Main Menu

Lt Col Gary E. Nelson

Started by Stonewall, September 28, 2021, 01:26:29 PM

Stonewall

Personal note:  I had known Gary for 15+ years when I met him after I transferred back to my original squadron in 2006. He was an Air Force Reservist and Security Forces Officer and working full-time as a police officer. I was a National Guard Security Forces NCO and a civilian police officer at a different agency, so needless to say we had a few things in common. I had just spent a week with him at NESA a month prior to his passing and had plans to visit with him during Christmas where he as going to work on some IC training with me and fly my son (also a cadet).

Gary will be missed.

Colonel Gary Edwin Nelson
January 18, 1962 – September 9,2021

On the evening of September 9th 2021, Gary Nelson passed away at Mayo Clinic due to Covid complications at the age of 59. He was surrounded by friends and family.

Gary was born in Virginia Beach on January 18, 1962, the eldest son of Raymond and Betsy Nell Nelson. He is survived by his children, Charles Nelson (33) and Joseph Nelson (20); his daughter-in-law, Tori Kemper (26); his younger brother, Brad; and nephews, Duncan, Logan and Jacob.

Gary always put others first. He was a Christian and tried to live a Godly life. Gary served in the Air Force with distinction and retired after 30 years and 30 days with the ranking of Colonel. Gary served both at home and abroad. He actively participated in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. He served in Honduras protecting the base from rebels. He was deployed to Afghanistan, and to Saudi Arabia and Baghdad twice. Between his active-duty tours, Gary guarded nuclear weapons at Warner-Robins, commanded a squadron at Naval Station New Orleans and was assigned dually to command the 45th Security Forces Squadron and U.S. Space Force Command. Prior to retirement from the Air Force, Gary was stationed at the Pentagon. He earned Outstanding Officer of the Year five times, and received the Bronze Star for his service in Baghdad. Gary was recognized by the Prince and Leader of Saudi Arabia on his second tour there. During his career, he earned more recognition and awards than can be listed here.

Gary joined the Civil Air Patrol Search and Rescue Squadrons from the at age of 12, where he received pilot training; and had his first solo flight at the age of 16, receiving his pilot's license soon thereafter. Gary used this training to obtain several commuter pilot positions, flying from Key West to the Bahamas. He was employed with Flight Safety International in Vero Beach Florida, where he trained people from all over the world. (This is where he met and married his wife, Elizabeth Marie Pirke.) He was transferred to Dothan, Alabama where he taught Army helicopter pilots to fly twin engine aircrafts and was also reserve deputy sheriff.

In 1993, Gary's family of three (soon to be four) moved to Jacksonville, FL, where he was accepted to the Police Academy. He was a dedicated and respected police officer with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, earning the rank of Sargent. Gary was in command of several different sectors,  including Community Affairs. He retired after 26 years of service. He had several notable recognitions during his service, including one for saving a man's life.

Throughout Gary's life he also volunteered with the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) where he helped shape young lives in drill and ceremonies; search and rescue; pilot training; and computer cyber. He commanded the Jacksonville Composite Squadron for 4 years where served on both Group and Wing Staff. While serving with those groups he was also an incident commander and check pilot.

During retirement Gary spent most of his time with CAP, enjoying time with his sons, Chuck and Joe, and having new projects including his planes and drones. He attended Paramedic school in New Hampshire and several classes at The National Emergency Services Academy.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you donate to the Cadet Fund established at Jacksonville Composite Squadron (11261 Craig Blvd., Jacksonville, FL 32225) to help shape the young minds that Gary has helped and been a part of since his own childhood.

A memorial service is being held in his honor on Saturday, October 2, at 2:00. The memorial and reception will be held at Terry Parker Baptist Church located at 7024 Merrill Rd., Jacksonville, FL 32277.

The service will be live-streamed for those who are not able to attend. The Zoom link to join is https://viewneral.zoom.us/j/96437942028?pwd=SVVrcXpoclpCR3JDMklBV3F0TGpYQT09

Masks are mandatory.

Arrangements have been entrusted to the care of Arlington Park Funeral Home.
Serving since 1987.