Wright Brothers test

Started by I_Am_Twigs, April 04, 2018, 06:40:27 PM

I_Am_Twigs

I've searched this topic already and they seem out of date so I thought I may as well start a new one.

I have a cadet that has taken and failed the test 5-7 ish times?

So far his leadership book looks like someone has taken it and painted it yellow (he highlights, a lot).

He also has a notepad with like 50 pages or so that is about half way full with notes.

Any tips on how I can help him study?
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Eclipse

https://quizlet.com/118000460/wright-brothers-achievement-test-civil-air-patrol-flash-cards/

http://www.cram.com/flashcards/wright-brothers-test-help-part-1-2575508

https://www.studystack.com/flashcard-2205738

This is something that probably needs to be addressed with the Senior leadership and the
cadet with his parents.  There may be a cognitive or similar issue you are not aware of
and accommodations might be necessary.  This is not something for you to address or
even be aware of beyond suggesting they speak to the Commander.

Another option might be to have him take the test in the alternative way to however he's done
it to date (online vs. paper).

"That Others May Zoom"

I_Am_Twigs

QuoteThis is something that probably needs to be addressed with the Senior leadership and the cadet with his parents.

This has been done, and it hasn't helped much (our Senior leadership isn't the best, imo but that's just me)

QuoteThere may be a cognitive or similar issue you are not aware of
and accommodations might be necessary.

I believe I'm aware of the full situation, although there still might be gaps. This cadet is a personal friend of mine so
I've known him since we were little, hence the reason I want to help him and why I know so much about the situation.

QuoteThis is not something for you to address or even be aware of beyond suggesting they speak to the Commander.

I'm aware of the problem because again he and I are very close and he comes to me with almost any problem.
And also our squadron commander is a deputy at our local police station and he's on-call most of the time so he's not at our
meetings a whole lot. Or were you referring to a different commander?

QuoteAnother option might be to have him take the test in the alternative way to however he's done it to date (online vs. paper).

I'll see what the cadet thinks about this. And I'll also see if our DCC would do it (he prefers online tests).
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on April 04, 2018, 07:08:59 PM
QuoteThis is something that probably needs to be addressed with the Senior leadership and the cadet with his parents.

This has been done, and it hasn't helped much (our Senior leadership isn't the best, imo but that's just me)

Probably not the wisest kind of statement to be making on an open forum.

And also our squadron commander is a deputy at our local police station and he's on-call most of the time so he's not at our
meetings a whole lot. Or were you referring to a different commander?
Your unit CC, busy or not, is responsible for insuring all his members succeed and have the resources they need.
If he has delegated this to another leader, that's fine, then that person needs to take the steps necessary.

QuoteAnother option might be to have him take the test in the alternative way to however he's done it to date (online vs. paper).

I'll see what the cadet thinks about this. And I'll also see if our DCC CDC would do it (he prefers online tests).

The CDC, assuming he is the TCO, does not have the option of refusing when a cadet requests a
test on paper, however if there is an issue that requires accommodation, that should be
established well in advance of the need.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

I'll see what the cadet thinks about this. And I'll also see if our DCC would do it (he prefers online tests).

I had a cadet that was struggling with the Mitchell Award leadership test and decided to offer the written test to him if he wanted to try it.  He passed it on the first try after months of failing the online test.  I suspect that he had convinced himself that the online test was too hard for him to pass, and noticed that he was much more relaxed and confident while taking the written version.

In hindsight, I really regret letting things go so long before offering the written test.  I won't make that mistake again.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

I_Am_Twigs

Ok, thank you gentleman, I think I know what I need to do now.

-Twigs
C/Maj, CAP

Capmonkey

I had a cadet a few years ago in this same situation. She failed the Wright Brother's test multiple times, and started to get discouraged. As a Chief at the time, I sat with her two or three times a week and had study sessions. My advice to you is to have the cadet answer each of the objective questions, as well as the review questions at the end of each chapter in volume one. Maybe some one-on-one study help may do the cadet some good. Just giving advice on what this did for my cadet (she ended up passing the next time after I had helped her). @I_Am_Twigs, If I can help in any way, feel free to PM me!

Sincerely,
C/Maj Capmonkey

I_Am_Twigs

He ended up passing a few days ago and finished the requirements yesterday, so now he'll be promoting this week!  ;D ;D

Thank you all for your help!

-Twigs
C/Maj, CAP