mikebank

1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

mikebank

Quote from: mikebank on July 17, 2012, 03:32:42 PM
Or riding lawn motor racing.....

hmm. It would be better if it was riding lawn mower racing....well I blew that one....(:
1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 15, 2012, 03:02:32 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on July 15, 2012, 11:52:04 AM
I got in no small amount of trouble one evening on my newscast when I made a joke about NASCAR.  I said that if NASCAR - which involves driving in a circle at high rates of speed - is a sport, then all those people on Interstate 285 around Atlanta are athletes.  (For those who don't know, I-285 is a big circular highway around Atlanta.)

You should've seen the phones at the station light up ... it was funny!

Jack

Didn't you know that NASCAR is the second official religion of the South? And yes, 285, or the Perimeter, is NASCAR's test track. I used to tool around 285 after I got out of the Army and CAP (All in a space of 3 months) in my '67 Mustang, challenging other drivers to races. I stopped after getting soundly whooped by a Porsche 911 one night. Really took the wind out of my sails.

And while we're on the subject: "Oooooh, they're making a left turn! Oooo, they're making another left turn! Ooooh they're making another left turn! I wonder what's gonna happen next? Go to commercial, come back in 10 minutes, you ain't gonna miss a &(^&*%@ thing!" /Jeff Dunham

Funny, I've never seen speeds on I-285 faster than Headbanger's Ball (that's stop-go-stop-go-stop), except at 4 a.m. It's easier to drive straight through on I-75 than make that infernal loop work. But... "I'd like to thank my family and my pit crew. The AT&T-Tampa Bay Times Mercury Grand Marquis performed really well in that Atlanta traffic last weekend. Macon never knew what hit it."

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Private Investigator

CAP + NASCAR = good times indeed   ::)

jks19714

I don't know; when I was a fire policeman I found watching Delaware drivers on I-95 after an ice storm to be MUCH more exciting!  Kind of like a cross between NASCAR, figure skating and billiards watching cars and trucks bounce off the walls and guardrails.

....  And now, the UPS Tandem will perform a piroutte on center ice!....

All NASCAR at Dover Downs ever did was attract a bunch of really bad drivers who thought that Rt 1 was a racetrack.
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer