Main Menu

EMT Cadets?

Started by CAPAirman, August 25, 2010, 06:57:23 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPAirman on October 11, 2010, 02:33:03 PM
I do have a sense of humor, I was trying to make a joke as well, if i offended you I'm sorry. But I don't plan to go EMS. I do plan to go to West Point after I graduate high School and after 10 years maybe be a police officer.

If you have no interest in EMS, why would you want to be the unit "medical officer" (that position being an open to a cadet notwithstanding)?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2010, 09:35:03 PM
Quote from: CAPAirman on October 11, 2010, 02:33:03 PM
I do have a sense of humor, I was trying to make a joke as well, if i offended you I'm sorry. But I don't plan to go EMS. I do plan to go to West Point after I graduate high School and after 10 years maybe be a police officer.

If you have no interest in EMS, why would you want to be the unit "medical officer" (that position being an open to a cadet notwithstanding)?
I''m thinking bling or desire of a title.

Krapenhoeffer

Ooh!! You can be the Health Services Officer (and apparently, cadets can do this if they have the "qualifications"), and badger people into getting their Flu shot!

And then, you get to wear a Star Of Life badge on your blues, and be a glorified C/Safety!

Not to mention, you do realize that virtually all EMT-Bs are volunteers, right? For the most part, it's only Paramedics who get paid. However, they have to have an Associates Degree under their belt. EMT-B is just a few months of night school, two times a week at the local community college.

Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

DakRadz

Heck, this sounds like a good bling gig with a title great leadership experience.

Where do I sign up? ;)

Actually, now that I know EMT isn't a huge training deal, I might look into it. Not for CAP, but it's good to know some skills. Never know when it'll pay off.

JayT

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 12, 2010, 03:41:12 AMNot to mention, you do realize that virtually all EMT-Bs are volunteers, right? For the most part, it's only Paramedics who get paid. However, they have to have an Associates Degree under their belt. EMT-B is just a few months of night school, two times a week at the local community college.

Disagree. Every urban center in the county employees hundreds, if not thousands of EMT's as BLS care providers. Between paid BLS First Responders, Third Service, Voluntary Hospitals, Fire Department Based Service, Police Department Based Service, EMT's paid by Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Services.......I'd say most EMT-B's are paid.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Krapenhoeffer

Okay, then I amend my previous clause with:

Large urban centers notwithstanding.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

JayT

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 12, 2010, 04:37:09 AM
Okay, then I amend my previous clause with:

Large urban centers notwithstanding.

*coughs* Having people around to actually get hurt is nice *coughs*

Just kidding.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SJFedor

Quote from: JThemann on October 12, 2010, 04:32:54 AM
Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 12, 2010, 03:41:12 AMNot to mention, you do realize that virtually all EMT-Bs are volunteers, right? For the most part, it's only Paramedics who get paid. However, they have to have an Associates Degree under their belt. EMT-B is just a few months of night school, two times a week at the local community college.

Disagree. Every urban center in the county employees hundreds, if not thousands of EMT's as BLS care providers. Between paid BLS First Responders, Third Service, Voluntary Hospitals, Fire Department Based Service, Police Department Based Service, EMT's paid by Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Services.......I'd say most EMT-B's are paid.

<----highly paid abused busy EMT-B in an urban city.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Major Lord

When I was running 911 calls with a County contracting ambulance, EMT's were paid about the same as the guy working at Taco Bell, but people would try to kill us and there was no such thing as "overtime".  Its a great job for awhile, and you get to see and do things most people never do. ( How many people have held a lunchbox with someones eyeballs in it?)  Most people burn out on EMS within ten years. Working for a Fire Department is a horse of a different color. Everyone loves firemen, the pay is great, outstanding work hours, etc.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

CommGeek

I agree, when I was working EMS starting National Registry EMT's made 10.25 an hour!   Defiantly under appreciated!

HGjunkie

Quote from: CommGeek on October 13, 2010, 01:17:45 AMDefiantly under appreciated
Defiantly? They were defiant? Wait, what?  :angel:
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

CommGeek

[darn] spell check...never said EMS guys could spell good...

SarDragon

Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

The original Q has been answered, with excellent amplifying info. It has degenerated to drivel.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CommGeek

The forum Nazi has spoken!!!    First amendment!   let us speak!    I bet you feel important when you sensor a post...don't you?  :)

HGjunkie

Are you talking about the language filter?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: CommGeek on October 13, 2010, 01:41:13 AM
The forum Nazi has spoken!!!    First amendment!   let us speak!    I bet you feel important when you sensor a post...don't you?  :)
I guarantee that the mods don't base their decisions on SarDragon's comments- I've seen threads go on for 4-5 pages after the tick-tock clock. SarDragon is merely an excellent barometer of the direction that a thread is heading- or a GPS of where it is at.

Freedom of speech? By joining, you kind of agree to let the moderators run their board their way.
[prepared for backlash- I've got donuts for the wait]

P.S. SarDragon isn't a mod, merely a member expressing and utilizing his freedom of speech. He can't change or sensor any posts, merely drown them in logic.

SarDragon: Sir, I think you were right about this tick-tocking away... :)

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on October 13, 2010, 01:47:14 AM
[prepared for backlash- I've got donuts for the wait]
Got any coffee and candy corn?  :P
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

CommGeek

No. Sardragon threatening to lock the post

DakRadz

No, sir... SarDragon has zero moderator capabilities.

Guess what? I've made posts about locking topics too, but I can't do it. I just happened to be right about the mods deciding to lock it.
See here:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=11008.msg201452#msg201452

Doesn't mean I actually locked it. Because I can't.

SarDragon

For starters, that's censor.

Dak is correct, I'm not a mod, and have no aspirations to be one. It's outside my skill set. I can, however, suggest to our forum members that one of two things happen: the thread gets back on track, or, it's time to lock it. I leave that decision, and task, for the real mods.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret