2011 National Conference & 70th Anniversary Theme/Logo Contest

Started by CAP Producer, December 29, 2010, 03:47:29 PM

CAP Producer

The following E-mail went out to CAP's Wing and Region PAOs. Please help spread the word about this contest!

QuoteGreetings,

CAP is looking for your help and creativity!

We invite you to submit your idea for a theme and/or a logo for the 2011 National Conference that will be held in Louisville, Ky., Aug. 17-20, as well as for the 70th anniversary of CAP's founding. The challenge is to tie your National Conference theme/logo to CAP's 70th anniversary, which will also be celebrated in 2011.

Please e-mail your entry to paa@capnhq.gov no later than Feb. 1, 2011. Please type "theme/logo" in the subject line of the e-mail and include your full name, rank, CAPID, full mailing address and e-mail address in your entry.
This contest is open to all CAP members.

Members with winning entries will receive a free registration to the 2011 National Conference.The 2011 theme and logo will be announced on the VolunteerNow website, http://www.capvolunteernow.com, by April 15.

Happy New Year and good luck!

Regards,

Steve Cox
Public Affairs Manager
Civil Air Patrol National Headquarters
AL PABON, Major, CAP

RiverAux

Hopefully this conference theme won't be transforming into yet another new motto/tagline/whatever as that seems to be what happened in the past. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on December 29, 2010, 04:55:32 PM
Hopefully this conference theme won't be transforming into yet another new motto/tagline/whatever as that seems to be what happened in the past.

It shouldn't, since it is not a "branding" this as much as a commemorative.  Think of the State quarters series form the US mint.  The placing of the State mottos and symbols, also based on a contest, did not fundamentally change the symbolic icons of the US.  No more than the logos of the Olympics (like Sam the Olympic Eagle) took away from the monikers of the Olympics.

It would be foolish to make a big deal or read anything into this and will be a wasted effort to take issue with it.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

James Shaw

I like the idea and think it will give the members an opportunity to submit something. I will probably try to think  of something myself and submit it.

Hats off to NHQ and the opportunity!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

vento

I am sure a reinforced version of The Triangle Thingy will be the absolute winner.  >:D

JC004

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

A.Member

Quote from: Pylon on January 04, 2011, 06:35:34 AM
How about this for a logo?

I think I'll submit it.
I thought about that one as well but decided on the one below given that it is our actual emblem, despite the fact that it doesn't appear anywhere in the media kit on our site.  :-\ :

Good luck and may the best man win! :)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JC004

It's best not to use them because they are official and promote proper branding and consistency/uniformity.  You don't want that happening.

BuckeyeDEJ

Al -- there will be a submission from Clearwater, Fla., that I think all will be pleased with. :)

That said, the only thing I would say to all of you is that the logo and 70th anniversary celebration should drive any conference theme, and not vice versa. And the logo should be derived from symbols we already have -- and that are already ingrained into our history and heritage.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

DakRadz

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 05, 2011, 06:15:27 AM
Al -- there will be a submission from Clearwater, Fla., that I think all will be pleased with. :)

That said, the only thing I would say to all of you is that the logo and 70th anniversary celebration should drive any conference theme, and not vice versa. And the logo should be derived from symbols we already have -- and that are already ingrained into our history and heritage.
Careful with that language, sir. That's just vague enough to get us in a mess.

Technically, the Triangle Thingy could be seen as "derived" from symbols we already have...

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: DakRadz on January 05, 2011, 07:46:41 AM
Technically, the Triangle Thingy could be seen as "derived" from symbols we already have...

There's a big difference between exercising our heritage emblems and mangling them.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

a2capt

I certainly get the distinct impression that .. the Triangle-Thingy isn't well liked at all .. 7 out of 10 PAO's so far, won't use it. ;) They would probably get annoyed if we all submitted the original seal or derivates of it, but it would make a statement  if it got logged and reported ...

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on January 06, 2011, 08:02:02 AM
I certainly get the distinct impression that .. the Triangle-Thingy isn't well liked at all .. 7 out of 10 PAO's so far, won't use it. ;) They would probably get annoyed if we all submitted the original seal or derivates of it, but it would make a statement  if it got logged and reported ...

The 3 PAOs paid by NHQ don't count.  When I checked the wing sites, 52 out of 52 were lacking a Triangle Thingy.  I believe none of the region sites had it.  The national site only had it sometimes - like in those little ad-type things.  Whatever crap was spewed about organizations changing logos from time to time, they missed important pieces like actual use of the new logo.

I'm no good with creating graphics, so PLEASE, folks - I beg of you - DON'T make something like the CAP Monopoly House Logo. 

RiverAux

Quote from: JC004 on January 07, 2011, 09:03:57 PM
Whatever crap was spewed about organizations changing logos from time to time, they missed important pieces like actual use of the new logo.
Thank god.

RADIOMAN015

Gee I always thought mile stones for organization were 25, 50, 75, 100, etc years.  Why is 70 being something so special ???
RM

SarDragon

CAP has been celebrating every five years since I joined. My first celebration was the 25th anniversary.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

I've made a point of trying to attend on Friday & Saturday this year, since it's within reasonable driving distance. At least, I'm going to try.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

a2capt

Okay, how many of you submitted the original logo, that caused someone to get frustrated, and nuke the whole inbox?

JC004

Pylon

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on January 15, 2011, 09:23:20 PM
Quote from: JC004 on January 14, 2011, 10:03:00 PM
FAIL.

Cloud computing fail.

Backup fail.  I back up my organization's data in 3 different places, in different parts of the country.

James Shaw

Jim Shaw

Pylon

James Shaw

Jim Shaw

Major Carrales

How about producing some old school 1940s era replica hat devices?  I know I would buy one. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

James Shaw

Quote from: CAP Producer on December 29, 2010, 03:47:29 PM
The following E-mail went out to CAP's Wing and Region PAOs. Please help spread the word about this contest!

QuoteGreetings,

CAP is looking for your help and creativity!

We invite you to submit your idea for a theme and/or a logo for the 2011 National Conference that will be held in Louisville, Ky., Aug. 17-20, as well as for the 70th anniversary of CAP's founding. The challenge is to tie your National Conference theme/logo to CAP's 70th anniversary, which will also be celebrated in 2011.

Please e-mail your entry to paa@capnhq.gov no later than Feb. 1, 2011. Please type "theme/logo" in the subject line of the e-mail and include your full name, rank, CAPID, full mailing address and e-mail address in your entry.
This contest is open to all CAP members.

Members with winning entries will receive a free registration to the 2011 National Conference.The 2011 theme and logo will be announced on the VolunteerNow website, http://www.capvolunteernow.com, by April 15.

Happy New Year and good luck!

Regards,

Steve Cox
Public Affairs Manager
Civil Air Patrol National Headquarters

Are they supposed to be acknowledging those who submit? I see the cutoff date is the 15th but I do not see antying about "formal" acknowledgment of submissions.
Jim Shaw

Kojack

Quote from: caphistorian on February 05, 2011, 08:36:52 PM
Has anyone made a submission for this yet?

Yep!  The winning theme has already been submitted!   :angel:

James Shaw

Quote from: Kojack on February 14, 2011, 01:54:40 PM
Yep!  The winning theme has already been submitted!   :angel:

Yeah they allready told me I was wondering if they let the rest of you know!! ;D
Jim Shaw

a2capt

Thats really nice. Just like they let deadlines slip and slip thereby making them meaningless, in general, in CAP.. it would be just as well that they pick a winner early and ignore the rest of the submissions because they extended it to the 15th, but seem to have gone by the original date anyway.

James Shaw

Quote from: a2capt on February 14, 2011, 04:28:08 PM
Thats really nice. Just like they let deadlines slip and slip thereby making them meaningless, in general, in CAP.. it would be just as well that they pick a winner early and ignore the rest of the submissions because they extended it to the 15th, but seem to have gone by the original date anyway.

I am not sure if this is directed at me but mine was a response to a joke that someone else posted. I have not received any notice or anything else for that fact about my submission. That is why I was asking. I know the people at NHQ have more integrity than that. I have not seen nor heard of any reason to suspect that they have changed the dates or anything else having to do with this contest.
Jim Shaw

CAP Producer

114 entries have been recieved by NHQ and they will be judged in the coming weeks. BTW today is the final day they are accepting entries.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

a2capt

Should be tomorrow, not today, according to the note posted.
QuotePlease e-mail your entry to paa@capnhq.gov no later than Feb. 15, 2011. Please type "theme/logo" in the subject line of the e-mail and include your full name, rank, CAPID, full mailing address and e-mail address in your entry.

BuckeyeDEJ

So we're into the last of March, and no word yet on a wiener. Bueller? Bueller?  ;D

BillB

From what I hear, the decision has been made,  but not yet announced.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davidsinn

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on March 31, 2011, 04:48:07 AM
So we're into the last of March, and no word yet on a wiener. Bueller? Bueller?  ;D

This monstrosity was in my email this morning. Is this the logo?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

vento

Quote from: davidsinn on March 31, 2011, 02:07:11 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on March 31, 2011, 04:48:07 AM

It has The Triangle Thingy, so it must be the winning entry chosen by our professional rule abiding impartial judges...  >:D

Pylon

This is the best compelling reason yet for adding an "actively vomiting" smiley to the site's assortment.

Rowan

Quote from: Pylon on March 31, 2011, 03:46:38 PM
This is the best compelling reason yet for adding an "actively vomiting" smiley to the site's assortment.

+1   :clap:

kmbarnes1

I really hate that triangle thing... we're in the process of creating a squadron patch and one of our cadet entries had it on there. That entry was quickly discarded...
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

davidsinn

Quote from: kmbarnes1 on March 31, 2011, 04:54:53 PM
I really hate that triangle thing... we're in the process of creating a squadron patch and one of our cadet entries had it on there. That entry was quickly discarded...

Did you let them know why?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

kmbarnes1

Personally, I didn't. My cadet commander beat me to it...blurted out right in the poor c/Amn's face, "thats not our logo!" The cadet quickly changed his design...
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

davidsinn

Quote from: kmbarnes1 on March 31, 2011, 04:58:44 PM
Personally, I didn't. My cadet commander beat me to it...blurted out right in the poor c/Amn's face, "thats not our logo!" The cadet quickly changed his design...

Oops  ;D At least he understands now.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Bluelakes 13

All this nonsense about the logo aside, it's unfortunate that, yet again, an expensive venue was selected.  I thought of going to this one since it's in the GLR, but the 4 night stay + parking + conference is over $600...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on March 31, 2011, 05:26:50 PM
All this nonsense about the logo aside, it's unfortunate that, yet again, an expensive venue was selected.  I thought of going to this one since it's in the GLR, but the 4 night stay + parking + conference is over $600...

The problem is that most of the places capable of accommodating the numbers that attend the national conference also happen to be expensive.

RiverAux

It should not at all be hard to find a cheaper place to stay than the conference hotel for individual members that want to go.  I recently went to a work conference where the rooms would have been something like $130 a night.  This was probably not out of line for this particular hotel, but was much higher than usual for this particular conference.  So, I found a chain motel outside of town for $39 a night that was perfectly acceptable. 

Of course, I'm sure CAP guaranteed the hotel a certain number of room bookings based on those whose attendance is being funded by the Wings and CAP NHQ.  They'll have to stay there or probably CAP would have to pay a fee for not filling all the rooms they said they would.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 31, 2011, 05:45:35 PM
Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on March 31, 2011, 05:26:50 PM

The problem is that most of the places capable of accommodating the numbers that attend the national conference also happen to be expensive.

You can't stay anywhere you won't be concerned about your health of safety these days for less than $80-100, at least nowhere I'd want to stay.
And conferences aren't free.  If we want more than lunch at the VFW, this is what these things cost.  Split between two people the rooms aren't
really that big a deal.

I just got back from Las Vegas and stayed across the street from the LVCC, the peak nights were $359 a night.  I could have stayed on the strip for
less, but then you've got to be paying for cabs there and back, so factor $20-50 a day for that.

Stuff costs money.

I'm debating on going myself.  I did the Louisville drive last Fall for a show and it wasn't that big a deal, but I'll tell you this, Louisville is not Paris.
If the weather is decent it might be a nice ride on the bike.  Maybe I can convince ICENICE and the SD to take the trip with me.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I don't have any problem with CAP holding national conferences and banquets - under the stipulation that we don't lose money doing them.  If the costs to run it can be covered by sponsors, etc - then I'm good, otherwise, I think it's just bad business.

I don't even have a problem with it being a bit expensive for the average member to go.  Doing CAP stuff costs money, whether its buying your uniform accessories or making the choice to spend a week in San Diego.  If CAP's membership isn't willing to support it financially, why should anyone else?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: kmbarnes1 on March 31, 2011, 04:58:44 PM

It pleases me that cadets all over the country get it when it comes to the CAP identity crisis.  That is good news for our future.  Hopefully they won't totally destroy it by the time they get to be in charge. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: davidsinn on March 31, 2011, 02:07:11 PM

It looks like someone at National Headquarters did this, judging by the general feel of it, the type choices and the availability of that godawful illegal logo. Was the fix in?

Oh, well. Guess Florida Wing will adopt its own now, especially since they're not sharing this (not that anyone wants it).

addo1

Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

manfredvonrichthofen

Absolutely disgusting! I can't stand that thing, I wonder who came up with the triangle thingy.

MSG Mac

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 31, 2011, 09:14:01 PM
I don't have any problem with CAP holding national conferences and banquets - under the stipulation that we don't lose money doing them.  If the costs to run it can be covered by sponsors, etc - then I'm good, otherwise, I think it's just bad business.

I don't even have a problem with it being a bit expensive for the average member to go.  Doing CAP stuff costs money, whether its buying your uniform accessories or making the choice to spend a week in San Diego.  If CAP's membership isn't willing to support it financially, why should anyone else?
Ha anyone else noticed that the number of members attending the conferences have been going down every year? At one time you could expect the paid attendees to be close to a thousand. In the last few years it's been closer to 5-600 depending on the location. last year in San Diego they didn't even have exhibitors (other than Vanguard). I'm planning on going, but it's still a 1500 mile R/T drive. and with gas prices mounting maybe not.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Ned

If it helps, I hear the MC for the banquet will be amusing . . . .

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: addo1 on April 11, 2011, 04:54:39 PM
It has been officially announced yesterday ladies and gentlemen. You may find the story and the announcement here: http://www.capvolunteernow.com/news.cfm/logo_unveiled_for_2011_annual_conference_70th_cap_anniversary?show=news&newsID=10407.
The triangle thingy was included on a logo designed by a safety officer?  I submit the traingle thingy is a safety hazard, with several pointy edges that could hurt somebody.   >:D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Al Sayre

Yeah, and the aircraft appears to be exceeding 60 degrees of bank...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MSG Mac

Quote from: Ned on April 11, 2011, 06:07:50 PM
It's an awards Banquet. I'm not getting an award and I don't know anyone who is. It also requires an extra night at the hotel. By the time it's over I will have driven to Atlanta or further.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Seriously, what can we do to raise the point and gauge if there are others that think as the majority seem to here .. that the Triangle-Thingy just sucks and needs to go?

Set up a survey/petition and then actually do something with the results if there's enough? What?

JC004

I fear it is likely to be like other issues there have been on which there was probably a large member consensus - for example, that CAP has been changing the uniform WAY to often with total disregard for the costs to the members in a recession.  There was EXTENSIVE complaining and still is.  Some people have taken it to their National Board members - I know of at least, I don't know, a dozen or more.  Some have complained to MULTIPLE National Board members.  They haven't stopped - just slowed for a while.  Maybe the calm before the storm. 

It's their prerogative to dictate policy as they see fit within the Constitution and Bylaws.  They do that.  It's the members' prerogative to vote with their feet and many, many have.  That's the sad part of it all.  I don't know that many have left as a result of uniforms.  We probably wouldn't want them if they did.  BUT, many leave for the attitudes behind the uniform changes and all the rest (Triangle Thingy, etc.).  That is, the total lack of direction, of published goals, "industry" standards, common professional practice...  It's arbitrary and people don't follow arbitrary - people follow causes.  That's when I lead something (with many non-profits, my own organization, and otherwise), I make a cause of it.  Reference: Kill The Triangle Thingy.

addo1

Quote from: Ned on April 11, 2011, 06:07:50 PM

Ah, yes indeed sir. Yes indeed.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on April 15, 2011, 04:43:21 AMIt's their prerogative to dictate policy as they see fit within the Constitution and Bylaws.  They do that.  It's the members' prerogative to vote with their feet and many, many have.  That's the sad part of it all.  I don't know that many have left as a result of uniforms.  We probably wouldn't want them if they did.  BUT, many leave for the attitudes behind the uniform changes and all the rest (Triangle Thingy, etc.).  That is, the total lack of direction, of published goals, "industry" standards, common professional practice...  It's arbitrary and people don't follow arbitrary - people follow causes.  That's when I lead something (with many non-profits, my own organization, and otherwise), I make a cause of it.  Reference: Kill The Triangle Thingy.
Personally I don't have any problem with the new Triangle emblem to be used only in selected circumstances.  What I'm still waiting for is the public publication of CAP's short, medium, & long term goals and how we as an organization will achieve these objectives.  It would seem to me will all these these board meeting & travel expenses in high priced hotels that there would be a clear set of objectives set forth overall, and communicated effectively to the membership.   Have I missed this somewhere in all the housekeeping administrative mumbo jumbo that most of these meetings seem to produce ??? :-[
RM     

JC004

Why have a limited-use logo?

Seriously...CAP has the most fragmented and inconsistent brand of any non-profit of its size that I've ever seen.  I've been studying non-profits for a long time and dealt with many.  I've studied their marketing and all extensively.  I see nothing like this in an organization of CAP's size and I can't think of a smaller one (except maybe some tiny local groups) offhand that has such a terrible time with its brand (or lack thereof).

Across the board, CAP's national leadership needs to use something like my rules of non-profit management: engage your people - communicate clearly - make it simple - make it matter.  They need to unify things too.  Having NHQ doing its own thing, changing the organization's brand randomly (and often) after 10 minutes in Microsoft Paint and all of that crap has to go.  There are some departments like Cadet Programs that put out great things but overall, there needs to be an overhaul, unification, goals, all that.

JC004

What can CAP learn from a cartoon?  A lot on the topic of uniforms and the uniform branding of an organization.  Start the video at 5:35. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92KZNSt5j2U

FW

Quote from: JC004 on April 16, 2011, 12:47:31 AM
Why have a limited-use logo?

Across the board, CAP's national leadership needs to use something like my rules of non-profit management: engage your people - communicate clearly - make it simple - make it matter.  They need to unify things too.  Having NHQ doing its own thing, changing the organization's brand randomly (and often) after 10 minutes in Microsoft Paint and all of that crap has to go.  There are some departments like Cadet Programs that put out great things but overall, there needs to be an overhaul, unification, goals, all that.

A good thought for August 20st at about 9:30pm.... ;)