Main Menu

Log off and PT

Started by Stonewall, February 02, 2013, 06:45:29 PM

BFreemanMA

I felt the need to chime in as well with all the great success stories!

My fiancee and I are getting married in a few months and, while I was within H/W standards for CAP, I wanted to look as good as possible both in both my wedding tux and my CAP uniform. I had tried P90X the summer before, but it wasn't very sustainable due to some of the longer workouts. So I decided about 3 weeks ago to eat the P90X diet, but running on the elliptical/track as often as possible. The track didn't work out since I kept getting shin splints, but the ellipitcal is like magic. I can easily go 30-40 mins and not feel a thing!

I now have a morning weight that is 12 pounds lighter than when I started! I knew that a big part of my problem was my diet. I generally eat healthily, but my portions were entirely too large and too heavy in the carb department. Combining the diet of P90X with a less-regimented, but still rigorous, routine is having quite the effect.

For the diet, you can google it, but it's essentially a "low carb" diet with an emphasis on proteins and vegetables. I can also eat six times a day, which is good for a former fat kid like myself  >:D. The first week or two were pretty rough as my body had grown reliant on the carbs, but it got easier to the point where I no longer salivate uncontollably at the pizza commercial on TV!

I also have to put out a plug for an smartphone app called "Zombies, Run!" I absolutely hate running, to be honest. This app has helped me look forward to running and cardio. It places you inside an interactive story where you are a "runner" for a post-apocolyptic community. You go out and do missions and supply runs for your town and decide how to spend your supplies to beef up your town's defense or your people's morale. The story is pretty good too. Most fun are the zombie mobs: when you go out on a supply run, there's a chance that zombies could come after you. If you don't run faster, they'll catch you and you'll lose your supplies. For a geek like me, it triggers the gamer instinct and keeps the weight off! If you want to look into it, check it out at www.zombiesrungame.com.

So happy to hear all the other positive reports of weight loss! Even though I am an AEO, I know that I am a symbol of CAP to the cadets and my community whether I have the uniform on or not. I feel it is my duty to be healthy and take the core values to heart. Keep it up, all!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Stonewall

Quote from: BFreemanMA on May 10, 2013, 12:30:57 PMI now have a morning weight that is 12 pounds lighter than when I started! I knew that a big part of my problem was my diet. I generally eat healthily, but my portions were entirely too large and too heavy in the carb department. Combining the diet of P90X with a less-regimented, but still rigorous, routine is having quite the effect.

Awesome start!!!  Congrats.

Sorry for the use of the term, but I've become a food/nutrition/diet Nazi since I made the nutrition adjustment 3+ years ago.  My eyes were opened wide after I realized what I had been doing wrong for so many years.  And yes, portion control was a HUGE issue.  Granted, that wasn't my only issue, but it was a contributing factor to my weight gain.  More so, was my over indulgence in carbs.  Man, I ate at least twice as many as I should have.  It sickens me to look back at that, and that's why it sickens me to see otehers doing the same, especially when they're obese beyond comprehension.

Quote from: BFreemanMA on May 10, 2013, 12:30:57 PMFor the diet, you can google it, but it's essentially a "low carb" diet with an emphasis on proteins and vegetables. I can also eat six times a day, which is good for a former fat kid like myself  >:D. The first week or two were pretty rough as my body had grown reliant on the carbs, but it got easier to the point where I no longer salivate uncontollably at the pizza commercial on TV!

My first week or two was rough, too.  But that was 3+ years ago so obviously it's something that CAN be done long-term.  I'm not on a "LOW CARB" diet, because diet plans are temporary.  What I did was identified and more importantly, accepted the the fact, that I (and the rest of America) consume far too many carbs.  Once I accepted it, I reduced what I took in to a more realistic and healthy level.  At first, I think I was a little extreme, trying to consume fewer than 100g of carbs a day.  Now that I have it under control, I fluctuate between 125 and 200 grams of carbs.  I eat pizza, pasta, bread, and all the things that make people fat, but I eat them in moderation and when I DO eat them, I buy the right types of foods.  Ones that are high in fiber and use whole wheat.  I never buy/eat bleached (white) pasta, bread, tortillas, or pizza.  In fact, I even buy the whole wheat pizza crust.

I wish I could persuade more people to make the effort.  It feels better than winning the lottery (in a lot of ways...the more important ways).
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

I can now run a Mile in 11 Minutes. Run a Half mile in under 6 minutes, and have lost around 12 pounds since April 8th. I Walk/Jog everyday with a 15 pond ruck sack. I can walk anwhere from 2-3 Miles sometimes I will do 4 miles. I base my diet of the No Think Diet, try to eat no bread, fruits, soft drinks, pasta, noodles etc. I eat alot of Chicken, Broccoli, Fish, Nuts, Beef Jerky, Sweet Potatos, Etc. I havnt had a soft drink in over a Month. I have 4 choices of drinks I can drink, Water, Hot Water, Cold Water, and Black Cofee.  Losing weight Equals Diet/Exercise.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 10, 2013, 02:47:03 PM
I base my diet of the No Think Diet, try to eat no bread, fruits, soft drinks, pasta, noodles etc. I eat alot of Chicken, Broccoli, Fish, Nuts, Beef Jerky, Sweet Potatos, Etc. I havnt had a soft drink in over a Month. I have 4 choices of drinks I can drink, Water, Hot Water, Cold Water, and Black Cofee.  Losing weight Equals Diet/Exercise.

Losing weight is the easy part, because anyone can go on a diet plan/program for a few weeks or months.  You are losing weight and that is awesome!  But how long can you do without all the good stuff that you're not eating right now?  At some point, you're going to break.

I tried doing some research about how long the average diet (plan/program) lasts, as in, how long does the average person last on a diet, and I saw everything from 7 days to 3 1/2 months.  But one thing that is true is that 95% of people gain the weight back after they diet, and most gain more weight than they originally weighed.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I've seen it for years, with almost everyone I know that has followed a diet plan.  They ALL return to their old habits.  A friend of my wife that we've known for 20+ years has always been overweight.  Why?  Because she eats like crap, but she always says "I just can't seem to keep the weight off."  Well, yeah, I saw her eat 10 wings as an appetizer followed by a cheeseburger wrap (but it's okay, it's a wrap...NOT).  Not only that, but she drinks those huge fish bowl type adult fruity drinks that have tons of sugar.  She decided to get lap band surgery and has lost 40 lbs so far.  It kills me because everyone on her Facebook page is so proud of her for taking a stand against her weight.  No, she didn't, she gave in and took the easy (and painful/risky) way out. 

Anyway, I digress.  Exercise is a must!  You must move your body and walking is a great way to start.  Just moving your body does wonders for you.  But don't starve yourself and don't think you can quit all the fun tasty stuff cold turkey.  You need nutrients and energy.  Read the labels, learn how many calories, carbs, and sodium you're putting into your body.  Once you compare what you should be eating with what you are eating, you'll probably be shocked.
Serving since 1987.

Critical AOA

In July 2000, I weighed 255 lbs.  A year later I weighed 180 lbs as the result of diet and exercise. That was a 75 lb drop.  It wasn't hard.  I held 180 ~ 185 for about 2 years.  10 years later I have creeped back up to 220 lbs as the result of little exercise and slipping on my diet.  Time to make good decisions again... as soon as I finsih this pizza and beer. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AngelWings

I to necro this thread, but I've been doing something Lt. Col. Stonewall suggested me. I've been using my rucksack to go out running and to hike. 20 pounds in the running rucksack and 85 in my hiking rucksack. I've also sought a personal trainer who helped me too, and now I'm in the best shape I've ever been! My legs are ridiculously strong now. I can leg press up to 800 now, my run time is getting better and better, my clothes are fitting much better, and I don't feel like a complete fat slob anymore.

20 more pounds to go and I'll be in great shape!

Black Knight

I run cross country, play base/softball, do track, play volleyball, and play trumpet (which is quite a workout) and practically run across school to get to my next class. I think Im good. And my mile time is 6:02. Still think im good
C/CMSgt Millson
First Sergeant
Rome City School District Cadet Squadron
NER-NY-801

Spaceman3750

Hiked a 5 mile trail today. Had fun, am exhausted.

isuhawkeye

I ran my first 20K this weekend.  It was hard, but I'm glad I got it done

stillamarine

Quote from: isuhawkeye on June 02, 2013, 10:48:20 PM
I ran my first 20K this weekend.  It was hard, but I'm glad I got it done

If you had done another 1000m you could say you finished your first half marathon. ;-)  I've done two so far.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Stonewall

I was in the field for 4 days last week (field, as in, no showers or hot food, field) and according to my UP fitness bracelet, I burned an average of 4,200 calories per day and moved an average of 13 miles per day.  All meals were MREs and since I don't eat an entire meal at any one sitting, I'm guessing I averaged about 2 complete MREs a day.

I also consumed about 300 oz of water each day as well. 

Temps were close to 90, but humidity had it feeling closer to mid-90s.

Each day started at 0600 and carried on for roughly 15 to 16 hours a day.

I foolishly used to worry that I was losing out on valuable workout time in the field.  Obviously I was concerned for nothing.

FWIW, a week ago I evaluated a 6 mile ruck march for caloric burn.  At a moderate 17 min mile pace with 40 lbs, I burned exactly 2,000 calories +/-.  I probably actually walked a 15 min pace, but I stopped twice to switch out water bottles, tighten up my shoes, and a run to the wood line for a quick pee.

Serving since 1987.

NIN

Quote from: Stonewall on June 04, 2013, 12:28:31 PM
[...] and a run to the wood line for a quick pee.

That was a detail you could have left out and all of us would have been fine, bro.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

♠SARKID♠

I recently made a change in my diet and exercise, mainly from TOO MUCH and NONE to mindful and some.  I started on Thursday the 13th and through a simple combination of not force feeding myself at every opportunity and riding my bike every day I can, I'm already down a couple pounds. I'm switching from see-food to seafood, vegging to veggies, and learning to care about what's on the label. It isn't easy, but easier than I thought. I've tried dieting in the past but I either lacked the motivation or did things dangerous to my health.

I just turned 24, I'm 6'4" and weighed 325 pounds when I started. My goal is to work my way down to 220lbs.

My reward when I'm done? This.
PPG for Morons (presents) Sea of Green, Sky of Blue

Stonewall

I had a cadet who was 6' 4" and 300+ lbs.  He made "the change" with the goal of becoming an Air Force PJ.

He is now a PJ!
Serving since 1987.

Mustang

You're talking about Tom I presume. 300 lbs? Really?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

♠SARKID♠

Nine days in, twelve pounds down.  :)

Stonewall

Quote from: Mustang on June 22, 2013, 07:08:42 AM
You're talking about Tom I presume. 300 lbs? Really?

Yes.  Graduated high school at 300 lbs. 
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

I've been on orders for 6 weeks now and have another 2 before I'm done, so my workouts have been a little different from the norm.  Number one reason for this is that I have more time than I usually do back home.  I'm off at 1500 and can work out as long as I want.

I've established Fridays as "hump-a-ruck Friday" where I throw my 35 lbs pack on and hump it around base.  I also downloaded the "Nike Running" app for my iPhone to track my time, distance, an pace.  I like it because I can set it to tell me every time I reach another 1/4 mile.  It also tell me the distance traveled and my average pace.  All good information when you establish goals like I do.

Yesterday I did 6 miles at a 14:18 pace (no running).  Once I hit my 6 mile mark I walked slowly for another 1/4 mile to stretch it out and cool down.  I'm rather confined on my small Guard base, so I used the half mile track for 2 of the miles, but you can see how it works.  It's pretty cool!

Also, it's a great way to burn calories!  I've averaged about 1,300 calories per hour.

Serving since 1987.

♠SARKID♠

^Nice! I use the Endomondo Sports Tracker app.  Looks like its a pretty similar program to the Nike app.

Today has been exactly one month since I started my diet/exercise regimen. Twenty five pounds down, 1/4 way there!

isuhawkeye

Yeah buddy.  Read to do some work