Main Menu

CAP Business Cards

Started by Stonewall, December 06, 2012, 02:58:52 PM

Stonewall

There is an old thread about business cards from almost 4 years ago that, like a lot of threads, got side tracked, etc.  I didn't find any harm in creating a newer discussion about the topic in an effort to share ideas and resources.

After this past weekend I realized I was down to about 20 cards from my previous order.  I usually buy 250 at a time and that seems to last me for a couple of years.

I have been using www.vistaprint.com for years for both CAP and Air Guard cards and am 100% satisfied with the ease of creating cards and their quality of service. 

I never looked to see if there is an official regulation on CAP Business cards, so I'm sure someone will comment on my card and how it doesn't meet some sort of guideline, but guess what, IT WORKS.

#1 is my current card.
#2 is my previous card from about 2009.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

And because I love digging out old CAP crap, here are some rellicks.
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Who is your main target audience? Cadets or Parents or both?

While I'm no Marketing guru, I can say from a limited experience doing so, that a COLORFUL card (background color/design/picture like in your sig type deal) is always more eye catching and less prone to end up in the trash can two months later when they find it in their coat pocket.

Stonewall

I use my CAP business cards for everything from recruting to ES missions.  In my mind, it's a means to simply share my contact information.  It is not solely a recruiting tool or anything. 

Last weekend when a former ORWG cadet (circa late 90s) asked me about CAP in the Tampa area, I told her to check out gocivilairpatrol.com for the local units in the area, "and if you don't find what you're looking for, here's my card, let me know how I can help."

On ES missions I've left them with people following interviews, "thank you for your time, if you remember anything else, please don't hesitate to call [as I hand them a card]."

Also, at CAP functions like CLC or SLS, I'll pass them out to network purposes.
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Are your cards currently UV coated (gloss) or plain?

I've been thinking to make a background based card for recruiting/hi-viz purposes, but for most of the listed purposes you listed plain white probably works best.

In the past, when I was a cadet, 14, and loved messing around on the computer, I had made my own cards which >I< thought were awesome (and they were). I did make sure to list all three CAP missions on there. I noted that one of your earlier designs replaced AE with Leadership. Just a thought.

I like adding the National website info on the back.

krnlpanick

These are the cards that I designed for our squadron - everyone especially loves the QR Code on the back. Scanning it from your phone will add me as a contact in any modern smartphone.

Edit I would be more than happy to share the PSD Template for this card with anyone who wants it.
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

Eclipse

I like the idea of the QR on the back.

I do mine on Avery Clean-Edge as needed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 06, 2012, 03:47:53 PM
Are your cards currently UV coated (gloss) or plain?

I didn't want the cost to outweigh the cards so I opted for standard card stock/matte finish.  The only extra I put on there, for a few bucks more, was the backside website.  My cost would have been under $15 had I not done that.  In fact, the basic shipping fees adds $7, more than half the cost of the cards.

Vistaprint.com has all sorts of easy-to-use options, but like I said, I wanted it simple.  I have seen some high quality cards with images and gloss finishes and they're great.  But if I'm paying for it, it's going to be simple and inexpensive.
Serving since 1987.

Woodsy

Stonewall,

Give me a call or an email tomorrow.  We both know a guy (polo and grey's we discussed last night) that is a professional printer and has kicked me out some of the best looking CAP cards I've ever seen for about 8 bucks a 250...

West MI-CAP-Ret

Speaking of cost.  I download fm the Nat'l website, the OfficeMax paper card; comes with CAP account number and scan line.  CAP managed to get govt pricing (i just printed black/wht manuals, instead of .10c a pg, with cap discount, it came to .02c).

OfficeMax does a lot of different printing.  The only standards for card printing is that it is professional, clean and reflexes the mission of your unit.  Stay out of trouble by only using approved logos, etc.

Dave fm West Michigan
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

West MI-CAP-Ret

How does one make a QR symbol? 
A former member of:
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Lab Lover on December 07, 2012, 07:11:34 PM
Speaking of cost.  I download fm the Nat'l website, the OfficeMax paper card; comes with CAP account number and scan line.  CAP managed to get govt pricing (i just printed black/wht manuals, instead of .10c a pg, with cap discount, it came to .02c).

OfficeMax does a lot of different printing.  The only standards for card printing is that it is professional, clean and reflexes the mission of your unit.  Stay out of trouble by only using approved logos, etc.

Dave fm West Michigan

Was that a text message?
Serving since 1987.

krnlpanick

wuzafuzz

My cards are printed on Avery 5871 or similar.  I stick with small batches because my job roles have changed so often.  They are only printed on one side.  A second pass through a laser printer can get ugly.

Since I play in communications, I added my CAP radio call, in addition to my email and Google Voice number.  My cards are usually given to other CAP members, plus the occasional person in public safety.  I like the idea of adding a QR code.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

a2capt

Quote from: krnlpanick on December 07, 2012, 07:50:28 PMAnother missed opportunity to use the [lmgtfy]LMGTFY[/lmgtfy] macro... >:D
It's a rude and obnoxious response thing anyway. Kinda funny, all the harping about the Membership CoC, and that very function is used so many times in ways that clash directly with it.

Fubar

A few of the cards posted here are a lot like the cards I frequently get:

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
Civil Air Patrol

Uh, one's our name and the other is a role we (sometimes) fulfill. Which one should get top billing?

Майор Хаткевич

Being the smooth type I am, at the end of Freshman year I snuck my card into the yearbook of the girl I liked. The next day when she signed mine, she wrote that she had found it, doesn't call guys, but wrote her number in. Score.

James Shaw

Here is a design I did for the local squadron that the cadets can put their name on and give to their friends or other rerutiing opportunities.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on December 08, 2012, 05:24:34 AM
A few of the cards posted here are a lot like the cards I frequently get:

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
Civil Air Patrol

Uh, one's our name and the other is a role we (sometimes) fulfill. Which one should get top billing?

By reg CAP should get the top or more prominent location.

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

I will be more than happy to send the PPT to others that would like to use the card I did.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

West MI-CAP-Ret

No.  This info can be found on natl website, under benefits.  Search for OfficeMax
A former member of:

Private Investigator

I think most people should have a CAP business cards. Some law enforcement know CAP, others do not. So when you are out at oh dark thirty chasing an ELT you do not want the cops to think you are homeless people / drug addicts looking for copper wire to steal   >:D

krnlpanick

Sadly - this is pretty true. In my experience - showing a picture ID (CAPID) does not carry the same weight as flashing someone a business card. I wish I was joking but sadly I am not. Business cards are the most cost effective way to gain access to any restricted area or closed doors and it isn't like anyone could ever fake a business card.  ::)

I've had people question my various identification cards (even my DoD issued DBIDS before but I have *never* had my business cards questioned... 

NCRblues

Quote from: krnlpanick on December 10, 2012, 03:06:40 AM
gain access to any restricted area

must not work at a nuke base then  ;D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: krnlpanick on December 10, 2012, 03:06:40 AMBusiness cards are the most cost effective way to gain access to any restricted area or closed doors and it isn't like anyone could ever fake a business card.  ::)

I've had people question my various identification cards (even my DoD issued DBIDS before but I have *never* had my business cards questioned...

"That Others May Zoom"

krnlpanick

Quote from: NCRblues on December 10, 2012, 03:11:09 AM

Although things have gotten a bit tighter in the last 10 years or so you would be surprised where you can still get with a well designed or well researched business card... I teach about that in my social engineering class :)

Eclipse

Quote from: krnlpanick on December 10, 2012, 03:53:06 AM
Quote from: NCRblues on December 10, 2012, 03:11:09 AM

Although things have gotten a bit tighter in the last 10 years or so you would be surprised where you can still get with a well designed or well researched business card... I teach about that in my social engineering class :)

All hail Joel Bauer!

"That Others May Zoom"

Blues Brother

those cards done on here look really nice.   the folks that do them on vista print or similar services,  do you just cut and paste the CAP shield logo and put it on the design? or does vista print have that artwork on file and you just select it from a list on their site?   

EMT-83

Download the high-res image from eServices; upload to Vista Print while designing the card.

arajca

I've long believed that National should provide a template or wizard (for Word) or three for members to print their own business cards. Maybe even work with Vistaprint/FedEx/OfficeMax, etc so they have a standard template or three that member can choose from instead of everyone designing their own.

Pylon

Quote from: arajca on December 10, 2012, 07:38:26 PM
I've long believed that National should provide a template or wizard (for Word) or three for members to print their own business cards. Maybe even work with Vistaprint/FedEx/OfficeMax, etc so they have a standard template or three that member can choose from instead of everyone designing their own.

Would be nice is these resources existed for a lot of things.  But we're only a national organization with more than 60,000 members, so really we're just too small of an organization to bother with non-profit best practices, standardization, or just plain ol' worrying about presenting a professional image.

[/sarcasm]
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

johnnyb47

Quote from: Pylon on December 10, 2012, 07:43:55 PM

Would be nice is these resources existed for a lot of things.  But we're only a national organization with more than 60,000 members, so really we're just too small of an organization to bother with non-profit best practices, standardization, or just plain ol' worrying about presenting a professional image.

[/sarcasm]
"I'm picking up on yer sarcasm."
"Well you should because I'm laying it on pretty thick."
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

arajca

Quote from: johnnyb47 on December 10, 2012, 07:57:12 PM
Quote from: Pylon on December 10, 2012, 07:43:55 PM

[/sarcasm]
"I'm picking up on yer sarcasm."
"Well you should because I'm laying it on pretty thick."
Welllllllll...
For those who don't believe National reads CAPTalk, check this out: Official CAP Business Card Templates. They are ten cards per page templates.

Additionally, they're working to get Vistaprint to carry the CAP templates.

According to Jim Tynan (Deputy Director of Creative Services, CAP-NHQ), he got this idea from this very thread and figured it was a great idea.

abdsp51

Business cards are the most cost effective way to gain access to any restricted area or closed doors and it isn't like anyone could ever fake a business card.  ::)

I call bull a business card will not get you into a restricted area.... And if it does then that is a direct violation of AFI.

Here is the card I created for use;

krnlpanick

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 19, 2012, 07:53:54 PM
I call bull a business card will not get you into a restricted area.... And if it does then that is a direct violation of AFI.

While things have certainly tightened up over the last few year, all it takes is finding the guy - every group has one, be they military or civilian organization. It may take more than *just* a business card (these days) but I work pretty closely with teams of people that make a living exploiting human weakness during assessments to gain entry to secure and restricted areas from the expensive car dealership that sold Nick Cage his Ferrari to multi-national quasi government installations.

However, I think the real point is that a well-designed business card expresses a great deal of professionalism and lend credence to you in the eyes of other organizations that we work with.

Private Investigator

Quote from: krnlpanick on December 20, 2012, 05:59:24 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on December 19, 2012, 07:53:54 PM

While things have certainly tightened up over the last few year, all it takes is finding the guy - every group has one, be they military or civilian organization. It may take more than *just* a business card (these days) but I work pretty closely with teams of people that make a living exploiting human weakness during assessments to gain entry to secure and restricted areas from the expensive car dealership that sold Nick Cage his Ferrari to multi-national quasi government installations.

However, I think the real point is that a well-designed business card expresses a great deal of professionalism and lend credence to you in the eyes of other organizations that we work with.

As a P.I. I have one business card that just has my name and a phone number. It is on stock that appears to be 'organic, bio-friendly' and it gets me in everywhere including to serve a high price attorney who had been dodging a lawsuit. I got to his penthouse office while others could not access the property much less even enter the building. BTW, he still is crying   8)