U.S. ARMY CADET CORPS PURCHASES FORMER MILITARY ACADEMY

Started by COL Land, September 15, 2008, 04:41:35 AM

COL Land

HEADQUARTERS, U.S. ARMY CADET CORPS –   The Commanding General, U.S. Army Cadet Corps (USAC), Brigadier General Charles R. Tornow, announced today that USAC has purchased the former Millersburg Military Institute (MMI) effective Friday, September 5th for an undisclosed amount.  

Founded in 1893, the historic facility served students for 113 years until closing in 2006 due to a declining student population.   USAC will transform the 18-acre facility into its National Headquarters, as well as a National Cadet Training Center, serving Cadet programs worldwide.   The facility will serve again as a military boarding school within five years.

“We are extremely pleased to join the Millersburg community…” said Colonel Joseph M. Land, Sr., the corps’ Chief of Staff.   “…and we look forward to preserving the heritage of Cadetting in Kentucky while moving the U.S. Army Cadet Corps into the future.”

USAC is an Army-oriented career exploration program for young men and women age 12-18 who are crime-free, drug-free and doing well in school.   Cadets train in hometown units one weekend each month, and attend two or more weeks of military-style training each summer.  Millersburg will become the home of USAC’s summer training programs, hosting several hundred Cadets throughout the year.   USAC’s programs are designed to be extremely challenging and realistic, providing Cadets with a first-hand view of military life, with no obligation to enlist.  

USAC officials plan to conduct an open house by the end of the calendar year.  For more information on the U.S. Army Cadet Corps, go to www.armycadets.org .

The story was picked up by AP, based on this feature:  http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/522051.html.  The facility will serve as Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet and the National Cadet Training Center.  The recently-purchased facility in Dayton, Pa., will become a Regional Training Center. 

For details regarding the projected plans for HQ, USAC, go to http://www.mmicadet.com/files/MMISiteReportSummary_1_.doc .  

JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

MIKE

Mike Johnston

NIN

Indeed it is.  Dayton will become a regional training site.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

KyCAP

My company used to be the internet hosting provider for MMI and I have been in many of their facilities on walk throughs for installing wireless equipment.

The community there really needed a program like this to move in.  It will be a great thing for both of them.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

DNall

You don't have to answer any of this, but...

You're not getting over extended financially?

If the school shut down for lack of enrollment in 06, is it a sound decision to go right back into that business under new mgmt? Is the thought that the national USACC pgm would act as a feeder adequate to meet demand? Is that fleshed all the way out?

That said, I'm happy to see this happen for all concerned. I think it'll make a great HQ & national training facility. I hope it will succeed as a mil school or Jr Col in the future. I hope this facility will help act as a spring board for the program to push forward with expansion on a national scale.

KyCAP

Also, CAP ran a SAREX there in the Winter of '98..   Glad to see you here in the state.    :clap:
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing