Squadron Command and SIMS

Started by Hill CAP, April 28, 2009, 10:41:50 PM

Cecil DP

Quote from: SarDragon on May 08, 2009, 08:43:28 PM
Quote from: LTC Don on May 08, 2009, 10:41:59 AM
I wouldn't think so since you are using the ID number specific to your unit (So you should use the formal name that is on the Tax ID certificate/financial records).  But, some clarification would be good to know how TechSoup works with national-level nonprofits with member chapters like CAP,  Salvation  Army, ARC, etc.

Cheers,

We have no tax ID specific to our unit. Nor should any other unit, unless it has cash assets exceeding (I think) $10,000. At that point you are required to file the regular tax forms for a non-profit. Normally, NHQ handles all that for the organization as a whole.

The wing HQ (as the Corporate entity) has the Tax ID, just be careful about only using it for CAP purchases and that personal items are not mixed in with unit purchases.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

LTC Don

Thanks for the clarification and I stand corrected; I really thought each unit received their own Tax ID number. So, does each Wing get a unique ID number and is that something that has come about with the Wing Banker program?

Irregardless, it just makes knowing how TechSoup deals with national volunteer groups a little more important.  I would think as long as Civil Air Patrol is referenced in the individual unit name filed with TechSoup, they can tie the Tax ID number to the parent organization.  The non-profit I worked for was a local, private non-profit so we didn't have such issues to deal with.

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Cecil DP

The Wing should be able to provide a copy of the Tax certificate for subordinate units
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

CadetProgramGuy

According to the TechSoup site, once you qualify, you are eligible to receive the program, then 50 accounts.

I can only think of several wings that could not cover all of the squadrons with 50 accounts.