Main Menu

People ruining CAPTalk

Started by C/Awesomenesss, November 07, 2014, 04:26:26 AM

C/Awesomenesss

Hello everyone,

So what happened to this site? I thought it was a place to ask questions and get answers but i guess not. Ive ask so many questions about stuff and most of them don't get answered.

So thank you people who are ruining this site.

whatevah

Your "let's hear the gossip about why Cadet So-and-so was sent home from encampment" thread was incredibly inappropriate and would have gone a lot better had you not talked about how many competitions "your" color guard has won. Plus, the multitude of grammar infractions. 

Just let sleeping dogs lie, and don't beat dead horses... nothing good will come of it. Other cadets and seniors have tried to help you, but until you take a breath and ponder their usually useful input, you're going to see similar outcomes to your threads.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

C/Awesomenesss

I stopped come to this site for a few months to see if it would be better but it got worse.

C/Awesomenesss

And prove that they answered my questions. Maybe im sooooooo dumb that I can't see the.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Awesomenesss on November 07, 2014, 04:47:45 AM
And prove that they answered my questions. Maybe im sooooooo dumb that I can't see the.

The what?

No one owes you anything.  No answers. No explanations.

Either listen to the advice given, take a breather, or stop coming back.

The only reason it "gets worse" is because with every topic you dig your own hole even deeper.

By about this point Eclipse would have had 2-3 talks with me, and maybe even cadet promotion consequences.

Take a breather. Read. Don't post.

C/Awesomenesss

I like this site but I don't like people yelling at me.

SarDragon

Quote from: Awesomenesss on November 07, 2014, 05:00:33 AM

When I tell my doctor, "it hurts when I do this", he tells me, "then don't do this".

To extend that, if you don't want people to "yell" at you, don't do things that promote that behavior.

Here's a PM exchange we had a while back that perfectly defines the problem:

Quote from: SarDragon on September 04, 2013, 06:32:15 AM
QuoteIve had it up to here with all the negitive things said I ask one simple question and no one really told me what to do. I really starting to hate this site. I thought this was a site that you ask a question and other CAP members help you but i guess not.

It is a place to get help, but you need to follow the rules a little bet better. You asked for information. You got it. You apparently didn't like it, or think it met your needs. There's not much we can do about that.

Then you got a little bit of a smart-ass attitude. That didn't help.

After we suggested that you put a little more care into your posts, your response, quoted below, was incorrect and inappropriate. If you've been in CAP 4 years, that makes you at least 15, and likely 16. You should know better.

QuoteI did use proper grammar and spelling. So there. :p >:(

Examination of your posts reveals mistakes in punctuation, spelling, or grammar, in almost of every one of them. Your non-use of apostrophes is almost universal.

In general, you gain much more credibility and get better responses to your posts if you take a closer look at the grammar, punctuation, and/or spelling in them. Using the shift and apostrophe keys on your keyboard when needed is also a plus. Unlike texting and tweeting, we like to see real words, and complete sentences. "I'm posting from a phone" is not a good excuse.

While this is an informal forum, many posters try to make their posts look good to improve the credibility. Readers will treat your posts more seriously if they see that you think they are important enough to use correct English.

Your posts are a look at you and your attitude. If you don't care how your posts look, a lot of folks aren't going to care enough to help you out, or pay attention to what you write. There are also all kinds of people reading what you write on CT who could help decide your future, particularly in CAP.

Quote from: Awesomenesss on September 04, 2013, 02:35:04 PM
whatever.

Things are no better now. We've lead the horse to water, but he won't drink.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

a2capt

Pylon

You've been counseled by many experienced senior members from this site, myself also included in that group.  We've tried to explain what constitutes appropriate posting material and what types of threads and posts are not acceptable. We've explained repeatedly that you need to attempt to write like a future DAAL and not in text-speak or broken English. We've explained why these things are important.

You've received thoughtful answers to many of your questions, but when the answer doesn't suit you, you cop an attitude with those who were being helpful.

You have been shown and had explained the same set of rules by which everybody else in the community abides and yet you choose to ignore them.  Your welcome here is growing thin and you would do well to heed the feedback here lest you find yourself being shown the door.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

ColonelJack

Quote from: Awesomenesss on November 07, 2014, 05:00:33 AM

Perhaps if you were to take the advice you've been given to heart and start following it, you wouldn't feel as if people were yelling at you.

You bring it upon yourself, you know.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

C/Awesomenesss

This site is turning into a gossip site instead of a help site

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Awesomenesss on November 07, 2014, 04:53:37 PM

Do you even know what that means?

Do you even read what people write?

Do you even understand what they write?

Or are you just trying to get yourself suspended/banned?

Huey Driver

Quote from: Awesomenesss on November 07, 2014, 04:53:37 PM

Can you define "gossip," and then somehow explain to me that your 'Encampment' thread was not exactly that?

QuoteHow many people got sent home when you were at your encampment(s)?
I love to hear the story why he/she went home.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

ColonelJack

Quote from: Awesomenesss on November 07, 2014, 04:47:45 AM

We did answer your questions, son, to the best of our ability and within regulations and core values.

You just didn't like the answers.

That is on you, youngster, not us.

I stopped come to this site for a few months to see if it would be better but it got worse.

I've been a member of this site since 2006.  In the eight years I've been posting here, I've found this board to be a wonderful place to share thoughts and ideas about Civil Air Patrol.  Things haven't gotten worse here, they've gotten better.  Your attitude, on the other hand ....

Sigh.  "You can lead a child to knowledge, but you cannot make him think." - Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Майор Хаткевич

Been on and off myself since early 2007. You constantly get that one special troll (RM), or the monthly hot-head cadet who gets on here, follows a script of actions and comments, and either gets himself banned or quits. Pretty standard fare.

Cadetter

Sometimes have to remind myself to at least try not to be the said hot-headed cadet.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 07, 2014, 05:38:29 PM

Sigh.  "You can lead a child to knowledge, but you cannot make him think." - Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack

A personal favorite on my book list...and a personal favorite in my list of quotes.

:clap:

The CyBorg is destroyed

Cadet:

I will be the first to say that not all the "answers" I have received on CT have been to my personal liking.

One big life lesson: not everyone is going to tell you what you want to hear.  I don't like it any better than you do, but it's reality.

I could have been one to say "then all of you can just..." (use your imagination - and mods, I'm not trying to subvert the curse filter! :)).  However, I don't.  Why?  Because, although there are a very small few individuals on CT whose opinions I quite dislike, there are far, far more of them (say 98%) whose opinion, advice and counsel I do respect - and many of those I respect are those who have disagreed with me very strongly.  Sometimes I have to just go take a Pepto and an Aleve rather than let it breed resentment.

Another thing you need to remember, and I'm not trying to pull rank here, but you are a cadet.  On here you are dealing with officers, and at least one senior NCO (MSgt Harris - "Lordmonar").  You do have to show the respect that is due to people senior in rank to you - both at your local unit, and throughout CAP and whatever military personnel you may encounter.

I'm not perfect and have transgressed many times in the CAP world.  However, I try - not always successfully - to learn from my screwups and to avoid making them again.

My suggestion is that you do the same.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Garibaldi

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on November 07, 2014, 07:24:51 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on November 07, 2014, 05:38:29 PM

Jack

A personal favorite on my book list...and a personal favorite in my list of quotes.

:clap:

It doesn't appear you were blessed with an overabundance of education..
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things