Main Menu

FLWG E-Mail on iPhone

Started by Stonewall, October 03, 2012, 08:00:00 PM

Stonewall

I'm a non-tech type, and I just got an iPhone and want to set my FLWG email (flwg.us) account up like I have my gmail account.

Any fellow Gater CAPers around to help a guy out?
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

It'd probably be easier and better to have your gmail account pull in the flwg.us messages, which would then show up in
the phone as well.

The only issue wold be the "send-as", which is seamless for Gmail, not sure it wold be on iPhone.

"That Others May Zoom"

Angus

Well there might be a way.  Who is hosting your email?   If FLWG is the same as MAWG while it's a unique ending "flw.us" it could be hosted through google.  If that's the case let me know I"ll send you the instructions I've got my "mawg.cap.gov" on my iPhone. And the send as is my MAWG address.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Huey Driver

I have my NJWG mail on my iPhone, set up like a Gmail account. It is hosted by Google, but I'm pretty sure you can easily set yours up with the options that Mail on the iPhone gives you.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Stonewall

I forgot I posted this.

On my blackberry I had 3 emails set up.  Gmail, Work (outlook) and my FLWG email account that was by "smartmail" or something.

I can add an email account to my iPhone, but it doesn't seem as though I have all the info.
Serving since 1987.

a2capt

The inbuilt iOS mail app blows for changing the sender address. The Gmail provided one works much better, and is a nice replacement.

To setup any gmail account using the inbuilt client, including hosted, choose the "Gmail" option when adding, and if it's @gmail.com, you just need to enter your user/mailbox name. That is, leave off @gmail.com. If it's Google Apps/Hosted domains, then you need to include the whole thing, "user@domainservedbygmail.com" - Additionally, for both, the "Real Name" needs to be entered exactly as it shows on the Gmail/Apps account or you will probably get a login/authentication error.

It's simplest to have Gmail pick up all your other mail, their spam filtering works the best in my opinion, and using the gmail app, changing the sender is done by tapping the sending address, and a list will appear of all the accounts enabled sender options.

Stonewall

FLWG uses SmarterMail for the wing email system.  I googled and found some instructions but they don't coincide with what's on my phone.  Grrr..
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

I got it figured out!!!  Thanks to Google-Fu I found this:  http://www.sidetrips.com/support/manual_email_smatermail_imap_iphone.asp

Setup SmarterMail for IMAP with an iPhone

SmarterMail IMAP connection to an iPhone or iPhone 3G with Firmware 2.0.x.

On the iPhone, click the Settings button
Click Mail, Contacts, Calendars button
Click the Add Account button
Click Other
Fill out the Name, Address (email address), Password and Description Fields
Click Save
Make sure IMAP is selected
Enter your Incoming Mail Server information
Hostname is generally mail.yourdomainname.com. If you aren't sure, contact your email hosting company
Username is your full email address
Password is the same password used to access webmail.
Enter your Outgoing Mail Server information
Hostname is generally mail.yourdomainname.com. If you aren't sure, contact your email hosting company
Username is your full email address
Password is the same password used to access webmail.
Click Save
The iPhone will attempt to establish an SSL connection to your IMAP and SMTP servers.
If this fails, you will see a prompt "Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL."
Click No.
Click Save
When prompted "This account may not be able to send or receive emails. Are you sure you want to save?", select Save.
Click the account you just added (identified by your email address)
Scroll down and click the SMTP button.
Select the server you just added, identified by the hostname from step 9a.
Select "OFF" for Use SSL.
Select "Password" for Authentication
Select "25" for Server Port.
Click the SMTP button to go back
Click your email address to go back
Click Advanced
Scroll down to Incoming Settings.
Select "OFF" for Use SSL
Select "Password" for Authentication
Select "143" for Server Port
Click your email address to go back
Click Mail to go back
Hit the Home button
Hit the Mail App to check your configuration

Serving since 1987.

a2capt

..and that's Smarter? Look at all those steps.

Stonewall

Well, I can get it to receive, but not send.  [darn] it.
Serving since 1987.

Woodsy

domain name for both ingoing and outgoing are mail.flwg.us

Username and password are whatever yours are...

SmarterMail Enterprise 10.0 is a great program.  It's basically Outlook on steroids with lots of features. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Woodsy on October 05, 2012, 01:40:08 AMSmarterMail Enterprise 10.0 is a great program.  It's basically Outlook on steroids with lots of features.

Lord - the only thing worse then Outlook would be Outlook on Steroids.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 01:45:48 AM
Quote from: Woodsy on October 05, 2012, 01:40:08 AMSmarterMail Enterprise 10.0 is a great program.  It's basically Outlook on steroids with lots of features.

Lord - the only thing worse then Outlook would be Outlook on Steroids.

haha, I mean that in a good way.  All the features, much fewer weaknesses and problems.  It's a good program.

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 01:45:48 AMLord - the only thing worse then Outlook would be Outlook on Steroids.
I always thought it should have been called Lookout!

Stonewall

Okay, I never got this accomplished.  I thought I did, but I didn't.

The SmarterMail help site gives instructions, which I followed, but I still cannot complete setup.

Applies to: Enterprise only

Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync is available as an optional add-on to SmarterMail.  Unlike other synchronization methods, Exchange ActiveSync uses direct push technology to sync email, calendars, and contacts to the iPhone in real time.

Once you have activated the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync add-on and enabled Exchange ActiveSync for the specific SmarterMail mailbox, you will need to configure the iPhone to function with Exchange ActiveSync.

To set up your iPhone to access Exchange ActiveSync, follow these steps:

1.On your iPhone's home screen, tap Settings.

2.Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

3.Tap Add Account.

4.Tap Microsoft Exchange.

5.Complete the following required fields:

◦Email (your full email address)
◦Domain name
◦Username (with @domainname.com)
◦Password
◦Description (Optional)

6.Tap Next.

7.After a moment, the iPhone will ask for the server information. This is the URL to your webmail. For example, mail.example.com. NOTE: Do not include http:// when entering the server information.

8.Tap Next.

9.If your webmail does not support SSL, the following message will display: "Exchange account verification failed."

◦Tap Next and then tap Save. Complete step 10 of these setup instructions.
◦After step 10, edit the account you just added.
◦Tap Account Info.
◦Change "Use SSL" to "Off."

10.The iPhone will display a list of collaboration items to sync with Exchange ActiveSync. Choose from the list and tap Done to initiate the first sync.

For more information, refer to the Synchronization section of the SmarterMail Online Help.

Article ID: 1890, Created On: 10/7/2011, Modified: 3/14/2012

When all is said and done a pop up says "unable to connect to server".

I sent an email to the FLWG IT dude/department and never got a reply.

Anyone in FLWG that has an iPhone 4s that has successfully accomplished this?  Anyone?  I am a non-tech type, so I'm a bit ignorant, but I usually figure this crap out.
Serving since 1987.