Main Menu

People ruining CAPTalk

Started by C/Awesomenesss, November 07, 2014, 04:26:26 AM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: CyBorg on November 07, 2014, 08:00:53 PM
Cadet:

I will be the first to say that not all the "answers" I have received on CT have been to my personal liking.

One big life lesson: not everyone is going to tell you what you want to hear.  I don't like it any better than you do, but it's reality.

I could have been one to say "then all of you can just..." (use your imagination - and mods, I'm not trying to subvert the curse filter! :)).  However, I don't.  Why?  Because, although there are a very small few individuals on CT whose opinions I quite dislike, there are far, far more of them (say 98%) whose opinion, advice and counsel I do respect - and many of those I respect are those who have disagreed with me very strongly.  Sometimes I have to just go take a Pepto and an Aleve rather than let it breed resentment.

Another thing you need to remember, and I'm not trying to pull rank here, but you are a cadet.  On here you are dealing with officers, and at least one senior NCO (MSgt Harris - "Lordmonar").  You do have to show the respect that is due to people senior in rank to you - both at your local unit, and throughout CAP and whatever military personnel you may encounter.

I'm not perfect and have transgressed many times in the CAP world.  However, I try - not always successfully - to learn from my screwups and to avoid making them again.

My suggestion is that you do the same.

Cadet, this is really good advice. You should follow it.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 07, 2014, 08:22:09 PM
Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on November 07, 2014, 07:24:51 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on November 07, 2014, 05:38:29 PM

Sigh.  "You can lead a child to knowledge, but you cannot make him think." - Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack

A personal favorite on my book list...and a personal favorite in my list of quotes.

:clap:

It doesn't appear you were blessed with an overabundance of education..

Now that was just downright mean!   ;D  I rather like that book myself ... and I have perhaps more education than I need.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Chappie

Quote from: Awesomenesss on November 07, 2014, 04:47:45 AM
And prove that they answered my questions. Maybe im sooooooo dumb that I can't see the.

We did answer your questions, son, to the best of our ability and within regulations and core values.

You just didn't like the answers.

That is on you, youngster, not us.

Been a member of this forum for the same length of time (2006) ... and Col Jack could not have said it better.   

I stopped come to this site for a few months to see if it would be better but it got worse.

I've been a member of this site since 2006.  In the eight years I've been posting here, I've found this board to be a wonderful place to share thoughts and ideas about Civil Air Patrol.  Things haven't gotten worse here, they've gotten better.  Your attitude, on the other hand ....

Sigh.  "You can lead a child to knowledge, but you cannot make him think." - Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack

Been a member for the same length of time (2006) and Colonel Jack could not have said it better.   The only people that ruin CAPTALK are those "Seagull posters" ... those who swoop in for a short time --- drop a bunch a crap ... and fly out of here.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

lordmonar

Okay...to play devil's advocate.....yes...sometimes....we do dog pile people....sometimes newbies...and sometimes old timers too.   We all (I'm included in this "we all") can take a little chill pill from time to time and give people some slack.

Having said that.  If anyone feels they are being dumped on or yelled at inappropriately...there is a simple two step process to fix that.

1) Respond with a simple "that was not called for" post....you can even do this in a PM.
2) Report the thread/post/user to the moderators.......it's what they get paid to do.

Beyond that.  CAPTALK is for people who want to TALK about CAP.....and many related and unrelated subjects.  It is NOT the place to go for answers....That would be your chain of command.....or lord forbid the regulations.

I've been posting here for 8 years now (I need to find another hobby)....and CT is pretty much the same it has always been.  Maybe some of you really old timers can give a view of how it was when dinosaurse ruled the earth and you had to dial into AOL at 5.6K.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

5.6K...

LOL. BIX @ 300 baud, $13/mo and $1/hour via Tymnet dialup in 1986. BIX was a lot cheaper than CI$, GEnie and Delphi, though I had a free flag on GEnie if I was in certain RountTables.

Майор Хаткевич

AOL....I moved to the U.S. Dec 2001. Was that AOL 6.0?

whatevah

2001?  My house was on DSL by then. :)  I think we had even advanced to a router capable of controlling the DSL modem, no more software based connection sharing.  Man how times have changed... I've got a 105Mbit cable connection now. 
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

lordmonar

Quote from: a2capt on November 08, 2014, 01:59:59 AM
5.6K...

LOL. BIX @ 300 baud, $13/mo and $1/hour via Tymnet dialup in 1986. BIX was a lot cheaper than CI$, GEnie and Delphi, though I had a free flag on GEnie if I was in certain RountTables.
Yeah....but when I had my 300 baud modem.....you could not get onto any of those things.....you could only gateway into them from someone's BBS.

I did not want to confuse the kiddies too much.

AirAux

Awesomeness, if you have read enough of Captalk you should know by now that the best way to interact with the crew is to occasionally throw in something about uniforms.  It's like switching bait for catfish...

Private Investigator

Quote from: Awesomenesss on November 07, 2014, 04:47:45 AM
And prove that they answered my questions. Maybe im sooooooo dumb that I can't see the.

I think maturity and judgement should be #1 and #2 on your "to do" list. H.S. graduation will determine how dumb you are. If you are not going to make graduation at 17, "man up" and join the Army. JMHO YMMV  8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 07, 2014, 09:41:14 PM

Jack

A personal favorite on my book list...and a personal favorite in my list of quotes.

Now that was just downright mean!   ;D  I rather like that book myself ... and I have perhaps more education than I need.

Jack

I preferred "Podkayne Of Mars..."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on November 08, 2014, 06:42:52 PM

Jack

Jack

I have a special place in my heart for Heinlein, especially his juvenile novels.  My first exposure to science fiction was at six years old, with "Have Space Suit - Will Travel."  Two years later I saw the first episode ever of "Star Trek" and haven't looked back since.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

lordmonar

I loved Space Cadet.

I first found RAH through Time Enough For Love....I read the first few chapters and put it down....it was a friends book.
Then months later I was picked at random Methuselah children...not knowing it was RAH and when I saw Lazarus' name...I made the connection.

Then I found Starship Trooper....hooked.   Hated the movie though.

Eclipse

I would love to see a movie that actually honored the book...

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: lordmonar on November 08, 2014, 09:02:20 PM
I loved Space Cadet.

I first found RAH through Time Enough For Love....I read the first few chapters and put it down....it was a friends book.
Then months later I was picked at random Methuselah children...not knowing it was RAH and when I saw Lazarus' name...I made the connection.

Then I found Starship Trooper....hooked.   Hated the movie though.

Disgusted by the movie.

My first RAH was Space cadet; read it multiple times, thanks to the local library!

Like Eclipse says, I'd like to see a *good* movie about the book.

Garibaldi

Jack

Jack

No, not you. It was a quote from Firefly...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Flying Pig

One of the best things I ever did was delete several FB pages I followed.....  The internet is great if you know how to be mature on it.  If I site doesn't have what you are looking for, just move on.

RRLE

Quote from: CyBorg on November 08, 2014, 06:42:52 PM

Stranger In A Strange Land. A very early '70s favorite in my high school.

"Grok" made its way into hacker culture and the New Hacker Dictionary.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on November 08, 2014, 09:12:12 PM

The movie has it's own, interesting merits. I don't think of it as related to the book however.

So far that recent Tom Cruise movie and Avatar are as close as I've seen to the powered Mobile Infantry suits of Starship Troopers.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on November 09, 2014, 04:52:28 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 08, 2014, 09:12:12 PM

The movie has it's own, interesting merits. I don't think of it as related to the book however.

So far that recent Tom Cruise movie and Avatar are as close as I've seen to the powered Mobile Infantry suits of Starship Troopers.

That's probably one of the points it fails most - it took an interesting an irreverent view of future society, but essentially ignored
the exo-suits that were such a core part of the story and in-book universe.

I think it's another source that could make for a great "reimagining" ala BSG - perhaps a mini-series that covers the primary
storyline of the book, and then a full series in the same universe afterward.

"That Others May Zoom"