Main Menu

CAWG CC 'Departing' ?

Started by a2capt, September 11, 2007, 06:54:11 PM

Chappie

Quote from: PHall on October 08, 2007, 04:21:19 AM
Quote from: SARPilotNY on October 08, 2007, 03:02:44 AM
I think some of the reasons not to have groups is the commander's fear of losing control.  They seem always to be the micro-manager types.  CAWG, FLWG, TXWG are so large I could not understand how a commander could effectively run their wing.  Interesting that the new CAWG CC fired all of the Wing's deputy commanders.  I wonder what the new FLWG CC will do?

Ah, but he didn't fire ALL of the Deputy (actually Vice) Commanders. He just went back to the old system of one Vice Commander.

CAWG has operated very nicely for years with only one Vice Commander. There really wasn't much of a reason to go with two.

IIRC...this system was initiated around 1998 prior to Col. Myrick becoming the Wing Commander (Col. Brian Brammer was Wing CC).  At that time there were 2 vice commanders (one serving Northern CA and the other serving Southern CA).  At that time there were 25 Groups in the CAWG and there were consolidations to form the 7 Groups now currently utilized.   

IMHO....the system had been working well and serving the needs of the CAWG.  Both Col. Myrick (1999-2003) and Col. Nelson (2003-2007) conducted regular meetings with the Group Commanders --- something that hadn't happened during the tenure of Lt. Col. Muniz.  So the operational span of control for the past 8-9 years was through the Group Commanders.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

MIKE

Discontinuing thread drift.
Mike Johnston