Are you tougher than a Spaatz Cadet?

Started by Stonewall, March 16, 2013, 12:30:12 AM

Stonewall

Home sick for a couple of days, I actually watched TV.  I probably watch between 3 and 5 hours of TV a week, mostly news, so this was a treat.  I came across Are you Tougher than a Boy Scout?  Well yeah, of course I am  8)

Naturally, I thought about CAP, and what show we could put on in a similar light.  And I thought, "Tougher than a Spaatz Cadet?"  Um, wouldn't it really have to be "Smarter than a Spaatz Cadet".  I'll joke about Spaatzen, but it's all in good fun; mostly out of respect.  But Spaatzen are not really "tough" per se.  At least not in the way these Eagle Scouts are portrayed on NATGEO.  Academically, yes, Spaatz recipients are likely more intelligent than your average teenager, I would assume.  But the only "tough" thing they have to do is the PT test, correct?   

They don't have to do anything ES related, nor do they even have to fly.  Attending an encampment is probably the most demanding physical challenge they have to accomplish in order to earn their Mitchell Award, which, of course, is a prerequisite for earning the other 3 milestone awards, including the Spaatz.

So, if there was a "are you tougher than" challenge for CAP cadets vs. adults/former cadets, what would it be?  Would it simply be an academic aerospace challenge with a PT test?  Who can build and launch a rocket successfully the fastest? 

Or would it be more ground team related?  "Are you tougher than a ground team member?"

All in fun, people...all in fun.
Serving since 1987.

The Happy Sergeant

are you tougher than a hawk mountain cadet...
Fight to Fly, Fly to Fight, Fight to Win
                                                      ~USAF motto

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: The Happy Sergeant on May 17, 2013, 09:31:23 PM
are you tougher than a hawk mountain cadet...
Are you tougher then a PJOC cadet?

coudano

Probably more apt:   are you more focused/determined to your goals than a spaatz cadet.

ol'fido

How about we take 5 Spaatzen and 5 steely eyed old GTLs(or ex-GTLs) and put them in a room one at a time with a computer and let them read the "Drummond Island Chronicles". The losers will be the group that has more people come out and say "That's crazy. You can't do that in CAP". The winners will be the group that has more people say "Sign me up!". 8)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

NIN

Quote from: ol'fido on May 18, 2013, 12:48:41 AM
How about we take 5 Spaatzen and 5 steely eyed old GTLs(or ex-GTLs) and put them in a room one at a time with a computer and let them read the "Drummond Island Chronicles". The losers will be the group that has more people come out and say "That's crazy. You can't do that in CAP". The winners will be the group that has more people say "Sign me up!". 8)

I win.

Oh, wait, I can't participate. I was actually there.

:)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ol'fido

NIN, You'll be the emcee at the tally who will say, "The tribe has spoken. You have been voted off the island." Then you will extinguish their torch. 8)

NIN

First event, "Aerospace Quiz Bowl"

Followed by a 1 mile run of indeterminate length ("Just like Best Ranger!" crowed a cadet near Hawk Mountain)

Next up: "Assemble and functional test of a non-firing replica color guard rifle"

Fourth event: "Terrain association with map & compass. On a 1 acre square parcel of land."

Contestants will then "Adjutant Walk" to the next evolution, the "Employ Elper without poking eye out" event

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Peeka

Private Investigator

Are you tougher than a debutante? Judges will be the Kardashians   8)

ol'fido

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 18, 2013, 05:20:18 PM
Justin Beiber will enter but lose in the second round.

ColonelJack

Quote from: ol'fido on May 18, 2013, 11:37:33 PM

And the winner is ... Honey Boo Boo!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Garibaldi

Quote from: ColonelJack on May 19, 2013, 10:38:28 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on May 18, 2013, 11:37:33 PM

And the winner is ... Honey Boo Boo!

Jack

Careful, Jack...them's fightin' werds here in GAWG. Honey Boo Boo is exactly the image we don't want spread round these here parts. Leave that crap for them Okies in Arkansas (where I escaped from after 13 years). They can stand it. Wooo Pig Sooie!
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

bflynn

Is a 40 year old man tougher than a young 20 year old man at the peak of his physical performance, regardless of what you call him?

Nope.  Silly concept.

Al Sayre

Unless you call him Mr. (Chuck) Norris...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on May 19, 2013, 11:32:16 PM
Is a 40 year old man tougher than a young 20 year old man at the peak of his physical performance, regardless of what you call him?

Nope.  Silly concept.

Absolutely - it depends wholly on the two individuals.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Nope.  Silly concept.

Not at all silly.  I know a particular Army WO who is 50 and in top physical shape; in fact, much better physical shape than many of the brand new 19- to 20-year-old Marines I know.  And without doubt probably in far better shape than your average American 20-year-old.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Private Investigator

I think most people overlook conditioning.

For an example 98% of men can not throw punches for three minutes. If you think about it most people have not had a physical fight since middle school or high school. YMMV   8)

Stonewall

Quote from: Pylon on May 20, 2013, 02:44:08 AM

Nope.  Silly concept.

Not at all silly.  I know a particular Army WO Air Force MSgt who is 50 40 and in top physical shape; in fact, much better physical shape than many of the brand new 19- to 20-year-old Marines I know.  And without doubt probably in far better shape than your average American 20-year-old.

FTFY  8)

Seriously, conditioning needs to be considered.  20 years ago, as a 20 year old grunt, I was in good shape, but I was not conditioned.  I was always impressed with the late 30, early 40 Senior NCO who could do what I could, but seem less fatigued.  Today, I'm that Senior NCO.

In my unit, we've got thin Airmen (and a lot of big'uns), but the thin ones aren't in shape.  I see guys ALL THE TIME that have 32" waists, but can't do push-ups, sit-ups, or run.  And God forgid strap a ruck to their back.
Serving since 1987.

bflynn

Yes, but that wasn't the context of the "Are You Tougher than a Boy Scout" show.  They weren't bringing on SEALs and Rangers, they were bringing ordinary people, not extraordinary ones.  If you make a fair comparison of extraordinary 40 year olds to extraordinary 20 year olds, the 20 year olds are in better physical shape.  It's a rule of human physiology.

But if you want to compare the top 40 year old to the average 20 year old, I'll allow that the older guy probably wins.

Devil Doc

Am I tougher than a Spaatz Cadet?

Define Tough?

Do I know more than a Spaatz Cadet?

Depends?

Am I going to Challenge this?

Prolly Not?

Why? Because I know my Boundries, plus, let the younginns do all the work, im more like a Supervisor/Facillitator anyway

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

LGM30GMCC

Take a current Spaatz Cadet and a former Spaatz Cadet and test 'em?

spaatzmom

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on May 20, 2013, 05:29:33 PM

There is only one former Spaatzen and he had his award revoked due to his criminal activity, murder.  Otherwise there are no former Spaatzen, it's for life.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Stonewall on May 20, 2013, 11:18:42 AM
Quote from: Pylon on May 20, 2013, 02:44:08 AM

Nope.  Silly concept.

Not at all silly.  I know a particular Army WO Air Force MSgt who is 50 40 and in top physical shape; in fact, much better physical shape than many of the brand new 19- to 20-year-old Marines I know.  And without doubt probably in far better shape than your average American 20-year-old.

FTFY  8)

Seriously, conditioning needs to be considered.  20 years ago, as a 20 year old grunt, I was in good shape, but I was not conditioned.  I was always impressed with the late 30, early 40 Senior NCO who could do what I could, but seem less fatigued.  Today, I'm that Senior NCO.

In my unit, we've got thin Airmen (and a lot of big'uns), but the thin ones aren't in shape.  I see guys ALL THE TIME that have 32" waists, but can't do push-ups, sit-ups, or run.  And God forgid strap a ruck to their back.

Roger that Master Sergeant.  :clap:

Stonewall

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on May 20, 2013, 05:29:33 PM

Makes sense, doesn't it.  But to follow the Boy Scouts' lead in this theme, the current Eagle Scouts are competing against former Boy Scouts who didn't achieve Eagle Scout status.  In fact, some of the adults didn't make it but a year or two in the Scouting program.

So to follow along the same lines as Are you tougher than a Boys Scout, we'd have to keep that candidates as those who did not achieve Spaatz status.
Serving since 1987.