Main Menu

C/BGen

Started by BillB, August 31, 2012, 11:02:14 AM

BillB

I'll ask this here since it applies to both CAP History and Cadet Programs.  Late in the 1940's I got a phone call from the Wing Commander telling me I was appointed a Cadet Brig. General.  However a week later he called and said that ROTC complained that since they didn't have Cadet Brig Generals, CAP couldn't. At the time the highest grade in the cadet program was a cadet major, so to me it didn't make sense, but hey, I was a teenager, what did I know. I und3erstand that nationally six cadets were appointed a C/BGen in the short period, One in FL, GA, NY, CA and I'm unsure of the rest. Anyone have any information on the Cadet Brig General history?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

I thought we sent cadets to Hawk Mountain to get big heads so I'm surprised we ever made any Generals.
;)

Garibaldi

Well, I have a set of old cadet rank insignia, both NCO and officer, and always wondered what the gold diamond was for.

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

a2capt

Except gold comes before silver in the rank insignia.

isuhawkeye

the gold pips were cadet flight officer

Eclipse

I can't begin to imagine what the purpose of a C/BG would be, but the fact that you were appointed seemingly at random
to a position which you didn't even know existed, then to be told it didn't exist at all, just shows how little has changed in the
70 some years CAP has been around.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

It goes like this (in my mind):
C/WO - 1 gold circle
C/2LT - 1 silver circle
C/1LT - 2 silver circles
C/CPT - 3 silver circles
C/MAJ - 1 silver diamond
C/LTC - 2 silver diamonds
C/COL - 3 silver diamonds

So where does the gold diamond come in, or was the rank structure a lot different way back when?

Oh, and notice the diamond in the C/MSGT chevron

Flying Pig

Weve been having this discussion since I was a cadet in the 80s. I was always of the belief it was an urban legend.  However since you state that in the 40s you were one.   I would venture to guess it was an unofficial "local" idea that never had any official purpose or regulation attached
to it.

BillB

I have never seen a gold diamong, have no idea what that is. The C/BGen was four diamonds. Since CAP at the time had no CLCol, I got two CLCol insignia from ROTC and soldered them together. But never got to wear them before the phone call from the Wing Commander, Col Joe Moody told me the grade had been canceled. Still have the four diamond insignia around somewhere. Doubt it was a "local" thing since the six appointments all occured at the same time and were widely spread across the country.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Garibaldi

Oddly enough, a google search pointed me right back here. I found an old thread about it:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4079.0

Someone says, if you don't want to go look, that Army ROTC had, at one time, C/BG and C/MG, one and two gold diamonds respectively. So, while most of my cloth rank is CAP, an AROTC cutout snuck in somehow.

Case closed, on my end.

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on August 31, 2012, 08:12:14 PM
I have never seen a gold diamong, have no idea what that is. The C/BGen was four diamonds. Since CAP at the time had no CLCol, I got two CLCol insignia from ROTC and soldered them together. But never got to wear them before the phone call from the Wing Commander, Col Joe Moody told me the grade had been canceled. Still have the four diamond insignia around somewhere. Doubt it was a "local" thing since the six appointments all occured at the same time and were widely spread across the country.

The fact that you had to build your own grade insignia should have been clue #1, the fact you had no idea you were even up for #2, and jumping 3 clicks without even taking a test #3.

If there were a C/BG, every cadet would know day-1 how to make it.  Odds are it was local to the wings doing it, or somebody's bright idea that was never vetted, saw light, and got kiboshed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

I seem to recall that I wore the gold pip after I received my Mitchell in 1974.  I also believe I was a Warrant Officer. I was later promoted to 2Lt.  That was a long time ago and I have slept since then so my recollections might be wrong.  Not sure about the gold diamond. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Flying Pig

Gold pip is a C/ Flight Officer. I was one about 1989-90 time frame

sandman

Interesting if it were true! Four diamond pips are out there in Marine JROTC land. Not sure how they are used though...

Four diamond pips

Just to confuse things a bit, lets add quad round pips too!

Quad round pips
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

ol'fido

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 31, 2012, 09:25:13 PM
Gold pip is a C/ Flight Officer. I was one about 1989-90 time frame
Before that it was  a c/WO.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AlphaSigOU

Gold pip was C/Warrant Officer until about the early 80s, when the title changed to C/Flight Officer. This was around the time the flight officer grades were introduced.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Garibaldi

Wow...six posts saying basically the same thing. Wow. And I though I had a lot of free time on my hands... :P

JK657

http://chicagojrotc.entest.org/city_corps_staff.jsp

^^^ Here's a Cadet Brigadier General in JROTC (4 diamonds)

As for a need: How about the senior ranking cadet who acts as an advisor to the National Commander on all things cadet. Kind of like the Command Chief Master Sergeant but in cadet form?

Pylon

Quote from: JK657 on August 31, 2012, 11:19:37 PM
As for a need: How about the senior ranking cadet who acts as an advisor to the National Commander on all things cadet. Kind of like the Command Chief Master Sergeant but in cadet form?

We already have this position, and it's called National Cadet Advisory Council Chairman.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BillB

Eclipse
There were no more tests to take. I already held the Cadet COP with three clasps. There were no more achievements to take a test for. Col Joe Moody, the Wing King told me I would be an advisor, but he never said advisor to what. And since there were five other cadets made C/BGen at the same time, it would not have been a local thing. I'd guess something came up at an informal meeting at a Board meeting and the Wing Kings went forward with the idea.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104