Civil Air Patrol Providing "Security" At an Event?

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 26, 2012, 10:31:21 PM

RockRat

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 27, 2012, 03:50:57 PM
When I was a cadet in the early 90s I was working the March AFB Airshow.  I was at our booth that we had set up when an F-14 pilot walked over to our booth and asked if the squadron could spare two cadets to watch his jet while he stood at his booth and talked to people.  Seems he caught people shoving trash in vents, and found a guy with a screw driver actually trying to access a panel (If youve ever spent any time in Moreno Valley, CA youd understand!) 

I ended up doing it, and so did two other cadets.  We just stood around the jet and made sure people werent being stupid.  At the end of the day, we got patches, t-shirts and got to sit in the jet.  After hours, after the airshow was over.  Then when we were done, the B-1 bomber crew who was parked started getting into some friendly inter-service "banter" with the Navy pilots.  As a result of that, we were invited into the cockpit of the B1 so the Air Force guys could show us "what a real aircraft looked like"  They gave us patches, and a t-shirt with the Sq name with a picture of a mushroom cloud that said "No sense running you will only die tired" (My mom never let me wear it to school  :( )

So as a young CAP "Security Guard" I fared quite well.  My past Sq also provides "Security" at the local warbird airshow at Madera Airport also.  Just crowd control, walking around making sure people arent places they shouldnt be, or climbing on some guys multi-million dollar Hawker Hurricane while hes in the Porta-Potty.

Never been any issues.  CAP members are told not to "confront" people.  However, asking someone to follow the rules isnt "confronting".
May I ask what squadron? I also worked the airshow over the summer  :D
STAFF MEMBER

Flying Pig

Sq 45.  I was a cadet there from about 87-92.  Then came back in 98 after I got out of the Marines as the Deputy Commander for Cadets until about 2003ish.  The Madera airshow was with Sq112

whatevah

Quote from: RockRat on January 05, 2013, 05:45:25 PMMay I ask what squadron? I also worked the airshow over the summer  :D

Welcome to the forum, but this should have been a private message, not a bump to a 7 month old thread.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin