Air Force says I'm fat, but not a bad runner....

Started by Stonewall, April 06, 2008, 11:45:35 PM

Stonewall

According to the Air Force, my "body age" is 37.  However, I'm 35.

Took my first AF PT Test in over a year and since my back surgery late last year.  I hadn't run or done any major exercise since August of last year due to a back injury followed by surgery and physical therapy.  I didn't start really hitting the gym until January and even then it was a gradual return.

I'm headed off to a school for the Air Force and had to take the AFPT today.

The AFPT consists of

Waist measurements:  30 points max
1 1/2 mile run:  50 points max
Push-ups (1 minute):  10 points max
Sit-ups (1 minute):  10 points max

Also, you do a sit and reach which is recorded, but not a part of your score.

The only way for anyone, regardless of weight, age, height, BMI or body fat percent, to score a perfect 100% is to score the maximum points on the waist measurement with a 32 inch waist.  Well, I have a 36" waist which only gave me 22.2 out of 30 points.

My overall "fitness age" is 24, which I don't think is half bad.

For the 1 1/2 mile run I trained solely on the treadmill.  Some say running on a treadmill isn't enough to practice for a PT run and will give me a slower time on the road.  From experience, dating back to 2001 while in the Army National Guard, I trained solely on a treadmill for the 2 mile PT test run, getting a 11:50 something or other (yes, 2 miles), but I weighed less and PT'd much harder.

Anyhoo, I ran 1 1/2 mile today in 10:36, 4th out of 50 PT participants.

Check it out:

Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

So, how many push ups do you have to do in one minute to pass/max? How many situps do you have to do to pass/max? and as for the 1.5 mile run, what is a passing time?

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 07, 2008, 12:47:24 AM
So, how many push ups do you have to do in one minute to pass/max? How many situps do you have to do to pass/max? and as for the 1.5 mile run, what is a passing time?

Depends on your age.  See for yourself.

For me, I'd have to get a 9:48 1 1/2 mile, 46 push-ups (1 minute) and 49 sit-ups (1 minute).

It all varies on each event.  Unlike the Army, you can actually "fail" an event, as long as you get a passing (total) score.  So if I got zero points on push-ups and sit-ups, I could still pass with an 80 if I max'd the run and waist measurement.

No one except the, I don't know, 20% of the Air Force, agrees with the waist measurement as part of the total fitness score.  But no one, from what I hear, liked the old stationary bike test either.
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

Wow. You get points for having  a certain waist size?

Yeah, I dont blame you, I wouldnt like that either.

DNall

sounds arbitrary, but man do I absolutely hate the army PT test. I'd be very happy to switch over to that AF PT. I heard today they might be changing the Army PT test up some too, but you know how RumInt goes.

Stonewall

Quote from: DNall on April 07, 2008, 04:30:17 AM
sounds arbitrary, but man do I absolutely hate the army PT test. I'd be very happy to switch over to that AF PT.

Yeah, back when I was your size and in your shape in the Army, I would have said that too.  Just 7 years ago I max'd the APFT (300) and weighed in at 190 and 74".  But I still had a 33 to 34" waist.  I just hate running so that extra half mile the Army does killed me.

I always thought that the best military PT test would include some sort of agility test or obstacle course.  Or even a road march of some sort.  I'm no physical fitness expert by any stretch, but it just seems more practical.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

The mile and a half (or cycle ergometer) test is designed to predict your VO2 max, which is is considered to be the best indicator of cardiovascular fitness and aerobic power.  Typically in testing for VO2 max you want an exercise that is both sufficient in time and intensity to fully tax your cardiovascular system.

Essentially the VO2 max is the maximum amount of Oxygen your body is able to transport and use during exercise.  Basically, the higher the number, the more aerobically "fit" you are.  Typically men have a higher max than women do because of their larger muscle mass.

Typically, better aerobic fitness levels come with many benefits like increased plasma levels (more blood in your body), a larger ventricle, this allows you to pump a higher volume of blood per pump, which enables your body to get the same amount of O2 to your muscles with fewer pumps.  You also burn the oxygen more efficiently.

I would see an obstacle course to not be a good indicator of your actual cardiovascular fitness because the work loads and intensities vary over the course.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on April 07, 2008, 01:54:06 PM
I always thought that the best military PT test would include some sort of agility test or obstacle course.  Or even a road march of some sort.  I'm no physical fitness expert by any stretch, but it just seems more practical.

The Army is updating its PT test in the very near future.  I sat through a briefing on it a while back, and it will include "real world" events.  Just like the current APFT was a direct result of the conflict in Korea, the new test is a result of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I would imagine the other services would follow suit shortly after it is introduced Army wide. 
What's up monkeys?

Mister Johnny

Congrats on the PT test. Remember the old Army PT test? Pushups, situps , two mile run (in boots)?  When I was in ROTC, we had an old MACV E8 who would only count 50% of your pushups and situps, 25% if he like you ! Anyone have any funny PT test stories? I once forgot we were having a PT test, and earlier I had a big breakfast, Bacon, Onion cheese omelet, toast, gallon of coffee, milk and OJ. Guess what happened after the run?

Stonewall

When I was at RIP, I remember the RIP instructor counting the same number several times..."21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 26, 26,....51, 51, 51, 52; recover, Ranger".  We had to get 70% in each event and basically they wouldn't let you go above 70%, I guess as a way to mess with your mind.  And let me tell you, when you know you can knock out 80 push-ups in 2 minutes, but they aren't counting all of them, your morale can sink really fast.

Theoretically, a PT test should be easier than your daily PT sessions/workouts.  If you think about it, the PT score card I displayed above only has me working out for 12 minutes and 36 seconds (10:36 run, 1 minute of push-ups and 1 minute of sit-ups).  But on a daily basis, I spend between 45 and 60 minutes in the gym. 
Serving since 1987.

davedove

sounds arbitrary, but man do I absolutely hate the army PT test. I'd be very happy to switch over to that AF PT. I heard today they might be changing the Army PT test up some too, but you know how RumInt goes.

I remember way back when I was in the Army and with my age I was about to enter a new age category, Woo Hoo easier standards.  But just then, the Army decided to change the standards.  They were making them tougher so that they could basically screen out some more people as they were trying to downsize.  Wouldn't you know it, my standards actually got tougher. >:(

If the standards related directly to the job you were doing, that would be perfect.  But too often they make up standards to justify a position.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

flyguy06

Quote from: davedove on April 07, 2008, 07:53:00 PM

I remember way back when I was in the Army and with my age I was about to enter a new age category, Woo Hoo easier standards.  But just then, the Army decided to change the standards.  They were making them tougher so that they could basically screen out some more people as they were trying to downsize.  Wouldn't you know it, my standards actually got tougher. >:(

If the standards related directly to the job you were doing, that would be perfect.  But too often they make up standards to justify a position.

Standards related directly to the job you are doing? I knew two admin female soldiers. When we were deployed, They had to go out of the wire constantly to deliever the mail to other FOB's. One them was a .50 Cal gunner. I have to disagree with your statement

DNall

How does a 2mile run measure your fitness to ride around in a truck?

I'd do a 5mile ruck over a 2mile run in a heartbeat. I'd love it if we changed to something like that. Any indication on what might be on the new test there mikey?

Stonewall

Quote from: DNall on April 08, 2008, 04:49:04 AM
How does a 2mile run measure your fitness to ride around in a truck?

I'd do a 5mile ruck over a 2mile run in a heartbeat.

I knew dudes that could run 11:30 2 miles but couldn't carry a ruck to the truck.  Knew dudes that could knock out 90 push-ups but not carry the M-60 with a combat load.  And likewise, we had dudes that could carry their 80 lb ruck with their battle buddy strapped to the top for 25 miles but walked during the PT run.

Not sure there is a perfect answer.
Serving since 1987.

DNall

If there's an answer that allows me to ruck or pretty much anything else but run then I'm in favor of that.