Squadron Command and SIMS

Started by Hill CAP, April 28, 2009, 10:41:50 PM

Hill CAP

Hey All,

I just went to Squadron Command to Download SIMS on my new laptop it looks like Squadron  Command was hacked or atleast that what it looks like from my end.

Also the latest version of SIMS is 4.0 Beta 5. is there a newer version and if not will that version work with MS Database 2007?
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

Pingree1492

It should be Version 5 beta 2.

Not sure about compatibility- I'm still running Access 2003.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

AlphaSigOU

Version 5 beta 4 is the latest and greatest. It is available in Access 2003 and Access 2000 flavors. The 2003 version will run on Access 2007.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Looks like their comment system was haxord, or at least someone posted comments to pretend it was.

Might be a good idea to triple-check anything d/l'ed from their until its obvious things have been fixed.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on April 29, 2009, 12:39:59 PM
Looks like their comment system was haxord, or at least someone posted comments to pretend it was.

Might be a good idea to triple-check anything d/l'ed from their until its obvious things have been fixed.

Geeklog isn't the most secure, but the downloads should be OK.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pingree1492

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 29, 2009, 04:47:43 AM
Version 5 beta 4 is the latest and greatest. It is available in Access 2003 and Access 2000 flavors. The 2003 version will run on Access 2007.

Opps!  Looks like I was running an out-of-date version, sorry!  Beta 4 is indeed the latest version.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Hill CAP

Downloaded the latest Version from the site with no problems other then 2007 doesn't play well with it at first.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

dwb

I just upgraded SquadronCommand's CMS to the latest version, in an effort to combat things like comment spam.  I'm also cleaning out all of the spam story submissions (only admins saw those), and the spam user accounts.

I actually forgot I was an admin on that site, it's been so long.  :-[

afgeo4

Anyone know where I can upload a free/cheap version of MSAccess to use on my laptop to run SIMS?
GEORGE LURYE

davidsinn

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 01, 2009, 02:00:26 AM
Anyone know where I can upload a free/cheap version of MSAccess to use on my laptop to run SIMS?

Not legally. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DC

Will SIMS run with Open Office?

MIKE

Unfortunately, no.  There is an Access distributable, but it seems to require the developer version of Access to make a packaged installer... Which is what SIMS needs IMHO.
Mike Johnston

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: davidsinn on May 01, 2009, 02:37:04 AM

Not legally. ;D

Well. Lets just download it illegally and say we didn't.  Well from my old piracy days, I would say yes download it illegally. But now I'm starting a new chapter of my life, and with that chapter I have to stop my piracy. So like afgeo4 said, "Not legally".

Also thanks CadetProgramGuy for straightening my act out.

Wright Brothers #13915

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Lunsford on May 02, 2009, 01:03:08 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on May 01, 2009, 02:37:04 AM

Not legally. ;D

Well. Lets just download it illegally and say we didn't.  ;D

You are new.....

CAP Core values apply here, most importantly Integrity.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Yeah. I'm new. But it was really a joke. I'll remove the comment if you want.

Wright Brothers #13915

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Lunsford on May 02, 2009, 05:13:40 AM
Yeah. I'm new. But it was really a joke. I'll remove the comment if you want.

Joke understood.  Thanks for clarifying.

afgeo4

I did say "cheap" too... anyone know of inexpensive legal copies?
GEORGE LURYE

CadetProgramGuy

I know my local college sells MS Office 07 for $10 to college students....

SarDragon

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 02, 2009, 06:13:21 PM

Likely not the Pro version, the one with Access.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: SarDragon on May 02, 2009, 06:20:47 PM

Or you can download a 60 day trial from Microsoft and use it until your 60 days are up. Then buy the serial code from Microsoft which I think might be a little bit more cheaper that buying the CD, and wahla. You have MS Office Professional 2007 for a cheaper price (I think it is)  :)

Wright Brothers #13915

SarDragon

I just looked at the M$ online pricing, and compared to Office Depot, and the numbers are identical.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on May 02, 2009, 06:20:47 PM

Depending on the licensing schema that the college is on with Microsoft, it very well could be.   I know we had a deal where the students could buy Office Pro 2007 for $26. That included the media & the shipping.

Of course, we'd have enterprising young men and women who would buy it, immediately loan the disc to three of their friends, and then come to us and complain that the license didn't work.   I had my "Buying a software license is not buying the right to give that software to everybody you know" spiel down to about 3 minutes....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pumbaa

I paid $25 for Office 2007 Pro through my Company's discount program.  you might wantto look at that if you are in a large company.

Education discount is for Pro version.

Cecil DP

Almost any college bookstore has reduced rate versions of Office Pro. If not there are several "Academic" suppliers which can sell to students (By definintion everyone is a student of some kind), at a reduced rate. don't forget that SIms and CAPWatch are both geared to MS Office Xp, not the Vista versiion so you cna buy an older copy.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

CadetProgramGuy

Good ol Community College sold me the student edition for $10. I run it on Vista and MS office 07 platforms.

I do have to admit there is a learning curve to both Access and SIMS, but nothing like the learning curve for Vista, 07, Access and SIMS all at the same time!!

afgeo4

I can get Office 2007 Pro from my college for $67 plus s/h.
GEORGE LURYE

Lord of the North

The following is from http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/html/benefits.htm

CAP members and units now have the opportunity to purchase computer hardware and software at discount prices.  Members can view the Consistent Computer Bargains website at http://www.ccbnonprofits.com/ for a list of products available but must contact Tom Haven at 800.342.4222 ext 112 to make a purchase.  This arrangement allows for purchases not only for unit computer but also for member's personal computers.

NIN

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 03, 2009, 06:07:14 AM
I can get Office 2007 Pro from my college for $67 plus s/h.

Thats still a killer deal. 

We paid $16.50 or something per year per student FTE to M$ so that we were "campus licensed" and students, staff & faculty could get the $26 MS Office Pro 2007 as part of that agreement.  Parents would scoff at the price of our "preferred purchase package" IBM/Lenovo laptops with Office and such pre-loaded that we recommended to them, claiming they could get a better deal at Best Buy.    And I told moms & dads all the time "You can probably get a better purchase price than this, and we offer Office for $26, so don't let that be your only factor. But whatever you do, don't buy Office at Staples.  Its $450.."

$67 sounds like your school is letting the student cover the most of the license fee, which is still not a bad deal.

You know, I wonder why CAP doesn't negotiate an educational license with Microsoft like a college or university does. Hmmm.

Now lets talk about $190 for Adobe CS4 Pro... :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

arajca

IIRC, Microsoft released an Access2007 runtime. This lets you run access programs, such as SIMS and CAPWATCH, without having to purchase Access. The runtime was available for our favorite price - FREE!

It was limited to running Access applications, so you couldn't use it to develop your own queries and such.

RiverAux

Quote from: Lord of the North on May 03, 2009, 06:23:42 AM

CAP members and units now have the opportunity to purchase computer hardware and software at discount prices.  Members can view the Consistent Computer Bargains website at http://www.ccbnonprofits.com/ for a list of products available but must contact Tom Haven at 800.342.4222 ext 112 to make a purchase.  This arrangement allows for purchases not only for unit computer but also for member's personal computers.
Not sure I want to buy computer equipment or software from a company whose online store is as user-unfriendly and messed up as Vanguard's CAP store. 

CadetProgramGuy

ok, i just downloaded SIMS, into my Vista MS 07 package, and to get everything on an even keel was a nightmare.

I tried to follow the instructions on Squadron Command for importing parts of tCAPWATCH into CAPWATCH.....

Doesn't work on Access 07.  Once I nail down the process I will get it to you all.

Long story short, I couln't convert my database, cause it messed up SIMS front and back half.

More later!

NIN

Of course you backed it up before making changes, right?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

yeah i did, and the system is tolerating what I did.  Gove me a day or so, and I will be able to walk us through this together.

LTC Don

Hi everyone.
Saw this topic and felt inclined to register.  Been a lurker for a long time.

I see a lot of stress over how to acquire computer type resources to work with something like SIMS, which is an awesome product, BTW.

Civil Air Patrol is a bona fide non-profit organization, and all units should have their Federal Tax ID number readily available.

Microsoft has an aggressive donation program for qualified non-profits, but they only run that program through one clearinghouse.

That clearinghouse is http://www.techsoup.org

Any Civil Air Patrol unit that wants to go through the hoops to get registered with TechSoup can begin enjoying it's benefits fairly quickly.  But there are some things to pay attention to so you don't lose your registration or get it rejected due to insufficient documentation.

The cost savings in technology are substantial.  I know this because I worked with a non-profit as their IT Manager for almost three years and we used TechSoup to great advantage.

TechSoup still has Office 2003 Pro and now has Office 2007.  Here is the  current page with pricing for those products.  ( Don't forget to pick your jaw up off the floor after you see the pricing. )

http://www.techsoup.org/stock/category.asp?catalog_name=TechSoupMain&category_name=Office+Tools+MS&Page=3

TechSoup has many vendors that use them as their donation clearinghouse.  There is also a fairly active technical forum for assistance.

I hope this can help someone.

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

CadetProgramGuy

Each nonprofit or public library will be eligible to make one donation request for Microsoft products and licenses each year through TechSoup Stock (i.e. an organization that ordered 10/1/04 may place a new order 10/1/05). Though charities and nonprofits may order twice (once per year) within a two-year period, the combined total of products ordered in a two-year period may not exceed six titles and 50 user licenses per title (or one server license per server title). Once two years have passed since an organization's original order, these limits will be reset (e.g. a customer that placed an order on 10/1/04 may order six new titles and 50 licenses per title (or one license per server title) on 10/1/06).

Need a little clairification.....

If my unit uses the CAP federal ID and 501(c)(3) status, did I just ruin the chances of anyone else in CAP to use the same Federal ID?

My hopeful answer is no, but.......

LTC Don

I wouldn't think so since you are using the ID number specific to your unit (So you should use the formal name that is on the Tax ID certificate/financial records).  But, some clarification would be good to know how TechSoup works with national-level nonprofits with member chapters like CAP,  Salvation  Army, ARC, etc.

Cheers,
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Short Field

Quote from: RiverAux on May 03, 2009, 06:35:03 PM
Quote from: Lord of the North on May 03, 2009, 06:23:42 AM

Not sure I want to buy computer equipment or software from a company whose online store is as user-unfriendly and messed up as Vanguard's CAP store.

Just call Tom Haven.  I used them to buy a couple of copies of MS Office Professional Plus so I would have Access to run SIMS on.  It was really good service and real fast.  I forget the price but it was under $150 for the two copies.  You actually buy licenses from them.  A disk with the program costs another $10 or you can download it from MS. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Larry Mangum

Heck, the price you can get from techsoup.org is cheaper then what I can get it from the MS employee store.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Short Field

Great looking prices.  The MS program to provide software for donated hardware is awesome.  Wish I had seen it last year when we got over 30 computer systems with wiped hard drives. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SarDragon

Quote from: LTC Don on May 08, 2009, 10:41:59 AM
I wouldn't think so since you are using the ID number specific to your unit (So you should use the formal name that is on the Tax ID certificate/financial records).  But, some clarification would be good to know how TechSoup works with national-level nonprofits with member chapters like CAP,  Salvation  Army, ARC, etc.

Cheers,

We have no tax ID specific to our unit. Nor should any other unit, unless it has cash assets exceeding (I think) $10,000. At that point you are required to file the regular tax forms for a non-profit. Normally, NHQ handles all that for the organization as a whole.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

Quote from: SarDragon on May 08, 2009, 08:43:28 PM
Quote from: LTC Don on May 08, 2009, 10:41:59 AM

Cheers,

We have no tax ID specific to our unit. Nor should any other unit, unless it has cash assets exceeding (I think) $10,000. At that point you are required to file the regular tax forms for a non-profit. Normally, NHQ handles all that for the organization as a whole.

The wing HQ (as the Corporate entity) has the Tax ID, just be careful about only using it for CAP purchases and that personal items are not mixed in with unit purchases.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

LTC Don

Thanks for the clarification and I stand corrected; I really thought each unit received their own Tax ID number. So, does each Wing get a unique ID number and is that something that has come about with the Wing Banker program?

Irregardless, it just makes knowing how TechSoup deals with national volunteer groups a little more important.  I would think as long as Civil Air Patrol is referenced in the individual unit name filed with TechSoup, they can tie the Tax ID number to the parent organization.  The non-profit I worked for was a local, private non-profit so we didn't have such issues to deal with.

Cheers,
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Cecil DP

The Wing should be able to provide a copy of the Tax certificate for subordinate units
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

CadetProgramGuy

According to the TechSoup site, once you qualify, you are eligible to receive the program, then 50 accounts.

I can only think of several wings that could not cover all of the squadrons with 50 accounts.