Just renewed for the 20th time.

Started by Stonewall, November 28, 2007, 09:05:42 PM

Stonewall

So, I just realized after renewing for the 20th time, I have spent approximately $1,100.00 on membership dues alone.  I wonder how much money, other than dues, I've spent in 20 years of service.  My guess is about $25,000.00 in related expenses for CAP.  Not always "required" per se, but relevant to me being in CAP.  See, I'm one of those guys that doesn't hesitate to buy something if I think I need it.  Not to mention all the stuff I've purchased for other members (cadet memberships) and stuff for squadrons.

PS:  Technically, my 20 year mark was February of '07, but due to some gliltch/mishap during my original paperwork signed and date 2 Feb 87, my original join date ended up being 8 Aug 87 AFTER I completed my first encampment.  How that happened I have no idea.

Then, I was away for Basic, AIT, Airborne and in transition during my renewal date in '91 so there was a delay in my senior application by a few months.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Congratulations!  Thank you for your contributions!  >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Time to break out the fabled "20" device for the Red Service Ribbon.   :D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on November 28, 2007, 09:22:37 PM

I think I have one that Vanguard accidentally sent me.

dwb

My renewal this year marked 15 years for me (cadet+senior).  I even opted for multi-year renewal for the first time, so I'm good until 2010.

My plan is to retire from CAP after 20 years as a senior member, a Lt Col with Level V complete.

And I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent on CAP.

Stonewall

Quote from: JC004 on November 28, 2007, 09:38:22 PM

I actually ordered the thin ribbons a few months back with the "20" already affixed. 
Serving since 1987.

JCW0312

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 28, 2007, 09:13:16 PM
Congratulations!  Thank you for your contributions!  >:D

My sentiments exactly!
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

brasda91

Quote from: Stonewall on November 28, 2007, 09:05:42 PM
Then, I was away for Basic, AIT, Airborne

Where/when did you go for basic and AIT and for what?  I'm going to guess Ft. Benning, OSUT (One Station Unit Training), 11B (Infantry for you non-army folks) due to you going to airborne school.

That's what I did.  July '89 basic and AIT for 11B and then across post to the infamous, dreaded Delta Company for airborne school.

Congratulations on your 20.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Stonewall

Quote from: brasda91 on November 29, 2007, 12:56:55 AM

Where/when did you go for basic and AIT and for what?  I'm going to guess Ft. Benning, OSUT (One Station Unit Training), 11B (Infantry for you non-army folks) due to you going to airborne school.

Yep, OSUT for 11B.  After Airborne School (Bravo Co.) I did the 5 mile shuffle to RIP, which is really only about 1/2 mile away, where I spent from Oct '91 to Mar of '92.  Got hurt the first time, was on holdover, then attempted a couple more times, but couldn't pass the APFT due to the injury I sustained the first go'round.

I was at the brand new Sand Hill in the "starship" barracks.  You were at Harmony Church, where people fell through the old wooden floors on a regular basis.
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Quote from: Stonewall on November 28, 2007, 10:19:25 PM
Quote from: JC004 on November 28, 2007, 09:38:22 PM

I actually ordered the thin ribbons a few months back with the "20" already affixed. 

grrr...I just can't get rid of that thing...

flyguy06

Quote from: Stonewall on November 29, 2007, 01:06:26 AM

Yep, OSUT for 11B.  After Airborne School (Bravo Co.) I did the 5 mile shuffle to RIP, which is really only about 1/2 mile away, where I spent from Oct '91 to Mar of '92.  Got hurt the first time, was on holdover, then attempted a couple more times, but couldn't pass the APFT due to the injury I sustained the first go'round.

I was at the brand new Sand Hill in the "starship" barracks.  You were at Harmony Church, where people fell through the old wooden floors on a regular basis.

I went through B/2-58 House of Pain at Sand Hill in 1996. I went fromthe national Guard to active and since I was changing MOS's and it was an OSUT, they made me go through basic inwhich I was not happy about that. Prior to that I was a 76C (Parts clerk) in a LRSU unit. I went to Airborne School in January 1989 in A/1-507. My last military jump was in 1992. I have tossed around the idea of going back to an Airborne unit in my last few years before I reach 20.

Cobra1597

I'm doing renewal 10 tomorrow.

Hard to believe a whole decade has gone by.

Congrats on 20  :)
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

bosshawk

Congrats on 20.  Probably a toss up between dedication and idiocy: at least that has been my reasoning for the past 15 renewals.  In Feb, I will be up for renewal number 16: have asked myself at least 15 times why I was doing it and was that really what I wanted to do.

I happen to be one of those who thinks that questioning is good: just don't go too far with it.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Duke Dillio

Congrats on 20 there Stonewall.  Great years for CAP.

Hey Brasda, when did you go to D Co.?  I was there for a short time in October or November of 1996.

SStradley

Thank you for your service to CAP and to your country.
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee

Matt

Welcome back for another year of punishment service...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

brasda91

Quote from: sargrunt on November 29, 2007, 08:21:03 AM
Congrats on 20 there Stonewall.  Great years for CAP.

Hey Brasda, when did you go to D Co.?  I was there for a short time in October or November of 1996.

Waayy back in the late fall of 1989, actually I had just graduated airborne school about this time.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Quote from: Stonewall on November 29, 2007, 01:06:26 AM

You were at Harmony Church, where people fell through the old wooden floors on a regular basis.

No, I was at Sand Hill, I believe I was in Delta Co 1/38th.  Second floor, squad bay, and a long way to have to carry your bed and frame because someone pissed off the drill sergent.  :)
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Stonewall

Quote from: brasda91 on December 01, 2007, 04:54:49 AMNo, I was at Sand Hill, I believe I was in Delta Co 1/38th.  Second floor, squad bay, and a long way to have to carry your bed and frame because someone pissed off the drill sergent.  :)

Dude, I thought Sand Hill opened up in 1990 or something, guess it wasn't so new when I was there after all.

And yes, I was on the second floor as well, E 1/19 Inf, and did the same dern thing with bunks, twice.  Really sucked.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

So as not to cause any confusion, I went to Airborne School in 1996 but did not graduate.  I was in D Co. but I have heard that it was a little different when I was there versus when you were there.  Anyway, good on ya Brasda.

brasda91

Quote from: sargrunt on December 02, 2007, 12:55:39 AM
I was in D Co. but I have heard that it was a little different when I was there versus when you were there.

I don't know if every company did this, but when we left the barracks steps (on our off time), we ran to the sidewalk, dropped and did 10 push-ups and went about our merry way.  When we came back, we stopped on the sidewalk did 10 push-ups and then ran to the steps.  We ran everywhere; to pt, during pt, from pt, to breakfast, lunch and supper.  If we were going somewhere as a company, we ran there and back.  We had the rule during pt that if you fell back more than 2 paces from the person in front of you, you were dropped from school.  We had people drop out the first Monday morning of school and we hadn't even begun training yet.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

AlphaSigOU

If it wasn't for two pesky little breaks in service I would have been renewing for the 30th time this year.
(10-month break between Dec 1984 and Oct 1985, courtesy of college and enlisting in the Air Force and 17 years between Oct 1988 and Oct 2005.) Oh well...  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Duke Dillio

Quote from: brasda91 on December 02, 2007, 12:28:54 PM
Quote from: sargrunt on December 02, 2007, 12:55:39 AM
I was in D Co. but I have heard that it was a little different when I was there versus when you were there.
I don't know if every company did this, but when we left the barracks steps (on our off time), we ran to the sidewalk, dropped and did 10 push-ups and went about our merry way.  When we came back, we stopped on the sidewalk did 10 push-ups and then ran to the steps.  We ran everywhere; to pt, during pt, from pt, to breakfast, lunch and supper.  If we were going somewhere as a company, we ran there and back.  We had the rule during pt that if you fell back more than 2 paces from the person in front of you, you were dropped from school.  We had people drop out the first Monday morning of school and we hadn't even begun training yet.

We ran everywhere we went.  They didn't drop anyone for falling out or anything like that.  I actually don't remember anyone falling out of any of the runs.  They ran so slow that it hurt my knees to hold that slow of a pace.  We did do push ups when we left the barracks.  We also had to do 6 pull ups before going into the chow hall and then 6 more when we came out.  We had a couple of drops the first day after the 250 tower demo (man, that dummy made a loud thump.)  We also had a couple more drops on the first day of the 34 foot tower.  Lots of partying on VD drive during the weekends and Monday morning PT always smelled like a brew festival.  Wasn't there long but remember it was great times there.  Wish I could go back.