Main Menu

Color of Equipment

Started by LSThiker, February 11, 2016, 04:41:51 PM

LSThiker

I just ordered a custom-made 800-fill down sleeping quit.  I spent nearly 3-days deciding the color of my sleeping quilt and it got me thinking:

What color is your equipment (e.g. sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad, etc)?

I know some of you grab the ASNI orange for the LBE, vest, type of equipment, but I am curious about the other equipment.  Of course, I understand color comes secondary to function and price.  This is more-or-less a light-hearted topic with no real serious objective to it.

Garibaldi

Most all of mine is military color. I have some orange tape on some areas, to break up the monotony and for higher viz. But as far as stuff that goes in a tent overnight...no. We also have that glow in the dark stuff we can sew on hats and other items so we look like little fireflies at night.

On the subject, I try to keep the cadets away from the tak-ti-kewl things like plate carriers and so on, but we got a transfer in from another state who has one, and I just asked him to demonstrate the utility. He was able to demonstrate very well how he organized everything so it would be on hand, so I said yes.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Quote from: LSThiker on February 11, 2016, 04:41:51 PM
I just ordered a custom-made 800-fill down sleeping quit.  I spent nearly 3-days deciding the color of my sleeping quilt and it got me thinking:

What color is your equipment (e.g. sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad, etc)?

I know some of you grab the ASNI orange for the LBE, vest, type of equipment, but I am curious about the other equipment.  Of course, I understand color comes secondary to function and price.  This is more-or-less a light-hearted topic with no real serious objective to it.

Depends. I always used the OD LBE/LBV. Most of my other stuff is cobbled together from a variety of sources and is usually a flavor of brown, back or green. One thing that I always kept the same color was my tent: red. Bright red. There was never a question of where I was camped. Made it easy if anyone had to find me in the middle of the night during missions or bivouacs.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

vorteks

Quote from: THRAWN on February 11, 2016, 04:55:11 PM
... Made it easy if anyone had to find me in the middle of the night during missions or bivouacs.

... or which tent to stay away from when you were having your nap.  >:D

THRAWN

Quote from: varitec on February 11, 2016, 05:20:30 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on February 11, 2016, 04:55:11 PM
... Made it easy if anyone had to find me in the middle of the night during missions or bivouacs.

... or which tent to stay away from when you were having your nap.  >:D

Funny that you bring that up. The guys in my shop were discussing crew rest not too long ago and it got me thinking about how many hours I'd be awake during training schools and missions. There were a lot of times that the envelope was pushed and the line was crossed by a lot. Guess I'm old, I'm begging to realize that I'm not totally indestructable.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

I was always a big fan of solid color, usually green.

When they started making field gear (rucksacks, canteen covers) in camouflage, I stuck with solid green.   I don't know why, but I always thought wearing camouflage and having your gear camouflaged was like... overkill? 

My camelbak and rucksack are both in foliage green, which should come in handy soon. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AirAux

All my stuff is leather, I am old school....

Al Sayre

I'm a fan of green too.  Specifically whatever removes the least of it from my wallet.  I usually look for U.S. surplus, green, black, or camo...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Garibaldi

The only thing I miss about Arkansas was the surplus shop there. They had a bargain bin and I would find all kinds of good stuff in it. Nothing like that here...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

BFreemanMA

Most of my gear is black with retroreflective tapes. We have a decent Army/Navy store nearby our squadron and it makes for a one-stop-shop for most of the gear we would need. I have a black backpack and duty belt to hold my most frequently used items (notebook and pencil, compass, flashlight, etc).
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

RRLE

GroundHawg

When I was the GT Leader and ES/SAR Officer at my last squadron, I had a SOP typed up that directed any and all field gear be in solid OD Green or Orange. I went a step further to specify that camo of any type would not be permitted.

USACAP

In a volunteer organization where everyone brings their own ...
How about whatever color was FREE.

Luis R. Ramos

/\        /\        /\
   /   \     /   \     /   \

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Luis R. Ramos

On my second iteration of CAP, when there was not the exacting language that exists today on the prohibition of Health Services Officer, and my EMT certificate was current I used to take a stethoscope to the field. I chose the color orange, because it would be most visible, I thought. The EMT shears I used to take had similarly colored orange handles. Then I dropped the shears on the ground.

;D 

The ground cover on the forest we were in was yellowish with orangeish hues. It took me some time to find those orange shears, as their orange color was almost the same and in some the same as the fallen leaves...

:D :D :D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

My 24-hour pack/vest is orange and my 72-hour pack is woodland camouflage.

While it would be nice to have standardized gear color, that's just not practical in a volunteer organization where most members buy their own gear. Requiring a specific gear type or color beyond what's prescribed by regulations would require units to provide the gear to their members.

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 25, 2016, 09:04:55 PM

What about items such as your tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc?  Are they the standard military items or a rainbow of color?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: LSThiker on February 26, 2016, 02:49:44 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 25, 2016, 09:04:55 PM

What about items such as your tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc?  Are they the standard military items or a rainbow of color?

My tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc. are all different color commercial items, mostly dark or earth colors.