TIME TO BRING BACK THE "TYPE B" ENCAMPMENT in Large Wings

Started by Major Carrales, May 24, 2012, 04:00:06 PM

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 27, 2012, 08:07:43 PM
In places like Illinois, Indiana, and most southern states where summer could be mistaken for the gates of Hell, sleeping and messing in non-cooled areas is really not an option.
How about sleeves down, gloves, and a 24 hr pack on? It gets really hot...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on May 28, 2012, 12:53:40 AM
In places like Illinois, Indiana, and most southern states where summer could be mistaken for the gates of Hell, sleeping and messing in non-cooled areas is really not an option.

I've BTDT too, I'm aware. However, I still wouldn't put a 13 year old cadet in a situation where they will be exposed to 95 degree heat for a week with no relief.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 28, 2012, 12:55:57 AMI've BTDT too, I'm aware. However, I still wouldn't put a 13 year old cadet in a situation where they will be exposed to 95 degree heat for a week with no relief.

Try Mississippi in September.

I have no issues with the "heat + cadets", just not for an Encampment.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on May 28, 2012, 01:29:17 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 28, 2012, 12:55:57 AMI've BTDT too, I'm aware. However, I still wouldn't put a 13 year old cadet in a situation where they will be exposed to 95 degree heat for a week with no relief.

Try Mississippi in September.

I have no issues with the "heat + cadets", just not for an Encampment.

Hey, you're the sucker that answered the phone >:D.

I don't have an issue either in an ES context where the cadets are trained or in training, but like you I think encampment is a bad place for that.

ol'fido

You have to consider what you are trying to accomplish when choosing facilities for anything. If you just need someplace that provides 3 hots and a cot, you can go anywhere. The ILWG's Johnson Flight Academy is held on the EIU campus in Charleston, IL. Although the basic customs and courtesies are observed, the emphasis is on entry level flight training and not on emphasizing a military training atmosphere which is hand in glove what encampments are about.

CAP is not Army Ranger School. We are not trying to toughen up our cadets. We are trying to pass on knowledge and information. Having a room full of cadets that are zoning out because they couldn't get more than a couple of hours sleep due to extreme heat or cold is not the training environment you're looking for. Make learning the material and not enduring the conditions your focus. Several years ago, the ILWG Summer Encampment was held at the Marseilles Training Center, a ILARNG facility about an hour from Chicago. Only the BOQ rooms and the gym had AC. The prime focus and driver that week was the fact that temperatures were in the high 90's about every day. The heat was all anyone thought about. We still accomplished our goal but it was tough.

The last few years we have been in the Illinois Military Academy at Camp Lincoln in Springfield. Centrally located in the state, on a (all be it small) military post, excellent, comfortable facilities, and a very supportive ILARNG staff have made it the preferred destination of many wing activities. They are glad to have us if the facilities are not being used by the Guard or other state agencies( LE mostly) because we up their usage percentages. The Powers That Be don't care who uses it just as long as it gets used.

Hunt around and you can probably find a similar facility near you.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Major Carrales

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 28, 2012, 12:55:57 AM

I've BTDT too, I'm aware. However, I still wouldn't put a 13 year old cadet in a situation where they will be exposed to 95 degree heat for a week with no relief.

In South Texas, putting a 13 year old in a situation where they will be exposed to 95 degree heat for a week with no relief is referred to as living a week in the summer.  The key would be to regulate hydration and provide relief at periodic intervals.  I mean, when his area was settled in the 16th-early 20th century the heat was just as bad.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

rebowman

NH and VT Wings are very fortunate to hold their encampment at Norwich University.   The only downside is the cost that Norwich charges us but it is a very high quality encampment.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 28, 2012, 03:46:46 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 28, 2012, 12:55:57 AM

In South Texas, putting a 13 year old in a situation where they will be exposed to 95 degree heat for a week with no relief is referred to as living a week in the summer.  The key would be to regulate hydration and provide relief at periodic intervals.  I mean, when his area was settled in the 16th-early 20th century the heat was just as bad.
No sir. Temperatures were different.

See: http://www.tmgnow.com/repository/solar/lassen1.html
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"