Sheriff Aero Squadron

Started by flyguy06, January 23, 2007, 03:33:11 AM

flyguy06

I saw ris somewher eon this thread. What is it and how can I find out more info on it? I did a search on yahoo and came up with some good stuff. But I would like to know a little more.

sandman

MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

flyguy06

The sites I saw were mostly out of California. They seem to all be volunteers. I am a police officer and am loking for an aviation unit with airplanes. All of the depts over here have only helicopters. 

This Aero Squadron thing loks good except for the factthat they are all volunteers.

sandman

You're correct. California is the only state that I've looked into. San Bernardino County SO has some very active aero squadrons. We do have helo's too. The aero squadron has many members or Civilian Volunteers (CV's) who bring in their own aircraft.

The CV's wear a modified sheriff's uniform or the regular uniform (plus weapon) if they have a reserve commission. California requires POST certification prior to commissioning. So, those of us who don't have the time to attend an academy (full or part time) will wear the modified uniform.

We're very active in supporting SBDO SO, lots of sorties.

I haven't looked into programs in other states. I'm sure you can make some contacts and find out what's in your local area.
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

JohnKachenmeister

Volusia County, Florida uses a light amphibian called the Aventura II (Manufactured nearby, in Rockledge, FL) as well as helicopters.  Volusia County has Daytona Beach in it, so if you get hired there to fly the amphibians, let me know.  I may need a name to drop if I get caught during "Bike Week."
Another former CAP officer

flyguy06

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 23, 2007, 11:29:04 PM
Volusia County, Florida uses a light amphibian called the Aventura II (Manufactured nearby, in Rockledge, FL) as well as helicopters.  Volusia County has Daytona Beach in it, so if you get hired there to fly the amphibians, let me know.  I may need a name to drop if I get caught during "Bike Week."

LOL. Actually I am seriously thinking about moving to Florida to be a Florida State Trooper and fly for their aviation unit. They have a fleet of Cessnas.  ;D

JohnKachenmeister

FHP is aggressively recruiting, but I don't know how many whiskers you need to bid onto the aviation unit.  They are the highest paid uniformed law enforcement agency in Florida.

But being the "Highest paid" law enforcement officer in Florida is sort of like being the "Most chaste" hooker!  Part of your compensation package is the good weather, and the fact that nobody in Florida lives more than 75 miles from a beach.

Learn some Spanish.  Suelte su armas, ahora!  Tiene drogas?  Tiene Cervesa?  Donde esta su tarjeta verde?

flyguy06

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 24, 2007, 12:38:49 PM
FHP is aggressively recruiting, but I don't know how many whiskers you need to bid onto the aviation unit.  They are the highest paid uniformed law enforcement agency in Florida.

But being the "Highest paid" law enforcement officer in Florida is sort of like being the "Most chaste" hooker!  Part of your compensation package is the good weather, and the fact that nobody in Florida lives more than 75 miles from a beach.

Learn some Spanish.  Suelte su armas, ahora!  Tiene drogas?  Tiene Cervesa?  Donde esta su tarjeta verde?

LOL> I dont want to work south of Gainesville if I can help it.

I dont think the FHP are the highest paid LEO's. In fact, I have talked to Troopers that say they are the lowest paid. They make $33K a year. The FDLE makes $44K and loacl Sheriffs make in the mid to upper 30's.

bosshawk

I currently fly for two California Sheriff's Offices.  PM me if you want more info.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2007, 03:12:38 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 24, 2007, 12:38:49 PM

LOL> I dont want to work south of Gainesville if I can help it.

I dont think the FHP are the highest paid LEO's. In fact, I have talked to Troopers that say they are the lowest paid. They make $33K a year. The FDLE makes $44K and loacl Sheriffs make in the mid to upper 30's.

You are right.  I looked at the figures a few years ago, while I was still a working cop and thought about moving down here before retirement.  The FHP was making the same then, but the locals were all in the high 20's.  It looks like the locals PD's and SO's have come up significantly, but FHP is overdue for a raise.

If you don't want to be south of Gainesville, you might as well work in Minnesota.  It gets COLD up there!  There have been several days where their overnight lows have been in the 30's.  We're looking at two cold nights, tonight and tomorow, but after that we'll be back to normal.  We need a few days of cold just to kill off the last of the mosquitos, but that's all its good for.

BillB

John doesn't like Gainesville??? The home of the NCAA National Basketball Champions and the home of the NCAA National Football Champions. And outside of Miami, the area where most Wing cadet activities occur? I'll bet John even thinks the North won the War between the States.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JohnKachenmeister

Its not that I don't like Gainesville.  Gainesville is just too far north.  You'll find that out tonight.  Brrrrrrr!