.

Either way, no need for a GPS on the camera (not that it's a bad thing, just not required).

"That Others May Zoom"

Thom

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2011, 01:23:54 PM
I've been using a GPSIII+ on a kneeboard with a remote antenna stuck to the back window.  Pic? Hold enter and it drops a waypoint.

My last flight I turned on my Xoom and had it run a track log just laying on the back seat, same results, but easier to use since it
produced a Google Maps .KMZ.

Either way, no need for a GPS on the camera (not that it's a bad thing, just not required).

That's similar to the way we are doing it, but we use RoboGEO to automate the encoding when the sortie is over. We have essentially abandoned manual photo logs and waypoints, they just can't handle the volume.

As an example, on our Graded SAREVAL last year we (a Wing of ~600 members) uploaded 75 images to WMIRS and got a good grade. In the recent flooding mission we averaged more than double that amount of images PER SORTIE. Automated encoding is the only way we can possibly handle that volume.

In particular, with all of our customers demanding that photos be not only geo-coded with location, but also geo-referenced with direction/orientation, we had to go to an automated solution where the software combines the photos and the tracklog from our handheld GPS to determine location, altitude, and direction/orientation. So far it is working out great and the customers are pleased.

This also means that we are free to place a handheld GPS some place, typically the glare shield but in some aircraft we have a mount in the back window, with a clear sky view and we have no worries about losing lock. We had no end of problems trying to avoid losing lock with a GPS either mounted on the camera, or built-in to the camera.

Thom

Eclipse

This a Garmin MapSource Track log from a mission we ran doing icedam surveys on the river for an EMA:

The 3-digit waypoints are where the photos were taken. (Of course now you can export this to a .KMZ or other, similar use).
On this particular mission we had a rep from the EMA in the plane and he was just having us go "there", and shoot, so the
runs are a lot less structured.

Example photo, which later appeared in the Sun Times:

An old highbird track from the Garmin:

And one recently from Ardent Sentry with the Xoom (poor color choice for the track):

The South loop was to establish contact with an aircraft at the lower portion of the state.

"That Others May Zoom"