Main Menu

Diversity Committee

Started by Flying Pig, May 11, 2010, 11:48:04 PM

Flying Pig

So, CAP drank the KoolAid too huh?  Really, we need a National diversity committee in CAP?  For crying out loud.

davidsinn

Well it was a topic on this board not to far in the past. I've noticed a lot of our topics tend to come up in NB meetings lately. Gentlemen, Ladies, I think we have a mole. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Strick

How about  just doing CAP stuff
[darn]atio memoriae

davidsinn

Quote from: Strick on May 11, 2010, 11:55:30 PM
I know female unit commanders. I've met minority commanders. I've even met female minority commanders. CC/CAP is female. Where's the problem?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

Spike

Here is the problem, I have been a CAP member for 17 years, yet can not be on this committee?!?!?!  Just because I never accepted promotions as a Senior Member "as quickly" as I should have. 

This sticks, in fact....I may Command one of the most diverse Squadrons in all of CAP.  I myself am a minority (under the Fed Govt rules and regulations).

So, don't include anyone that is not a Major or Lt Col.  I fear we will just see the same folks we have seen in the past step forward for this committee. 

Now I am somewhat mad.   :'(

davidsinn

Quote from: Strick on May 12, 2010, 12:14:03 AM
and your point.....

Was directed toward the whole concept of the committee. I don't think we have a problem with glass ceilings. I think it's a waste of time.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RiverAux

I don't think we have a real diversity problem per se, it is more of an urban recruiting problem.  I think we have the potential to have huge squadrons (both cadet and senior) in our urban areas but don't seem to be able to take advantage of the opportunity provided by these areas with large populations.  If we were, there would very likely be greater minority representation in CAP overall. 

DG

Quote from: RiverAux on May 12, 2010, 12:23:05 AM
I don't think we have a real diversity problem per se, it is more of an urban recruiting problem.  I think we have the potential to have huge squadrons (both cadet and senior) in our urban areas but don't seem to be able to take advantage of the opportunity provided by these areas with large populations.  If we were, there would very likely be greater minority representation in CAP overall.

Is there a geographical component?

Are white folk a minority in Southern California?

NC Hokie

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 11, 2010, 11:48:04 PM
So, CAP drank the KoolAid too huh?  Really, we need a National diversity committee in CAP?  For crying out loud.
You got a source for those of us who don't (yet) know what you're talking about?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

davidsinn

Quote from: NC Hokie on May 12, 2010, 01:12:26 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on May 11, 2010, 11:48:04 PM
You got a source for those of us who don't (yet) know what you're talking about?
http://www.magnetmail.net/actions/email_web_version.cfm?recipient_id=126983107&message_id=1007878&user_id=CivilAir
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AirAux

The problem I see is that this committee will be used to direct an affirmative action that will be used to make sure that minorities will be promoted or moved into certain positions whether they are qualified or not.  As far as I know, there is nothing in CAP that limits or restricts anyone (including any minority) from upward movement in CAP.  Now by having a diversity committee, we will have to have results from the committee and since I propose that eligible and qualified members are now being promoted, the only solution will be to move or push unqualified members upward.  Unless someone can show me discrimination in CAP, I find this to be nothing but yet another affirmative action movement.. But JMHO

Spike

Quote from: AirAux on May 12, 2010, 01:27:27 AM
Unless someone can show me discrimination in CAP, I find this to be nothing but yet another affirmative action movement.. But JMHO

Agreed!!!!!   Give me a strong case history and relevant examples with documentation and I will support this endeavor! 

FW

This is an interesting thread.  I was a spectator at the winter NB meeting when this concept was introduced by our national commander.  I have no objection to a diverse membership and, of course, a diverse leadership.  However, as has been said in earlier threads, what is our current demographics in relationship to the populations where our units are located?  Do we need to start units in areas which are underserved?  Do we try to recruit in areas where minority populations are more prevalent?  Can the school programs serve to increase the diversity of our membership?  I would like to think these kind of questions will be dealt with in committee discussions. 

I truly doubt this would be "another affirmative action" program.   But, I'm not sure of the motivation for such an initiative.  Our current national commander and, our previous national commander were not "GOWB's"  We have more women in leadership positions now than at any other time in our history.  The rainbow is brighter than ever before and, there is no dimming in sight. 

I hope the committee will be able to find ways to bring more qualified members into CAP and increase the retention rate of all our members; no matter what "group" they belong to.

Just my $.02

Senior

Isn't Diversity just code for Political Correctness?
I am glad that the important issue of a Diversity Committee is part of
the agenda when more important issues face CAP.  I would think
reinventing CAP for the 21st Century might be more important.
Are we really in the business of AE, Cadet Programs, SAR or just making CAP into a real sluggish, overgrown, overreaching corporation?

heliodoc

^^^^

Uhhh, like the push in the Federal land management agencies 20+ yrs ago

CAP's turn......20+ yrs later

DBlair

Committee Member Criteria:
Exceptionally qualified candidates who do not share all the characteristics listed below are welcome to apply. Volunteers who serve on this committee will share most of the following qualification requirements:
 Be executive leaders (CEO/President/Chair/Vice Chair/VP/Chief Officer etc.)
 Be nationally recognized for their promotion of Diversity
 Be willing to attend at least four in-person meetings during the next twelve months
 Be willing to attend at least one conference call not to exceed 90 minutes each month
 Civil Air Patrol Major rank and above
 Attained the Garber Award
 Three or more years as a Civil Air Patrol senior member in good standing. Senior members with outstanding diversity credentials will be considered on an individual basis.

I would have to say that I'm not so sure this criteria will best serve the purpose of this committee- yes, part of this is in reference to the CAP rank and PD level required.

It also sounds like they are trying to put together a high-profile/celebrity Diversity Dream Team with the aspects of President/CEOs and the "nationally recognized" parts.

As someone involved with the higher echelons of Scouting, it seems that CAP is trying to do something similar to what the BSA did by putting together committees to then target and facilitate units in minority areas, inner city, non-English speaking, and things of that nature in the hopes of getting the kids (who otherwise would not be involved) involved with a constructive program and perhaps instill positive lessons vs the negative things that they may pick up on the street and as such addresses things such as crime, lack of role models, lack of direction, etc.

Before I say that I support this National committee or not, I'd like to see a bit more about what this is going to be used for. Are they just trying to do more outreach or are they trying to start Affirmative Action policies, etc.

Edit...

I just read further about some of the aspects of this committee and copied and pasted a few below that seemed to be promoting Affirmative Action, etc.

8) The establishment and maintenance of fair promotion and command opportunities for ethnic and gender-specific members of the Civil Air Patrol.

9) An assessment of pre-command staff and activity assignments of ethnic and gender-specific members of the Civil Air Patrol.

10) An assessment of command selection of ethnic and gender- specific members of the Civil Air Patrol.

14) The existence and maintenance of fair promotion, assignment, and command opportunities for ethnic and gender-specific members of the Civil Air Patrol at the levels of, company and junior grade, field and mid-grade, and general officers.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

A.Member

YGTBFSM!

Quote from: Strick on May 11, 2010, 11:55:30 PM
Couldn't agree more.  This is merely the latest in a string of idiotic ideas to come from National.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

raivo

I'm glad we've found a solution to this...

... uh...

problem, wait, what problem?

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

DG

One way to look at this is that apparently they have the time and energy to put into it.

So things must be going pretty good, and under control.  I.e., no emergencies.