Main Menu

CAP and your "other half"

Started by Stonewall, December 27, 2008, 06:21:22 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Timbo on December 28, 2008, 06:52:18 PM
How did she even get to go to RSC, she has only been a member for a year??

Though RSC is generally recommended for CAP Members with the grade of Major or higher, anyone can go with approval of the Wing CC and RSC staff.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

My wife has been very supportive of my CAP service. Since joining in 1996, my involvement in CAP has been at every level of the organization so my vacation time and free time has been blocked out for cadet activities, teaching at SLS/CLS/UCC/RSC, serving on NSC staff -- attending Wing, Region, National Conferences -- evenings answering e-mails, working on projects, participating in tele-conferences -- participating in SARXs or missions -- and not to mention the purchase of uniform, uniform items, and supplies.

She has become a patron member so she can participate in selected CAP events (and ride in a corporate vehicle when I have to travel in one).

Without her support, I could not be as involved as I am.

But then again, we were also in church ministry work for over 30 years...so she was accustomed to this type of lifestyle.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

CAPLAW

I tell the bride to be to get over it! (JKA) She reads my post.  She is very supportive and I explained to her that I will be gone most of the summer for NCSA.  Now , If I can get her to join we will be good to go.  Nothing like spending your honey moon at encampment or anniversary at the SAREX.

Chappie

Quote from: "JAFO" on December 28, 2008, 09:32:16 PM
I tell the bride to be to get over it! (JKA) She reads my post.  She is very supportive and I explained to her that I will be gone most of the summer for NCSA.  Now , If I can get her to join we will be good to go.  Nothing like spending your honey moon at encampment or anniversary at the SAREX.

Our anniversary has fallen most years during CAWG's encampment.   Since it is near where we live, I scoot and have a nice dinner with my wife and return to finish the evening visits in the bays (BTW I do commute back and forth during the week-days since I work in close proximity to where the encampment is conducted -- after work spend the evenings there).   On more than one occasions the cadets during the evening formation have given my wife and I an anniversary "shout out"  :D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

brasda91

Sounds like a lot of you have wives that were AD or are involved in CAP.  Not here.  I was in CAP when we married, began EMT school while we dated and joined the fire dept after we married, thanks to the friends she knew from the fire dept.  She has always seen CAP as an "expenditure".  Always working on CAP and never seeing the benefit of it.  Training, training, training.  With the fire dept. she sees the immediate results (actually being called out on calls) as opposed to vary seldom being called for CAP.  I've been in some form of "community service" since 1993.  CAP just happens to be the one area she doesn't understand.  :(
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

SarDragon

I met my sweetie WWWOAD, and just before I rejoined CAP. During the ensuing two years, she got to learn a little about what CAP was all about through some long distance correspondence. After we got married, and were actually residing in the same house, I didn't participate for ten years.

Once I reaffiliated with a local unit, she was very supportive, and even joined for a couple of years. These days she is understanding of my duties and obligations, and is willing to work her schedule around them if I ask.

BTW, she is usually accepting of my NFL addiction, and didn't complain at all about my three game day today. All I need now is a Chargers win.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Stonewall on December 27, 2008, 06:21:22 PM
From my "after meeting meetings" discussion:

Quote from: brasda91 on December 27, 2008, 03:36:17 PM
Do any of you married SM's feel a bit guilty by stopping and eating when your other half has been at home and had ham sandwhich for supper?  You know what I mean?  You go to the meeting and afterwards stop and have a nice dinner, be it McDonald's or the local tavern.  Personally, I don't think that's fair to my wife.  I guess maybe that's another reason why I don't push it.

I got married 6 years and 3 days ago at the ripe old age of 20.  My wife is a former Mitchell cadet and a senior member.  One of the things we look forward to is going out to eat with our CAP buddies after the meeting.  Things are usually pretty busy and hectic during the meeting to keep up with the other random stuff we'd like to talk about, so dinner provides that opportunity.

We head on out to one of the local restaurants (I can't do much fast food) and usually end up getting home around midnight.

The last 3-4 months though, my wife has been pretty bogged down with school work and she hasn't been all that active, so I end up going out without her.  She knows the drill though and as long as I bring her whatever chocolate desert they have I keep in her good graces :)

She's really good to me and really supports what I do with CAP because she's seen firsthand as a cadet what good it can do - plus, she tells me she likes how I look in uniform  ;)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Agathodicy

I'm a pretty new member (just joined in September), so please take my response for the few months' experience it is worth. ;) My husband is as supportive of my CAP activities as I am of his hobbies. He's an active duty Naval Aviator, so CAP is far from the most time-consuming outside obligation in our lives. Like any couple, we've had to find a balance that lets both of us fulfill our responsibilities and do the fun things we want to do--together and apart. Maybe one day I take on the lion's share of the weekend housework so he can go tear it up at an autocross, and another day he gets dinner going so it's ready when I come home from a training flight. So far, so good. I'd think the only reason for guilt about time spent on an activity should enter into it would be if one spouse is doing all the accommodating and never receiving that same consideration in return.
"Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." --Terry Pratchett

bobthebuilder

My wife is a midwife so she's more likely to get called out for a birth in the middle of the night than I am for a ground team mission. So far I haven't been able to talk her into joining CAP but she is definitely supportive of it. We just go with the flow and understand that one of these days, we're gonna miss Christmas. :)