Vision 2008: What I hope CAP will accomplish

Started by Pylon, January 03, 2008, 05:12:28 AM

Pylon

Many of us make New Year's resolutions around this time of year; it's not necessarily a bad practice, especially if it helps give you concrete goals to pursue and a clear path of action.  In addition to my personal goals for the year, there are a number of things I hope CAP can and will accomplish in 2008 - sort of a "wish list" if you will.  Feel free to add your own.  :)

Public Affairs & Communications/Marketing

• Develop a professional branding for the entire organization's external communications (website, brochures, printed materials, etc.)
  • Establish a Style Guide to govern the new branding initiative and appearance.  Revamp all print publications to meet new branding, including recruiting literature.
  • Allow each unit to add max 2 or 3 people/addresses to Volunteer mailing list for free.
  • Make a subordinate unit communications kit, complete with non-modifiable templates for letterhead and unit flyers, etc. (which also conform to new Style Guide)
  • Develop CAP awareness building campaign, matching new branding and style guide including television commercials, radio spots, and print ads.
  • Purchase national television advertising time for CAP awareness building spots, driving viewers to new CAP public-driven website.
  • Purchase billboards in strategic locations throughout U.S. and advertise for awareness building.
  • Purchase advertising space in national print publications reaching specific demographics likely to support or join CAP (magazines from AOPA, MOAA, AFA, AFSA, Air Force Times, LEA/Public Safety career magazines, HLSToday, etc.)
  • Partner with AdCouncil to have additional CAP advertising done as PSAs on national-level.
  • Make media partners with History and Military Channels to include CAP content where related in their shows, and to produce specials on Civil Air Patrol.

Information Technology

• Separate internal membership website from public, recruiting and awareness website.
  • Internal membership website will become a CAP member portal (a "my.CAP.gov")
  • Roll out cost-effective e-Learning initiative, similiar to PAWG's.
  • Create "Unit Website in a Box" kit for subordinate units.  Make it easy to run, hard to mess up, and include useful features.  Use Dreamhost to provide free hosting for all units (they'll do it).  Goal: Stop letting so many of our squadrons' sites be a dark stain on the internet."
  • Support LDAP verification of members in E-Services
  • Support SIMS and further SIMS development
  • Allow units to place members on "inactive", "active", and "partially active" status right from E-Services.  Gives you a better picture of our membership, for starters. Perhaps keep status viewable only to commanders at or above members level.

Recruiting / Retention

• As listed in IT section:  Develop a separate recruiting and public awareness website for CAP, similiar to goarmy.com or airforce.com
  • New, separate Recruiting/Public website will also drive traffic from social networking sites and use viral marketing videos, particular for cadet recruiting.
  • Produce CAP-branded, low-cost giveaways (such as lanyards, pens, caribiners, and other tchotchkies.) which units can purchase at 25-30% cost, with NHQ footing bill for 70-75% for a limited overall quantity each year to build brand awareness in community via units.
  • Roll out better recruiting and open-house kits to units, including on-demand print orderable posters (with customizable areas for unit info/open house date)
  • Make a more substantial welcome packet to Civil Air Patrol for members including a "Welcome" guide directed at the individual new SM or Cadet, as a "wrap" for their new binder and materials. Let it guide them smoothly into Level I & Specialty Tracks/Great Start & Curry Achievement and get them started.
  • Buy a CAP tactical vehicle for show, similiar to AF and Army's recruiting-oriented hummers. Have it make the circuit to airshows, trade shows, conferences and public events throughout the year.  Where possible, make GA-8s and glass-cockpit 182's more available for a wide array airshows & aviation events, and coordinate those efforts to get them there.

CAP Foundation/Development

• Let us know you exist: We haven't heard from you yet.
  • Conduct an Annual Fund campaign.  You haven't asked your best supporters (members) to give you any money yet. Once a year dues does not equal "donor fatigue". Mail me something, make the ask and I'll write you a check.
  • Start learning about planned giving - it's the biggest slice of the fundraising pie out there. A large portion of CAP members currently serving or recently retired are an ideal demographic to contact regarding putting CAP in their wills.  It's a personal matter, though, so don't think about just blasting out a generic brochure.  Start making calls, or mailing good prospective members and retirees personally about it.  Schedule a phone meeting with ones who respond positively and go from there.

Cadet Programs
:

• Beef up Cadet Great Start Draft, revise and roll out with collateral materials
  • Develop online testing "test" pieces
  • Issue new leadership manuals and exams

Professional Development

• See IT list:  Roll out cost-effective e-Learning site like PAWGs and recruit good instructors to begin teaching valuable classes and offering more brief webinars.
  • Update remaining Specialty Track guides.  Members need "beefier" guidance in learning their jobs.  Most units don't have OJTs for all specialties.
  • Offer online knowledge testing for more specialty tracks

Member Services

• Maybe belongs under IT:  There's no good internal news source.  Make a separate "Member News" feed (add RSS too).  Member/Internal news is not the same as external/Public Affairs news and it rarely overlaps.  Post stories about updated publications or pubs awaiting commenting, upcoming NB/NEC meetings & minutes, changes to E-Services/WMIRS/MIMS/etc., messages from the CAP/CC, notices of CAP fatal accidents and other important events, etc.  Help keep your members properly informed.
  • Stop issuing C&D orders to good, honest vendors who help CAP members by making some items available that they specialize in, often at better cost than the official vendor.
  • Keep up the great work processing forms and paperwork quickly!  Add more forms to electronic submission, as possible.

I may have more ideas than these, and certainly may think of more as I go on and may add them here.  I may also "flesh out" and explore some of these suggestions in more detail (and others I've already gone into more detail on the site).  Please feel free to share your hopes and expectations for CAP as an organization in 2008!

Best wishes for a successful new year,
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

^ Thats a great list.  Let me think about what you have.....I will return!
What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

I would also ask that they revoke the C&D letters from the companies that have high quality standards.  AFAIK, they all do ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

captrncap

From CAP Talk to the National Commander's Ears!!!

JC004

Outstanding.  Basically sums up my plan too.  I'd like to see us put a high priority on a recruiting site, like the AF has (actually, I'm hatching something here, and I've been planning to e-mail you about it soon). 

I think the Colgan-Kieloch Alliance should build a style guide, recruiting site, and some nice e-Learning, as part of our master plan for conquering the organization.

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on January 03, 2008, 10:00:08 AM
I think the Colgan-Kieloch Alliance should build a style guide, recruiting site, and some nice e-Learning, as part of our master plan for conquering the organization.

Years from now we will all look back and say "thats where it all started".  "What a tyrannical pair those two turned out to be"   >:D
What's up monkeys?

TDHenderson

Outstanding list with some very good ideas!  I really like your IT initiatives.

pixelwonk

FYI, there is a member's RSS feed in e-services already, containing pretty much what you described, Mike.

Pylon

Quote from: tedda on January 03, 2008, 04:19:47 PM
FYI, there is a member's RSS feed in e-services already, containing pretty much what you described, Mike.

It's not quite there.  It often goes months without updates and lacks coordinating with other announcements.  For example, sometimes NHQ sends out a blast email (but it doesn't show up in the E-Services feed), sometimes NHQ posts it to the public CAP News but nowhere else, sometimes NHQ puts publications out, issues ICLs or makes other changes but other than putting it on its respective page they make no central announcement,  sometimes NHQ lets people know when minutes from the NB/NEC meetings are out - othertimes not.  The E-Services feed also lacks announcements of important approaching deadlines (like when scholarship apps are due, or when COTY apps are due, or when NCSA apps must be in, etc.). 

A consistently updated members news feed that serves as a clearinghouse for announcements that may be of use to the membership is what I want.  I don't see that as unreasonable.

Plus, the layout of the E-Services feed is really terrible.

Pylon

Quote from: JC004 on January 03, 2008, 10:00:08 AM

Ah yes, I must get back to that work.  We can still get it done.   8)

FW

There's a NB meeting coming up in  8 weeks.  Why not distill your list into one or more agenda items for your wing/cc to present at the meeting.  Ya never know what might happen (great ideas, btw).

The CAP Foundation is not fully organized yet.  It has only met twice and, I think, hasn't yet received full tax exempt status.  I know, however, there are donors ready to give when things are finally established.

pixelwonk

Quote from: Pylon on January 03, 2008, 06:28:29 PM
Quote from: tedda on January 03, 2008, 04:19:47 PM

It's not quite there.  ...'n stuff

That's cool.  I wouldn't argue that it could be improved upon.  My post was more of a didn't know if you knew kinda thing.

tjaxe

Quote from: Pylon on January 03, 2008, 05:12:28 AM
Many of us make New Year's resolutions around this time of year; it's not necessarily a bad practice, especially if it helps give you concrete goals to pursue and a clear path of action.  In addition to my personal goals for the year, there are a number of things I hope CAP can and will accomplish in 2008 - sort of a "wish list" if you will.  Feel free to add your own.  :)

Public Affairs & Communications/Marketing

• Develop a professional branding for the entire organization's external communications (website, brochures, printed materials, etc.)
  • Establish a Style Guide to govern the new branding initiative and appearance.  Revamp all print publications to meet new branding, including recruiting literature.
  • Allow each unit to add max 2 or 3 people/addresses to Volunteer mailing list for free.
  • Make a subordinate unit communications kit, complete with non-modifiable templates for letterhead and unit flyers, etc. (which also conform to new Style Guide)
  • Develop CAP awareness building campaign, matching new branding and style guide including television commercials, radio spots, and print ads.
  • Purchase national television advertising time for CAP awareness building spots, driving viewers to new CAP public-driven website.
  • Purchase billboards in strategic locations throughout U.S. and advertise for awareness building.
  • Purchase advertising space in national print publications reaching specific demographics likely to support or join CAP (magazines from AOPA, MOAA, AFA, AFSA, Air Force Times, LEA/Public Safety career magazines, HLSToday, etc.)
  • Partner with AdCouncil to have additional CAP advertising done as PSAs on national-level.
  • Make media partners with History and Military Channels to include CAP content where related in their shows, and to produce specials on Civil Air Patrol.

I definitely agree with your PR ideas.  I'm WELL into adulthood and never knew CAP was for adults as well as cadets.  I would suggest adding to your list branded apparel that CAP members could wear in public -- not as uniforms, but rather as everyday wear.  An example of this is a denim or oxford button-down with "Civil Air Patrol" stenciled on the pocket.  Another example is a non-uniform polo shirt.  Members could wear these items out in public, which could spark a "What is CAP?" conversation.  It could also be a fundraiser for CAP because members might be interested in this kind of stuff.  I know I'd be interested.

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

Stonewall

Quote from: tjaxe on January 04, 2008, 03:57:11 PMI definitely agree with your PR ideas.  I'm WELL into adulthood and never knew CAP was for adults as well as cadets.  I would suggest adding to your list branded apparel that CAP members could wear in public -- not as uniforms, but rather as everyday wear.  An example of this is a denim or oxford button-down with "Civil Air Patrol" stenciled on the pocket.  Another example is a non-uniform polo shirt.  Members could wear these items out in public, which could spark a "What is CAP?" conversation.  It could also be a fundraiser for CAP because members might be interested in this kind of stuff.  I know I'd be interested.

You know, I've always wanted to do that, even as a cadet.  Only shirts I had made up was for Middle East Region SAR College, but those were more for staff identification.

The key would be to NOT make them corny.  Even in the military there are some goofy, somewhat embarrassing, shirts and sweatshirts out there.  Subtle, cool, professional and not too gawdy would be the important, rather than a C-172 busting through a cloud or breaking the sound barrier.

Hmmm...maybe I'll have to put some ideas down on paper.  Thanks for the idea.
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Quote from: tjaxe on January 04, 2008, 03:57:11 PM

I definitely agree with your PR ideas.  I'm WELL into adulthood and never knew CAP was for adults as well as cadets.  I would suggest adding to your list branded apparel that CAP members could wear in public -- not as uniforms, but rather as everyday wear.  An example of this is a denim or oxford button-down with "Civil Air Patrol" stenciled on the pocket.  Another example is a non-uniform polo shirt.  Members could wear these items out in public, which could spark a "What is CAP?" conversation.  It could also be a fundraiser for CAP because members might be interested in this kind of stuff.  I know I'd be interested.

Thanks for the kudos.  I like the idea and agree it would be beneficial - again, to get the name out there.  Button downs and non-uniform polos for casual wear, hoodies with nicely applied "Civil Air Patrol" much like the collegiate ones for cadets, some non-corny, other-than-black t-shirts, etc.

Perhaps a new topic to work out some more solid ideas would be good  :)

Lancer

Quote from: Pylon on January 04, 2008, 04:35:36 PM
Thanks for the kudos.  I like the idea and agree it would be beneficial - again, to get the name out there.  Button downs and non-uniform polos for casual wear, hoodies with nicely applied "Civil Air Patrol" much like the collegiate ones for cadets, some non-corny, other-than-black t-shirts, etc.

Perhaps a new topic to work out some more solid ideas would be good  :)

Hoodies would be a great addition. There's a crafty member of our wing who created her own embroidered CAP hoodies for her and her son and they look sharp too, just a 3 point prop centered on the front with 'Civil Air Patrol' underneath. Nice.

Did you miss my post in the other thread about the oxfords at Vanguard and the mock turtlenecks they're coming out with? Granted there needs to be more choices, but it's a start.

Regarding everything else in your original post. I need a new neck because I wore mine out nodding in agreement with 99.9999999% of what you posted. Many of your IT and PR ideas have been brought up on here by me many times since I've joined CAPtalk.

Here's a thought. Put that into proposal form and post the PDF here, I'll gladly forward to my wing CC for his review and discussion at the next NB meeting and others can do this as well.

Stonewall

Quote from: Lancer on January 04, 2008, 05:03:16 PMjust a 3 point prop centered on the front with 'Civile Air Patrol' underneath. Nice.

Hope they didn't misspell it on the hoodie.

Edit:  ahhh, you fixed it.
Serving since 1987.

Lancer

Quote from: Stonewall on January 04, 2008, 05:05:19 PM
Quote from: Lancer on January 04, 2008, 05:03:16 PMjust a 3 point prop centered on the front with 'Civile Air Patrol' underneath. Nice.

Hope they didn't misspell it on the hoodie.

Grrrr...UK, you're fast...I caught it after I posted it. That's what happens when you type too fast.  :D

RiverAux

QuoteBuy a CAP tactical vehicle for show, similiar to AF and Army's recruiting-oriented hummers. Have it make the circuit to airshows, trade shows, conferences and public events throughout the year. 
I don't think that would be feasible unless you want to have someone paid full time to drive it to and from all these shows. 

QuoteWhere possible, make GA-8s and glass-cockpit 182's more available for a wide array airshows & aviation events, and coordinate those efforts to get them there.
Pretty much every wing has, or will soon have, the glass cockpit 182s and some are already using them in that fashion.  Using the GA8 anywhere other than its home base would pretty much be a bait-and-switch scam since they are so few and far between. 

afgeo4

Great list!

Dunno where we'd get the funding for all this.

Do have one suggestion though...

Instead of having a recruiting vehicle like the USAF Raptor, why not create vinyl wraps for our existing vans? They're very colorful and inexpensive. They can be removed before the sale of the vehicle and reinstalled on another. There can be 3 versions of such covers, each with its theme of AE, CP or ES. The website and phone number for CAP recruiting at NHQ would be prominent. Most military, government, and corporate vehicles already have such graphics.

Most of our vans are Ford E-series 15 pax, Chevrolet Express 12 pax or Dodge Ram Van 12 pax

The Dodges are leaving, so I wouldn't outfit those. I'd concentrate on the Ford and
Chevrolet and whatever else they might be getting next (Sprinter?).

Here's one company that does it: http://www.carwraps.net/samples/Vans1.html
GEORGE LURYE

Eeyore

Capt Rivera

Quote from: FW on January 03, 2008, 07:08:31 PM
The CAP Foundation is not fully organized yet.  It has only met twice and, I think, hasn't yet received full tax exempt status.  I know, however, there are donors ready to give when things are finally established.

i asked the knowledge base for a update a little while ago, click the link to be taken to it:
http://tinyurl.com/3ylwfr
I was disappointed in the response....

Quote from: Lancer on January 04, 2008, 05:03:16 PM
Here's a thought. Put that into proposal form and post the PDF here, I'll gladly forward to my wing CC for his review and discussion at the next NB meeting and others can do this as well.

I also agree... Take what is here, format it correctly and pdf it. I would also forward it to my wing king.... [sorry to pass the buck and not do it myself... but yea, way to much on my plate right now...]

edited: made a tinyurl
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

tjaxe

Quote from: Lancer on January 04, 2008, 05:03:16 PM
Did you miss my post in the other thread about the oxfords at Vanguard and the mock turtlenecks they're coming out with? Granted there needs to be more choices, but it's a start.

Oops. I must've missed that post. Sorry about that!   :-[

I think I'll start that separate topic Pylon suggested...

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 05, 2008, 07:39:36 AM
Great list!

Dunno where we'd get the funding for all this.

Do have one suggestion though...

Instead of having a recruiting vehicle like the USAF Raptor, why not create vinyl wraps for our existing vans? They're very colorful and inexpensive. They can be removed before the sale of the vehicle and reinstalled on another. There can be 3 versions of such covers, each with its theme of AE, CP or ES. The website and phone number for CAP recruiting at NHQ would be prominent. Most military, government, and corporate vehicles already have such graphics.

Vinyl wraps can be nice, again as part of a coordinated branding effort (the wraps need to match the brochures, match the website, match the PSAs, match the other marketing pieces, etc.). 

One just has to ensure that they aren't gawdy or tacky, but rather a professional and effective use of our image.  A good suggestion, for sure.  Thanks George.  :)

NIN

Quote from: Pylon on January 08, 2008, 05:07:40 PM
Vinyl wraps can be nice, again as part of a coordinated branding effort (the wraps need to match the brochures, match the website, match the PSAs, match the other marketing pieces, etc.). 

One just has to ensure that they aren't gawdy or tacky, but rather a professional and effective use of our image.  A good suggestion, for sure.  Thanks George.  :)

A number of years ago, I was driving to work and saw a Disabled American Veterans-provided 12-pax van on the highway with a BEAUTIFUL wrap job on it. Really classy, very tasteful, smooth. 

I said "Darn, we should do that for our vans!"

So I put together a proposal to do a small pilot program and wrap two vans here in NH and track our recruiting from it. Setup a special phone number and web URL so we could gauge the effectiveness of the campaign, etc.

The reply from National?

"That's not in 77-1.. Can't do it."

I threw up my hands and said "OK, fine, forget it."

We then did a pilot program with one of those on-screen advertising outfits (the slides in the theater while you're waiting for the preview to start). Again, special URL for the campaign, easy to remember so that people could fairly easily remember it and go home with it.  I think we got three hits.  Three.

I think the van wrap is far more effective and interesting (your exposure is MUCH higher to a MUCH larger number of people for a longer period of time). Heck, even parked and unoccupied, the van would be garnering interest.

*sigh*

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Lancer

Page 13 of the CAP PAO National Marketing Plan outlines the use of vehicle wraps.

GOAL:
Increase name and brand recognition by providing car/van wraps for every sanctioned CAP vehicle over three years.

Strategy: Conduct a focus group with volunteers to design final artwork for wrap.

This is a proposed national marketing plan pending approval by the CAP Board of Governors.

An example of such that has already been used at the 2007 NBB.

Pylon

Quote from: Lancer on January 08, 2008, 05:54:32 PM
Page 13 of the CAP PAO National Marketing Plan outlines the use of vehicle wraps.

GOAL:
Increase name and brand recognition by providing car/van wraps for every sanctioned CAP vehicle over three years.

Strategy: Conduct a focus group with volunteers to design final artwork for wrap.

This is a proposed national marketing plan pending approval by the CAP Board of Governors.

An example of such that has already been used at the 2007 NBB.

Why?  Why are you making me cry?  :'(

Citizens serving communities?  Really?  That matches none of the marketing efforts currently underway (unless NHQ wants to admit to running concurrent & competing marketing campaigns).

While the fact that they're open to the idea is a good start, this is why I said it needs to be part of a coordinated effort that's part of a newly created CAP branding.  If you roll out the van wraps and then come up with a new branding a year later, you've just wasted money on those wraps.  And the existing branding (or lack thereof) completely sucks in a number of ways.

I'm sure the van wraps seemed like a good idea at the time (and ultimately they are), but that's because people are okay with having a poor marketing plan.  Develop great branding and master plan first, then invest in the materials.

Plus I hate that people serving communities logo.  Who created that?  A 6th grader in MS Paint using clip art?  That's about as bad as the "Civil Air Patrol" sticker on the sides of our vans now (the one with the plane flying through it).  That one looks like somebody won an AE coloring contest and they put it on all that vans.   

Lancer

Quote from: Pylon on January 08, 2008, 06:02:37 PM
Why?  Why are you making me cry?  :'(

Citizens serving communities?  Really?  That matches none of the marketing efforts currently underway (unless NHQ wants to admit to running concurrent & competing marketing campaigns).

While the fact that they're open to the idea is a good start, this is why I said it needs to be part of a coordinated effort that's part of a newly created CAP branding.  If you roll out the van wraps and then come up with a new branding a year later, you've just wasted money on those wraps.  And the existing branding (or lack thereof) completely sucks in a number of ways.

I'm sure the van wraps seemed like a good idea at the time (and ultimately they are), but that's because people are okay with having a poor marketing plan.  Develop great branding and master plan first, then invest in the materials.

Plus I hate that people serving communities logo.  Who created that?  A 6th grader in MS Paint using clip art?  That's about as bad as the "Civil Air Patrol" sticker on the sides of our vans now (the one with the plane flying through it).  That one looks like somebody won an AE coloring contest and they put it on all that vans.   

Dood... look at the date. That's before 'He who shall not be named' was gone. He was at NBB in 2007. Heck he probably drove that Explorer straight from Maxwell himself.

I just wanted to point out that wraps are being looked at. The problem is execution. That's the problem with an organization such as ours, too many cooks in the kitchen.

Again, I think issues like this get back to my believed reasoning for Brig Gen Courter's Advisor positions being created. (BTW, has anyone seen a real list of who has been chosen to serve in these positions?)

To use a football euphemism;  maybe one of these days we'll be score a 'touchdown', and not 'drop back and punt' like we've been doing.

pixelwonk

Quote from: Pylon on January 08, 2008, 06:02:37 PM

Quote from: Lancer on January 08, 2008, 06:15:12 PM
Dood... look at the date. That's before 'He who shall not be named' was gone. He was at NBB in 2007. Heck he probably drove that Explorer straight from Maxwell himself.
no, but the marketing folks drove him around in it once his flight brought him there.  :)

It's too easy to armchair QB this subject.
That vehicle towed the CAP (FEMA) trailer that served as a recruiting facility at Airventure.  Its $1200-1500 wrap matched the one on the trailer itself which cost around $3000.

I've been right up next to them, been in them, and truth is, they were well received by those in attendance.  And I'm talking about the current or former members that visited the area, not G.A. Joe Propstrike who wanders by looking for free hats.

The thing is, these wraps only stay good looking for so long before needing replacement.  That's the beef that I'd have with putting them on our vans.

Pylon

Quote from: Lancer on January 08, 2008, 06:15:12 PM
I just wanted to point out that wraps are being looked at. The problem is execution. That's the problem with an organization such as ours, too many cooks in the kitchen

Yes, and no.  In some respects, yes - because we've got all sorts of splintered efforts by a diverse group of people.  Someone suggests van wraps and we slap a few on, but before we consult with those putting out the brochures or the website or the recruiting materials.

No, in the sense that we may have too many unskilled line cooks - but what we really need is a few more skilled and experienced chefs with a penchant for establishing identity.

mikeylikey

^ I would be all for NHQ spending some $$$,$$$.$$ on hiring a national advertising firm.  Heck I think they should spend whatever it takes to get ads in Base/ Post/ Station newspapers, and military trade journals and the fine assortment of military times newspapers!

As far as the vehicle raps go, I am not to impressed.  I think they could have created something just a little better.  It is almost like "we have some money lets put some stickers on a new vehicle that WILL NOT BE SEEN because all the new vehicles are going to the Wing Commanders and his or her staff Officers". 
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Wasn't it a big advertising firm that talked us into spending $5 million on a racecar?

BigMojo

Quote from: tedda on January 08, 2008, 07:44:35 PM

The thing is, these wraps only stay good looking for so long before needing replacement.  That's the beef that I'd have with putting them on our vans.

We have had the same full wrap on our SKA tournament fishing boat for 5 years now, Salt water spray at 70mph, in direct sunlight, I can't think of tougher conditions. Still looks good as new, hasn't faded or peeled a bit. Lifespan I don't think is a viable argument in this case.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

mikeylikey

Quote from: RiverAux on January 15, 2008, 09:48:00 PM
Wasn't it a big advertising firm that talked us into spending $5 million on a racecar?

I don't think so.  The only advertising firm CAP has gone with in the past 6 years was that huge billboard company in 2002-2004.  I think that helped bring some Members in after 9/11

I think Nascar approached them through some sort of direct mailing or other means.
What's up monkeys?

pixelwonk

Quote from: BigMojo on January 15, 2008, 10:30:25 PM
I can't think of tougher conditions. Still looks good as new, hasn't faded or peeled a bit. Lifespan I don't think is a viable argument in this case.

Wrap vendors will tell you that the window areas will last only about two years.  Boats don't have windows.  Our vans do.  Big ones.
Still, you could very well be right.  Especially if the vehicles are garaged.

Just for giggles though, let's trailer your boat on missions and SAREXes for the next five years.
Let's drive it on unimproved roads, and through lumpy, gravely airshow parking areas.  Let's then pull it out of the mud.
In the winter, let's give it a break and only take it through snow, sleet, salty sleet, and freezing rain. Oh, and the gravel/sand/salt mixture that is sprayed all points north of Mason Dixon.

I'll drive.

afgeo4

If it doesn't last on windows, just wrap the lower half of the vehicle.

Technically there are 3 working sides to a vehicle... driver's side, passenger's side, and  rear. Coincidentally, there are 3 missions to CAP.

I think all wraps should be designed and contracted by NHQ. That way there's just one standard and one graphic to be adopted to different vehicle makes/models.

I think we could leave the hoods alone since they aren't prominent on vans and wont give you much surface for the dollar.
GEORGE LURYE

NIN

Quote from: RiverAux on January 15, 2008, 09:48:00 PM

Negative. the CAP NASCAR sponsorship was the brainchild of Civil Air Patrol's "Chief Advancement Officer" a guy named George Foreman (no, not that George Foreman, otherwise every unit would have a "Lean, Mean Fat-Grillin' Machine" on their S-3)

His one-trick "bring money into Civil Air Patrol" scheme was....

Spend $11 million on a NASCAR team.  For "exposure" of the organization, to other, seemingly philanthropic corporate racing sponsors, and to the largest organized sporting spectator audience in the world. Right?

What could possibly be wrong with this concept?

Mind you, I met the man when he brought Ashton Lewis and Car 46 to my unit meeting prior to a race at our local NASCAR venue.   Ashton was a super guy, very cool, very genuine.. An honest guy who wound up with a turkey of a sponsor.  This Freeman guy, however, struck me as a "good ol' boy who'd finally gotten 'his' NASCAR team."

(I say that from watching fairly closely his behavior and where he was/what he was doing compared to other "team owners".. Right there, on the track, David Clarks on, when they do the initial line up before they start... like all the other team owners...)

Yeah, it was a goat rope from day one.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Michael

I hope that CAP will quickly gain a large amount of interest in military music and resurrect the National Military Music Academy for 2009.

Bill Coons, C/Capt

mikeylikey

Quote from: MikeTA on January 17, 2008, 09:30:06 PM
I hope that CAP will quickly gain a large amount of interest in military music and resurrect the National Military Music Academy for 2009.

Probably not.  It is a shame, I met the two competing gentleman back in 1998, each fighting to get their schools made National Activities.  Now one is deceased, the other I believe moved on from CAP.  So unless someone steps up in Maryland Wing again......I doubt anything will come of it.  Sorry.
What's up monkeys?

Michael

Oh well. We can always have semi-private chamber/quintet groups.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

mikeylikey

^ Why don't you get a group together.  Start off by doing the music at an ENC graduation.  Move on from there. 
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Let's recap.  How did 2008 go (as far as progress I was hoping to see)?  (Reference, my original post: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=3948.0 )

Cadet Programs shop gets a big plus.  Cadet Great Start rolled out, as did online achievement tracking, the final versions of the Cadet Staff Handbook (great work!) and an updated AE textbook.  Meanwhile the CP shop continues work on new leadership textbooks and put out a white paper on online testing.  From the squadron perspective, the CP shop is turning out new and useful things for members in the field; the tools we have to work with are getting better regularly.  Are we 100% perfect yet?  Nope, but we're making steady and encouraging progress.   By far the most productive and "with it" office at NHQ.

Public Affairs, marketing, communications?   Still the massive train wreck they were a year ago.  Possibly worse off.  I won't even get started about the identity crisis/branding disaster.

IT (and marketing) started off with a positive in their column by releasing a separate recruiting website which separated public info/recruiting content from internal/member content (much like all of the armed forces do with their web presences).  However, later on in 2008 they not only lost that checkmark but dug themselves deeper in my book by rolling the member site into the recruiting site.  This issue has already been beaten to death, but let's just say I didn't know you could start at the bottom and sink.

Recruiting/Retention; Professional Development:  At my level, I saw no progress/improvements that I was looking for from NHQ.

CAP Foundation:  Uh, yeah -- no apparent progress.  Nobody still even knows you exist.  Did you read my post NEC?  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=6086.msg115566;topicseen#msg115566

Not exactly a great track record for my wish lists.  I am not terribly impressed with overall organizational improvement on the whole for 2008.  I expected much more change and improvement, I saw only little things.  This, to me, is very sad.   :'(    So, I guess its time for me to sit down and think about "If I were National Commander, what goals would I set for our organization for 2009?" and post my new dream list. 

Pumbaa

So in short it was mission failure for National - 2008. 

I believe it is going to have to fall on the squadrons to drive change and create tools for the locals to function and promote and grow.

SIMS is a great example of the creation of a tool that can.. and does benefit at the local level.  Squadrons/ members need to follow this model and produce other tools/ materials that will promote and help the local squadron.

Perhaps from the squadron level developing a way for ALL squadrons to have their own website that is a standard template and basic CAP information would be another good goal.  Get a unified message, look, etc..  i.e. branding.

Creating and distributing training material from the squadron level in areas that National is lacking.

Sadly I do not believe we can depend on National to help the squadron.  It behooves the grassroots to get out there and do something...

Pylon

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 28, 2008, 11:51:27 AM
So in short it was mission failure for National - 2008.

Only if you're basing their success or failure of my (fairly ambitious) wish list.  ;)

I'm sure NHQ has their own short-term goals set by the Executive Director and National Commander.  I'd be curious to see those for 2008 and see how they fared against those standards.

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 28, 2008, 11:51:27 AM
I believe it is going to have to fall on the squadrons to drive change and create tools for the locals to function and promote and grow.

SIMS is a great example of the creation of a tool that can.. and does benefit at the local level.  Squadrons/ members need to follow this model and produce other tools/ materials that will promote and help the local squadron.

Perhaps from the squadron level developing a way for ALL squadrons to have their own website that is a standard template and basic CAP information would be another good goal.  Get a unified message, look, etc..  i.e. branding.

Creating and distributing training material from the squadron level in areas that National is lacking.

Sadly I do not believe we can depend on National to help the squadron.  It behooves the grassroots to get out there and do something...

In the short term, lower-level units creating their own materials already is the norm.  It's also a contributing factor to many of the issues I perceive as significant impediments to our organizational success.  If you leave it up to the units to develop their own recruiting flyers, websites and business cards than every single persons' and units' materials won't look the same.  They could all be from different organizations.  That's a fractured identity.   

If you leave it up to the units to develop their own training curriculums for things like Airman Leadership School, NCO School, etc. then you're going to have a handful that rock and a large number that are mediocre and a few which probably are terrible.  Not everyone is gifted at creating effective, engaging, educational and efficient curriculum.

If you leave it up to the local units to create an information management tool (SIMS, for example - which is great at what it does), then when national rolls out a system for tracking that stuff online (E-Services), they don't interface.  So now you have three places you could be entering every test score... paper master record (as a hardcopy backup), SIMS, E-Services.

When National tackles these issues, you hope they approach it with a broad field of vision and consider all of the implications of their move.  So when they roll something out it's not fractured, or only mildly effective or creating duplicative work.