Main Menu

GORUCK Challenge for Cadets

Started by Stonewall, February 18, 2016, 12:33:46 AM

Stonewall

Click here.

GORUCK REBEL

3-5 Hours, 5-7 Miles - - A Taste of Special Forces training for 13-17 year olds

GORUCK Rebel is for ages 13-17 and designed to create a challenging team-building experience centered on the Special Forces core attributes, values, and moderate physical training.

Parents or guardians are not allowed to physically participant in this event, but are welcome to shadow.

WEIGHT REQUIREMENT
The weight in your rucksack aka backpack makes it rucking. The amount you carry is based on your weight. Choose one of the following:

If You Are Under 150 lbs.
10 LB Ruck Plate (or equivalent)
or 2 wrapped bricks
or 10 LB Filler Bag
If You Are 150 lbs. and Over
20 LB Ruck Plate (or equivalent)
or 4 wrapped bricks
or 20 LB Filler Bag

WHAT TO BRING
There are a few things you absolutely need for your Rebel event:
A rucksack or backpack (any kind will do, but of course we recommend GORUCK gear)
Your weight requirement (see above)
Water, 2L minimum (hydration bladder recommended)
Photo ID and cab fare in case you need to bail (but we hope you don't)
Headlamp with extra batteries
PT belt/reflective band around your ruck
As a team, you will also need one 15 lb. team weight and one American Flag.
Serving since 1987.

isuhawkeye

I have done several GORUCK events.  They are a lot of fun and a lot of hard work. 

USACAP

GoRucl's marketing is solid gold.
I laugh pretty hard at the way they wrap their CULTure in the notion that one can somehow get a "taste of SOF" training/culture by rucking ...

Quote from: Stonewall on February 18, 2016, 12:33:46 AM
A Taste of Special Forces training for 13-17 year olds

SarDragon

I know Stonewall. He's one helluva straight up guy. His endorsement of Go Ruck is based on prior participation, and a belief in these tenets of the program - Integrity • Courage • Perseverance • Personal Responsibility
Adaptability • Team Player • Capability.

I suggest that you hold your bad-mouthing in check until you've increased your knowledge of, and experience in the program.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

USACAP

I am not badmouthing the OP - he's a solid guy and good people.
I am VERY familiar with the GoRuck program and completed an event to humor a friend.
The experience was absolutely awful, I don't need to pay to be abused.
GoRuck donates a lot of money to charities that help vets and promotes solid causes - that's all good stuff.
Good on anyone who likes to be abused in their free time. The opportunity for injury in these events is very HIGH - that is undeniable. 
I chafe at 2 things: that this is a taste of SOF and that this would be a good idea for cadets ...
The upfront risk assessment for this, considering a post like this ...
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20760.msg380499

Quote from: SarDragon on February 21, 2016, 07:45:55 AM
I know Stonewall. He's one helluva straight up guy. His endorsement of Go Ruck is based on prior participation

I suggest that you hold your bad-mouthing in check until you've increased your knowledge of, and experience in the program.

Stonewall

Quote from: USACAP on February 21, 2016, 03:33:59 PM
I chafe at 2 things: that this is a taste of SOF and that this would be a good idea for cadets ...
The upfront risk assessment for this, considering a post like this ...
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20760.msg380499

Meh, I wasn't suggesting really anything and especially not that this should/would/could be a CAP event.  Simply, there are cadets who may be interested in something like this.  I know as a cadet I would have jumped at the opportunity to participate and I would like to think others would, too.

I did a Challenge a few years back for one reason; my buddy and I had turned 40 and wanted to see if we still had it in us to accomplish something like this.  It was a gut check and not something we could have done on our own so we did it, felt the burn, and walked away pleased with the fact that yes, we still have it.

I don't work with GORUCK, nor do I endorse the company for any reason other than to suggest that those that like a physical and mental challenge, this is an option.
Serving since 1987.