Monster winter storm could affect half the country

Started by ltcmark, February 01, 2011, 01:26:43 AM

a2capt

Hell, Michigan. Freezes over somewhat often, I'd image. :)

Eclipse

24 and windy with what I would describe as a "dusting" of snow West of ORD, which would be unusual if this
weren't, you know...February.

Just received a reverse 911 that local schools will be closed Wednesday, wing hq just shut down for the duration.

I did some personal and work shopping this morning and most stores were pretty busy considering the time -
Home Depot and Walmart bringing out pallets of winter stuff like shovels and such, clearly recently put away,
setting them up in front of the lawn mowers and spring yard care displays.

There isn't a news outlet in site without a crawl or other graphic about the weather - it appears the media are
the most shocked and concerned that it snows in the winter.

Some critical tips for driving in the snow:

Only clear the absolute bare minimum amount of snow from your windows, and if possible,
make sure they are fogged up on the inside, too.

If your car has ABS, make sure to pump the brakes in a skid.

If your car has manual brakes, slam on them with both feet and hold them down, swinging the wheel violently from
side to side.

Always floor the gas when the light turns green.  If you lose traction, hold the pedal down until you
start to move.  In fact, all use of the brake and gas should be abrupt - as if you were unaware you'd need
to use either until the second you actually press on them.

Use of the steering wheel should also be abrupt and extreme - try to avoid anticipating problems, gentle
use of controls, or slowing down.

Wandering across multiple lanes at 1/3 the speed of the rest of traffic is a good tip, too, but this takes
practice to really do well.

Above all, just drive as if you are the only person on the road and had no idea it was going to be snowing
today.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Bloomington, IN, even walking in the grass is getting dangerous. I just went outside to check and nearly fell on my butt while walking in the grass. The only "safe" place to walk is in the strips of snow that haven't melted. The large tree outside my house is crackling, I suspect because of the ice on the surface, not that the tree is breaking. Still, it makes me nervous. Van can't get out of the driveway until the new salt melts some of the ice. Also it is once again raining.

davidsinn

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 01, 2011, 08:34:10 PM
Bloomington, IN, even walking in the grass is getting dangerous. I just went outside to check and nearly fell on my butt while walking in the grass. The only "safe" place to walk is in the strips of snow that haven't melted. The large tree outside my house is crackling, I suspect because of the ice on the surface, not that the tree is breaking. Still, it makes me nervous. Van can't get out of the driveway until the new salt melts some of the ice. Also it is once again raining.

You were joking about rescuing me but it might be me rescuing you because of all the ice you're getting that we won't get.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: davidsinn on February 01, 2011, 09:15:28 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 01, 2011, 08:34:10 PM

You were joking about rescuing me but it might be me rescuing you because of all the ice you're getting that we won't get.
I just hope no matter who rescues who no one gets hurt. But no matter if you get called, I know myself and a few others will be linking up with you.

manfredvonrichthofen

The good news? The roads are still passable. You can still see plenty of green on the roads.

How are the roads in the rest of the north?

davidsinn

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 01, 2011, 09:51:03 PM
The good news? The roads are still passable. You can still see plenty of green on the roads.

How are the roads in the rest of the north?

Drifting over but drivable. However I won't know what they are like for the next two days. I have no reason to leave the house and can't see the road from the house.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

indygreg

I agree.  I plan to hunker down and ride it out.  Most schools are canceled, and planning on missing work again.  Madison County is under a travel advisory.

Spaceman3750

Pretty much all schools are cancelled here, plus most university campus departments freaked out and decided to high-tail it.

ltcmark

Update from central Indiana.  We picked up about a ΒΌ" of ice last night.  Then we picked up about a 1" of sleet this afternoon, now it is raining.  Walking is just as dangerous as driving.  I even had to put sand down in the back yard so the dogs could go do their business :o

My employer is based out of Addison, IL (Chicago area); they sent an email out at 2:30 pm that they are sending everyone home at 3 pm and that they will be closed on Wednesday. 

The local news said 800 National Guard have been staged around Indiana. 

12 counties have issued Travel Warnings.  This means that if you get caught driving in the county and it is not an emergency, you can get a ticket.  Pretty much the whole northern 2/3's of the state is under some kind of travel advisory.

Forecast:  If it falls out of the sky, we are going to get it.

NCRblues

A snow emergency has been declared for the Greater St Louis area. National guard Humvee ambulances are now being used because the normal ambulances cant handle the roads.

Interstate 70 is closed from wentzville Missouri to the Sadelia exit. (some 250miles give or take)

No major power outages yet, but the electrical company is warning those with fireplaces to have wood, and those without to find your local shealters.

St Louis proper is asking for certified EMT's and Paramedics to come work at local staging areas.

Lambert international is shutdown with no flights coming or going.

and I am getting paid double time because i cant go the 3 miles to home from the station....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

davidsinn

Here's the IN-DHS travel map.

I think the image in this post will be live but don't count on it. Click the link for the current one.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Target in Woodale, IL (~2000):

Took two tries to get through the drift in my wife's truck, sadly my Sport Track is sidelined with a bum 4x4:

Can't see the house across the street at times...

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

The storm has cleared the St Louis area.

Interstate 70 is still closed but the governor has ordered the national guard to help clear it by morning.

I'm done with winter... is it July yet??
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

I gave it 1/2 a try - the wind is blowing too much to keep up with the drifts - if it was daylight I'd stay at it, but
there's really no point.

As much as I hate snowblowers and didn't want one, I'm glad we went with the 10-horse.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2011, 02:28:21 AM
Target in Woodale, IL (~2000):

Took two tries to get through the drift in my wife's truck, sadly my Sport Track is sidelined with a bum 4x4:

Can't see the house across the street at times...

8-12" drift and going up hill? I'll post some pics of my house in the morning after the sun is up.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spaceman3750

I've officially decided I need an SUV. I'm snowed in here with my sedan :(. My roads usually take awhile to be plowed so I'm stuck for the night at least.

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 02, 2011, 04:23:23 AM
I've officially decided I need an SUV. I'm snowed in here with my sedan :( . My roads usually take awhile to be plowed so I'm stuck for another 24 hours at least.

Each of my parents, my wife and myself all have a 4x4s. It's like a freaking GM dealer here.  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spaceman3750

Quote from: davidsinn on February 02, 2011, 04:25:54 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 02, 2011, 04:23:23 AM
I've officially decided I need an SUV. I'm snowed in here with my sedan :( . My roads usually take awhile to be plowed so I'm stuck for another 24 hours at least.

Each of my parents, my wife and myself all have a 4x4s. It's like a freaking GM dealer here.  ;D

Yeah, my problem is that I live off of a side street plowed by my landlord so I can't get an idea of what main roads are like until I'm already on them.

JK657

I'm at the Gem of the American Military Establishment: Fort Bliss... the Fort is pretty much shut down with a tropical 22 degrees outside and a few inches of snow on the ground