Main Menu

New and Old CAP IDs

Started by Stonewall, December 13, 2007, 08:28:59 PM

RiverAux

Considering that the AF went through the trouble of officially prohibiting CAP from having anything that looks vaguely similar to a military identification card when they redid AFI-10-2701 in 2005, I don't really believe that they had only recently tried to get CAC cards for CAP. 

mikeylikey

^ True that!  Forgot about it......thanks!
What's up monkeys?

DrJbdm

once again, are you all really surprised that the AF did that? look at us, its no wonder they want to distance themselves from us. Perhaps now is the time to take that good long hard look at ourselves and then make a strategy to regain the AF trust, respect and image. We have a lot of major changes to do in order to change the negative perception that the AF seems to have for us. The answer is not to pull away even further and do our own thing, that would only add to our problems. we have to do the changing, not the USAF.

Smokey

I was told the wording on the back of the card that said ...." Please provide any  assistance necessary to the bearer of this card in reaching a duty assignment in a civil defense emergency" was removed because someone (probably a lawyer) thought members might use that provision to comandeer a vehicle, or it would be used to get a break from the cops should a member get caught breaking a traffic law and claim they were enroute to a duty assignment.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

PHall

Quote from: Smokey on December 17, 2007, 02:21:51 AM
I was told the wording on the back of the card that said ...." Please provide any  assistance necessary to the bearer of this card in reaching a duty assignment in a civil defense emergency" was removed because someone (probably a lawyer) thought members might use that provision to comandeer a vehicle, or it would be used to get a break from the cops should a member get caught breaking a traffic law and claim they were enroute to a duty assignment.

You gotta remember that that little blurb was put on the cards back in the fifties when Civil Defense was a very real deal.

DrJbdm

You could add in the words: "while in the performance of official duties on an Air Force Assigned Mission, the bearer of this ID is considered to be a instrumentality of the United States of America and of the United States Air Force"  something to that effect might help us in doing our jobs.

PHall

Quote from: DrJbdm on December 17, 2007, 02:50:28 AM
You could add in the words: "while in the performance of official duties on an Air Force Assigned Mission, the bearer of this ID is considered to be a instrumentality of the United States of America and of the United States Air Force"  something to that effect might help us in doing our jobs.

Funny, in over 30 years of membership including more late night ELT missions then I can count, I've never needed a statement like that on my CAP ID card.
Not even at 0200 while talking to a curious cop who wanted to know what's going on.

RiverAux

The only people who have ever seen my CAP id card are other CAP members.  Our base doesn't care that I'm in CAP and just wants to see drivers license and registration. 

Stonewall

No one has ever read the back of my CAP ID either.  My point of this thread was to support my observation that CAP has moved further away from a military type organzation into more of a softer more comfy place for kids to hang out.  Maybe those aren't the right words, but in fewer words, more wimpy.

Looking back to my cadet daze, I thought it was the coolest thing to have those words on the back of my CAP ID.  Made me feel kind of cool; sort of real.  Again, one of the reasons why I joined CAP after leaving the Scouts.
Serving since 1987.

PhoenixRisen

Just to throw a question out there un-related to CAP ID cards:

It sez on the DoD Website for the Common Access Card that they were going to start to issue new versions ("Next Generation") starting way back on October '06.  (As shown here [Linky].)

My question is, why haven't they started issuing them?  Would anyone know?

My dad still has the old-style (Navy-civilian type).

And then on a note related to CAP - being that they're going to start to issue new ones, would this be a good thing for CAP? 

docspur

In November I went to Ft Campbell to visit a buddy of mine.  At the gate I turned in to get a pass, took in my CAP picture ID, DL, and insurance card...got a pass no problem...went through the gate & showed CAP picture ID and pass no problem.  I've been to Scott AFB and Ft Leonardwood...never had a problem getting on Base or Post.  If someone has had a problem I am just wondering what all happened...did the person go to get a pass first or just drive up to the gate?  That could be a problem if you haven't been given a pass first.  Or could there have been an attitude problem?  I do get asked what my business is and I've always got a good reason, whether visiting a buddy, was there for training, or going to clothing sales.  I've never just driven up to a gate "just because I wanted to go there."

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

mikeylikey

Anyone remember when posts/ bases were open, and there was no guard sitting in the shack?  Before 2001, it was seldom you would find a gate guard at any Army Post.  Somewhat seldom to find one at an AF base.  However, the Navy has always seemed to have guards.  Heck......I went to Quantico last year was just waived through without the Marine checking ID.  I hope they changed that. 

Back to topic.  I just got a new CAC, and the only thing different from previous CAC's was it only said "Army".  Before it said Active Duty.  I suppose they did that so everyone feels like they are the same. 

I have no idea what the deal is with those new ID Cards.  But when they are introduced, there is no reason for CAP to get one that says "Volunteer", "Auxiliaries" etc.  The guy flipping freaking burgers at the BK will get one, but not CAP.
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 18, 2007, 03:25:36 AMBack to topic.  I just got a new CAC, and the only thing different from previous CAC's was it only said "Army".  Before it said Active Duty.  I suppose they did that so everyone feels like they are the same. 

You must have had the same CAC for about 2 or 3 years then.  They got rid of the "ACTIVE DUTY" thing a few years ago to make the Guard and Reserves feel more like part of the total force.  My CAC just says "AIR FORCE", looks just like AD AF's CACs.

And yes, I remember open bases.  Ft. Belvoir used to be totally open except for the main gate.  Same with Ft. Bragg, Ft. Benning and Ft. Stewart.  You didn't even know you if you were on or off base half the time.
Serving since 1987.

Grumpy

I don't, but I remember pulling duty at the Main Gate during the 60's.

PHall

Quote from: Grumpy on December 18, 2007, 02:41:01 PM
I don't, but I remember pulling duty at the Main Gate during the 60's.

About the only "Open Base" that I can recall is Edwards AFB, CA. They didn't even put a fence around the place until 1985!

Grumpy

You got that right Phil.  I was in that squadron for three years as a reservist and we didn't have to pull gate duty.  Matter of fact when I moved from Quartz Hill (Lancaster) seven years ago they still were not manning it.