Logistics Section Chief

Started by Pylon, February 22, 2007, 07:51:53 PM

Pylon

We've got a Wing SAREX being held at our squadron's location & facilities this weekend.  It looks like I'll be starting my training as Logistics Section Chief.  The SQTR and associated tasks are pretty vague as to what the LGS needs to prepare in advance, and what the hour-to-hour tasks an LSC can expect to be doing during a typical air & ground SAREX from an airport.

I've prepared all the facilities, and provided as many resources from new office supplies and furniture and desk stations ready-to-go, to crew refreshment area with appliances, snacks, and drinks.  I've been working on sprucing everything up and making sure we're stocked on everything we'll need from coffee filters to ISR radios.

What else should a pro-active LSC be doing to help support a SAREX, which may run one to two days from the airport? 

Also, what can I expect to be doing, or should do, during the actual mission? 

Any input would be welcome!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Al Sayre

Be sure you have plenty of CAP Form 5's, 26's, 91's, 104's, 108's and 109's and a couple copies of 60-1 and 60-3 on hand.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

arajca

Have you contacted local fire and EMS to get their contact information and just to give them a heads up? Remember, Communications and Medical are under Logistics.

You'll probably need to be ready to get the keys for the CAP vehicles that will be at the SAREX.

I'd recommend going to NWCG PMS ICS FORMS website and downloading the ICS  205, 206, and 214. Have the 205 and 206 filled out (get with the CUL for the 205) ahead of time. The 214 is your unit log form. (SQTR Task P1001?)

Eclipse

Not all wings place Comms under LG, in ILWG LG is mostly tasked with meals, bathrooms, and ground vehicles.

Not saying its right, just that it is...

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Understand, but DHS does place comms there. Ultimately your job is to support everyone, so I'd go ahead & familiarize myself with the comm section & make sure they're operating at a 100%. The branch directors will take take the lead on those factors with their sections & you can play in behind them to make sure it happens.

As an overall gameplan. I'd make sure I had a group of MSAs taksed to me directly so I could take care of everyone's needs while I myself didn't get bogged down in the details & could focus on the big picture & being proactive with the IC staff to keep the pressue down on them.

You're basically the project officer & your job is to make everything flow seemlessly so everyone else's job is as easy as possible. That's low-glory, but critically important.

Major_Chuck

Continue to shovel the snow away.  That would be first.

Back to subject at hand:

Keep a list of back up resources available.  Contacts with local agencies and businesses that might be able to support  you if you get in a pinch.

Remember that the best plans can be wasted by a glitch.  Be flexible.  Roll with the punches. 

If you can have people there dedicated not to the sarex but to providing food and drink (whether you pay for it or sell snacks and food for a profit) helps. 

A downtime area for crew rest that is seperate from the action is good too.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

sardak

Go to the ops page at national and download the "Emergency Services Checklist Guides" which is a single MS Word document.  It contains, for all staff positions, items that are inspected/checked/verified from CAP-USAF Pamphlet 12.  It also contains some suggestions from evaluated SAREXs.  Might as well get a Pamphlet 12 while you're there.

Andrew suggested going to the NWCG site to download forms.  On that same site, after some searching, you'll find the "ICS Position Descriptions and Responsibilities" manual.  Here is the direct link to save time, but I suggest browsing the site to find other useful ICS items.
http://www.nwcg.gov/pms/forms/compan/icscomp.htm

In what I think is a better format, the position checklists are available here:
http://www.firescope.org/ics-8x11-fog.htm

Think about:
parking for ground vehicles and airplanes, fuel for aircraft, landline and cell phones, faxes, LAN for computers, Internet access, copy machines (though the documentation unit is under Plans), extension cords, power strips, (and what you do if the power mysteriously goes out), transport off base for meals and lodging, blah, blah, blah.  In short, logs is the backbone of the operation.

Mike

Dustoff

Let me also add a link to the FEMA Logistics Section Chief position checklist.

http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/ICSResource/assets/LSC_PCL.pdf

Also to the FEMA ICS Resource Center

http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/ICSResource/index.htm

Lots of useful stuff there.

Jim
Jim