Former Cadet Earns Distinguished Flying Cross for Valor

Started by Stonewall, March 12, 2014, 11:04:37 PM

Stonewall

Although this little piece of news will likely find its way on social media and the information is not "private" or "classified", I didn't feel comfortable publishing military units or last names just yet.  Hope you understand.

-------

Air Force Staff Sergeant Tom moved to National Capital Wing as a Cadet Airman in 1993 after joining the Seminole Composite Squadron in Florida Wing.  He went on to earn the Eaker Award after serving in both Fairfax and Mount Vernon Composite Squadrons.  Tom finished his cadet career by serving as the Cadet Commander at Mount Vernon before attending college.  As a cadet, Tom attended the Pararescue Orientation Course (PJOC) which started a fire that would sit with him for years to come.  After graduating high school, Tom attended George Mason University and joined CAP as a Senior Member, returning to Fairfax as the Leadership Officer until he couldn't hold back any longer and enlisted in the Air Force with the goal of becoming an Air Force PJ.  After 26 months of indoctrination, special operations schools and paramedic school, Tom donned his maroon beret in September 2006.   I joined Tom's family at graduation along with three other fellow former cadets.  The former cadets who joined us for that special occasions are equally impressive in their own rights.  Colin graduated from West Point and is now a Special Forces officer.  Leo continues to serve the Fairfax Community as an elementary school teacher.  Finally, Stephen, who served 9 years as a firefighter in Prince George County, recently returned to serve his home county with the Fairfax County Fire Department.

On March 11, 2014, I received and email from my friend of 21 years saying "Stonewall, so I got this medal today and wanted to say 'thank you'.  Believe it or not, those CAP ground team values still hold true with me and led to events like this.  –Tom"  The medal Tom is talking about, is the Distinguished Flying Cross with "V" device, the "V" representing the medal was earned for an act of valor.

The nomination reads:  

PJ Tom distinguished himself by heroism while participating in aerial flight as Guardian Angel Team Leader, XXth Expeditionary Rescue Squadron, Detachment X, XXXst Expeditionary Operations Group, XXXst Air Expeditionary Wing, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan on XX May 20XX. On that date, PJ Tom was sent on a harrowing rescue mission into Shorbak District, Kandahar Province, where a squad of United States Army Pathfinders had been ambushed by multiple improvised explosive devices. Despite the ground commanders warning that the area was still extremely dangerous with live explosives, PJ Tom volunteered to be hoisted into steep terrain only 25 meters away from a known improvised explosive device. Once on the ground, he and his teammate immediately began emergency medical treatment to the wounded Soldiers at the site.  PJ Tom then directed the most severely wounded patient be hoisted up first with his teammate. After their evacuation, PJ Tom began his hoist with the next patient. At this time, 20 feet from reaching the cabin, the helicopter experienced a sudden loss of power and plummeted into a rapid decent forcing the pilot to call for the hoist cable to be sheared. The flight engineer continued the hoist, assisting PJ Tom as he pulled himself and the patient to the cabin. He secured the patient from falling out as the helicopter narrowly escaped crashing into terrain. As the formation flew back to Kandahar, he rotated his team through cardio pulmonary resuscitation as the critical patient deteriorated and eventually succumbed to his wounds. PJ Tom's sound decision making and courage saved the lives of two Soldiers. The outstanding heroism and selfless devotion to duty displayed by PJ Tom reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force.

I have been in CAP for 27 years and have gotten a few of these types of correspondence from former cadets.  It never gets old!  I am proud of many of the cadets who have gone on to accomplish amazing things and continue to contribute to this great Nation.

Lt Col Stonewall, CAP
High Speed Composite Squadron
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: culpies on March 12, 2014, 11:13:28 PM
Don't forget the Slurpee  ;)

Dude!  When was the last time you were on CAP Talk?  Did you happen to randomly log on to see what was up?  I literally just posted this [darn] thing.
Serving since 1987.

culpies

I was surfing around the internet looking for water and a little better light when I just had this feeling I should take a look on captalk.......

Stonewall

You never cease to amaze me.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, PJ Tom.
Serving since 1987.

unmlobo

Well done Sgt.  Next time you are at Moody I would be honored to buy you a drink of your choice. 
Major, CAP
HI WG

Jaison009

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quote from: Stonewall on March 12, 2014, 11:04:37 PM
Although this little piece of news will likely find its way on social media and the information is not "private" or "classified", I didn't feel comfortable publishing military units or last names just yet.  Hope you understand.

-------

Air Force Staff Sergeant Tom moved to National Capital Wing as a Cadet Airman in 1993 after joining the Seminole Composite Squadron in Florida Wing.  He went on to earn the Eaker Award after serving in both Fairfax and Mount Vernon Composite Squadrons.  Tom finished his cadet career by serving as the Cadet Commander at Mount Vernon before attending college.  As a cadet, Tom attended the Pararescue Orientation Course (PJOC) which started a fire that would sit with him for years to come.  After graduating high school, Tom attended George Mason University and joined CAP as a Senior Member, returning to Fairfax as the Leadership Officer until he couldn't hold back any longer and enlisted in the Air Force with the goal of becoming an Air Force PJ.  After 26 months of indoctrination, special operations schools and paramedic school, Tom donned his maroon beret in September 2006.   I joined Tom's family at graduation along with three other fellow former cadets.  The former cadets who joined us for that special occasions are equally impressive in their own rights.  Colin graduated from West Point and is now a Special Forces officer.  Leo continues to serve the Fairfax Community as an elementary school teacher.  Finally, Stephen, who served 9 years as a firefighter in Prince George County, recently returned to serve his home county with the Fairfax County Fire Department.

On March 11, 2014, I received and email from my friend of 21 years saying "Stonewall, so I got this medal today and wanted to say 'thank you'.  Believe it or not, those CAP ground team values still hold true with me and led to events like this.  –Tom"  The medal Tom is talking about, is the Distinguished Flying Cross with "V" device, the "V" representing the medal was earned for an act of valor.

The nomination reads:  

PJ Tom distinguished himself by heroism while participating in aerial flight as Guardian Angel Team Leader, XXth Expeditionary Rescue Squadron, Detachment X, XXXst Expeditionary Operations Group, XXXst Air Expeditionary Wing, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan on XX May 20XX. On that date, PJ Tom was sent on a harrowing rescue mission into Shorbak District, Kandahar Province, where a squad of United States Army Pathfinders had been ambushed by multiple improvised explosive devices. Despite the ground commanders warning that the area was still extremely dangerous with live explosives, PJ Tom volunteered to be hoisted into steep terrain only 25 meters away from a known improvised explosive device. Once on the ground, he and his teammate immediately began emergency medical treatment to the wounded Soldiers at the site.  PJ Tom then directed the most severely wounded patient be hoisted up first with his teammate. After their evacuation, PJ Tom began his hoist with the next patient. At this time, 20 feet from reaching the cabin, the helicopter experienced a sudden loss of power and plummeted into a rapid decent forcing the pilot to call for the hoist cable to be sheared. The flight engineer continued the hoist, assisting PJ Tom as he pulled himself and the patient to the cabin. He secured the patient from falling out as the helicopter narrowly escaped crashing into terrain. As the formation flew back to Kandahar, he rotated his team through cardio pulmonary resuscitation as the critical patient deteriorated and eventually succumbed to his wounds. PJ Tom's sound decision making and courage saved the lives of two Soldiers. The outstanding heroism and selfless devotion to duty displayed by PJ Tom reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force.

I have been in CAP for 27 years and have gotten a few of these types of correspondence from former cadets.  It never gets old!  I am proud of many of the cadets who have gone on to accomplish amazing things and continue to contribute to this great Nation.

Lt Col Stonewall, CAP

culpies

Quote from: unmlobo on March 12, 2014, 11:23:29 PM
Well done Sgt.  Next time you are at Moody I would be honored to buy you a drink of your choice.

Only if you let me buy round 2

unmlobo

Major, CAP
HI WG

Flying Pig

That's pretty neat for both of you guys.  The biggest impression I've made on anyone's life is driving an 18yr old girl to a drug rehab for heroin instead of taking her to jail!  :)

Майор Хаткевич

Awesome story, and a job well done to culpies. A fellow former cadet is a PJ as well, and that guy never ceases to amaze me.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Stonewall on March 12, 2014, 11:04:37 PM

-------

The nomination reads:  

Lt Col Stonewall, CAP

Job well done  :clap:

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

a2capt

"Doty had some knowledge of a cockpit from his time in the Civil Air Patrol,..."

SarDragon

Daddy's on LinkedIn:

1998 – 2002 - McGuire AFB, NJ; Commander, USAF active duty liaison to Civil Air Patrol Northeast Region (flew C-172/C-182/C-206/PA-28)

I thought the name looked familiar in a CAP context.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

A.Member

Well done, Sgt!  Thank you for your service and thanks for stopping by!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Shuman 14

Quote from: culpies on March 12, 2014, 11:36:29 PM
Quote from: unmlobo on March 12, 2014, 11:23:29 PM

Only if you let me buy round 2

If you ever make it to the greater Chicagoland area... I'll buy you a round or two as well.

Well done Lad.  :clap:
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

C/Awesomenesss

Devil Doc

Still not willing to give up, he called his father. "He was very matter of fact and said, 'Dad, there's been a helicopter that's crashed, and we need to figure out how to turn it off,'" said retired Air Force Lt. Col. Timothy Doty, who, at one time, trained Afghan pilots on the same model helicopter. "Once I determined he had done all the things I would have recommended, we talked about other ways we could shut the helicopter down."

They have a Phone on hand like that in Afghan? Just calls his father to learn how to shut off the Helo? Awesome Story, he is brave. I just dont get how he could get ahold of an phone and call his dad that quick? Unless things have changed over there.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.