Transferring Units - Will it Mess Up NCSA Approvals?

Started by Huey Driver, February 16, 2015, 11:22:55 PM

Huey Driver

This could probably be answered in a quick email to Mr. LaFond, but I figured I'd ask here first.

As I'm away at college, I've been looking to transfer into my current host wing. I should have done it sooner, but I still had a duty assignment in my home wing. Anyway, I want to transfer soon, but I'm concerned about my NCSA application. As you know, the online NCSA application in eServices collects approvals at the unit and wing levels. I'm currently approved at the wing level and am awaiting initial slotting, but my concern is that if I transfer to a different unit and wing right now, it will screw up my approvals, perhaps invalidate my application, and/or potentially be a headache down the road.

Has anyone had any experience with this situation, or have any knowledge as to what would happen in the NCSA application module? I'm sure I'm not the first cadet in this position.

Thanks in advance.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

ProdigalJim

Though I have no experience with it, the complications you suggest sound plausible. Given how far down the road you already are with NCSAs, what's the urgency to change wings? Why not get slotted and then make your move? I don't see much downside in waiting, but I sure see downside in potentially garfing up your eServices trail while awaiting slotting.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

Quote from: JerseyCadet on February 16, 2015, 11:22:55 PM
This could probably be answered in a quick email to Mr. LaFond,

The answer is in your question...

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

if the transfer hasn't been processed yet it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure your current contact information is updated in E-services, so that if there are any questions  they can resolve them quickly.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Since we're talking "approval" here, there's the possibility the new unit or wing will decide
to rescind it.  Unlikely, but not impossible.

"Who's this new kid?  We already processed all of our NCSA apps and he didn't go through our boards..."

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Transferring Units - Will it Mess Up NCSA Approvals?
Quote from: JerseyCadet on February 16, 2015, 11:22:55 PMHas anyone had any experience with this situation, or have any knowledge as to what would happen in the NCSA application module? I'm sure I'm not the first cadet in this position.
Now if the Earth crashes into the Sun, we know who to blame.

Was it worth the risk? Did you figure that into the ORM Risk Matrix?

I would have to hope that a transfer as such keeps all applicable awards and permissions within the scope of the transfer. Region/Wing/Group with unit going away.

Let us know what you find out.. eServices already has some squirrelly issues you don't want to find.

Huey Driver

Yeah, I practically am doing a risk matrix right now, weighing whether it's worth it to transfer now, or in a month after slotting occurs.  ::)

Quote from: ProdigalJim on February 17, 2015, 01:58:45 AM
...what's the urgency to change wings? Why not get slotted and then make your move? I don't see much downside in waiting, but I sure see downside in potentially garfing up your eServices trail while awaiting slotting.

I'm not really in a rush, but technically speaking, I shouldn't be participating in another wing at all without CAPF 31s for every single event. It's also weird when it comes to flying, ES, duty assignments, etc. Just looking to formalize things in the new wing. However, I agree that it's not worth 'garfing up' my app.

Quote from: Eclipse on February 17, 2015, 04:39:44 AM
Since we're talking "approval" here, there's the possibility the new unit or wing will decide
to rescind it.  Unlikely, but not impossible.

As you said, not a likely problem. But even so, it's another reason for me to hold off the transfer...

Quote from: a2capt on February 17, 2015, 05:08:24 AM
Let us know what you find out.. eServices already has some squirrelly issues you don't want to find.

I'll let you know if I learn anything. I've found a few of those squirrelly issues before, and for the sake of not encountering any more, I'm just going to stay put for now.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

lordmonar

Why not wait?

Just because you don't belong to a local unit should not be a bar for you to participate in CAP.

Sure the near unit can't promote you or anything....but if you are worried about NCSA slotting....like you said it should be done soon and then you can transfer.   In the mean time you can still visit your local unit, you can still participate in CAP activities.   If your home commander know the deal....then there is no problem.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP