Main Menu

Overseas Units

Started by sleepyboyd, July 27, 2015, 05:22:34 AM

sleepyboyd

Greetings from the Far East,

Its summer PCS season.  If you are a Cadet or Senior member who happens to be moving overseas with the DOD, please check out the Overseas Units.  I recently discovered the www.gocivilairpatrol.com unit locator tool does not cover Overseas Units (we are notifying NHQ about it to see if there is a fix).  Please pass the word.  I can't speak for Europe, but in the Pacific we have Yokota, Kadena, Osan, & Misawa.  The Yokota Cadet Squadron is standing up a Flight in Guam at Andersen AFB right now, should be ready by the fall. 

If you are already overseas, post something about your unit. 

v/r

ADAM BOYD, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
Yokota Cadet Squadron, NHQ-103
www.facebook.com/yokotacap

Wilson #2936
AOBD, MCPE, GTL, FLM

abdsp51

There are units at Ramstein and Spangdahlem.  And one was just stood up in either Lakenheath or Mildenhall. 

NIN

BTW, is it just me, or is it *awesome* that the Yokota Sq's patch has Godzilla on it or what? :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AlphaSigOU

I'm shipping over to Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands next month for my second tour in paradise - in the middle of nowhere! Before anyone asks - or reminds me - about forming an overseas cadet squadron on Kwaj, be aware that current regulations only allow formation of overseas units in Air Force facilities, not in Army or Navy installations overseas. (And Kwaj is an Army installation.) Until and unless we get permission from the Army garrison commander and a waiver from CAP NHQ to CAPR 35-4, it just ain't happening. I can ask nicely; all they can tell me is 'not only no, but OH, HELL NO!!!' :D (And I don't have the time right now to deal with running a squadron.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LSThiker

Quote from: NIN on July 27, 2015, 10:43:58 AM
BTW, is it just me, or is it *awesome* that the Yokota Sq's patch has Godzilla on it or what? :)

Depends.  In today's eyes, it is funny to see the Godzilla.  However, if you understand how the Godzilla was developed, perhaps not.  Godzilla was essentially a metaphor for atomic weapons in that sometimes he is portrayed as good and sometimes as bad.  Shogo Tomiyama, the original producer, saw Godzilla as the God of Destruction in that it would destroy so rebirth could occur.  Its skin is modeled after the keloid scars that some Japanese formed after the atomic weapons.  The fire it breaths is the result of the nuclear reaction that occurs inside it.  It was for all intents and purposes a warning about the development of nuclear energy after the 1952 detonation of the first US H-bomb. 

Nevertheless, it does make me wonder a bit.  Toho headquarters seems to be suing a lot of people lately over the use of Godzilla.  I wonder if the emblem ever received permission from Toho to use Godzilla?

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: LSThiker on July 27, 2015, 01:40:22 PM
Quote from: NIN on July 27, 2015, 10:43:58 AM

Depends.  In today's eyes, it is funny to see the Godzilla.  However, if you understand how the Godzilla was developed, perhaps not.  Godzilla was essentially a metaphor for atomic weapons in that sometimes he is portrayed as good and sometimes as bad.  Shogo Tomiyama, the original producer, saw Godzilla as the God of Destruction in that it would destroy so rebirth could occur.  Its skin is modeled after the keloid scars that some Japanese formed after the atomic weapons.  The fire it breaths is the result of the nuclear reaction that occurs inside it.  It was for all intents and purposes a warning about the development of nuclear energy after the 1952 detonation of the first US H-bomb. 

Nevertheless, it does make me wonder a bit.  Toho headquarters seems to be suing a lot of people lately over the use of Godzilla.  I wonder if the emblem ever received permission from Toho to use Godzilla?

Wow...!  That's interesting, and thanks for sharing.  I've watched several of the old Godzilla movies - long night 'stand by' watches many years ago - and I never knew the backstory.

:clap:

sleepyboyd

AlphaSigOU, Kwajalein Atoll is a really neat place to visit.  How long are you going to be there?  If you ever get lonely in the Pacific, just give us a shout at Yokota.  We are planning some virtual PD sessions this fall with Kadena, and perhaps you could join in online.  I also transit the islands around the Pacific in my day job, so if I pass through there, maybe we can grab a bicycle and ride over to that burger shack.
ADAM BOYD, Lt Col, CAP
Commander

Wilson #2936
AOBD, MCPE, GTL, FLM

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: sleepyboyd on July 28, 2015, 12:12:33 AM
AlphaSigOU, Kwajalein Atoll is a really neat place to visit.  How long are you going to be there?  If you ever get lonely in the Pacific, just give us a shout at Yokota.  We are planning some virtual PD sessions this fall with Kadena, and perhaps you could join in online.  I also transit the islands around the Pacific in my day job, so if I pass through there, maybe we can grab a bicycle and ride over to that burger shack.

I was there for three years (2009-2012) in my first tour before my job relocated to Huntsville, Alabama. This second tour will provide me with many challenges as I become not only the island's technical drafter, but also their configuration auditor. As you can see by my sig block, I am the Alabama Wing Director of Professional Development (until I ship off to Kwaj next month); I wouldn't mind helping teach an online SLS/CLC/TLC for Pacific overseas squadrons in the near future. I'll be there for at least two years or until the end of the contract in February 2018; and there remains the possibility that I could be picked up by the new contractor.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

sleepyboyd

AlphaSigOU, this is curious... I am a Master PD Officer as well, and I was contacted yesterday by Osan about their Master rated PD officer wanting to hold an SLS.  Three Master PD officers in the Pacific...

Anyway, that would be great if you wanted to join in and help teach a course.  I mentioned to Osan the possibility of using DCO (or whatever replaced it last month).  Please PM me your contacts and I'll keep you in the loop!
ADAM BOYD, Lt Col, CAP
Commander

Wilson #2936
AOBD, MCPE, GTL, FLM

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Hello,

If someone is pcs'ing to Spangdahlem AFB Germany, you can find information about our unit on our facebook page

www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem

We meet every Thursday at 1800.

If you need more information please feel free to contact us.  nhqos126@yahoo.com

All the best from Europe.

P.S. good initiative from sleepyboyd to launch a post about overseas units.

Frank
Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
LX1MG

RogueLeader

Quote from: NHQ-OS-126 Frank on July 28, 2015, 08:35:19 AM
Hello,

If someone is pcs'ing to Spangdahlem AFB Germany, you can find information about our unit on our facebook page

We meet every Thursday at 1800.

If you need more information please feel free to contact us.  nhqos126@yahoo.com

All the best from Europe.

P.S. good initiative from sleepyboyd to launch a post about overseas units.

Frank

Interesting, one of my Officers just PCS'd there IIRC.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

sleepyboyd

Thanks Frank!  This is exactly the information we need to get out to the masses. 

Any other Overseas personnel out there on CapTalk?
ADAM BOYD, Lt Col, CAP
Commander

Wilson #2936
AOBD, MCPE, GTL, FLM

SarDragon

We have at least two former commanders of the Misawa unit on here - myself, April-August 1989; Pat Harris, some time after that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panzerbjorn

My son is in all likelihood headed to Tokyo as an exchange student with Rotary International.  We'll have to see if it would be practical to come visit the squadron and continue to participate as a cadet!  That would be fantastic if it works out that way!

Let's stay in touch.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Ohioguard

I was the commander of the Okinawa Cadet Squadron from 1981 until 1985.  A great experience.  We held several encampments while I was there.  Held the first overseas CLC there and senior members from Yakota and Massawa came to it.  Sent one cadet to COS and he came back as their honor cadet and 1st place in speech.  The first Spaatz cadet from an overseas unit was from the Okinawa Cadet Squadron.  I believe Jeff Morris is still the only Spaatz cadet from an overseas unit.  We sent senior members to a Region Staff College at Hickam and I actually attended the National Staff College traveling from Okinawa.

We had great support from the base leadership, the local NCO academy, the rescue unit assigned to Kadena and the Keystone Chapter of the AFA.

JEFFREY WANDELL, Lt Colonel, CAP

sleepyboyd

Panzerbjorn, we would love to have your son visit the squadron during his visit.  Please PM me and we can exchange proper contacts.

Ohioguard, we have two cadets here who joined our unit a little over three years ago who are gunning hard for Spaatz. (Currently at C/Maj and C/2d Lt).  Lucky for them, thier parents are DAF Civs and DoDDS teachers, so they are not on the normal two to three year PCS cycle.  I would love to contact that spaatz cadet you had from Okinawa if you know how to.  Thanks!
ADAM BOYD, Lt Col, CAP
Commander

Wilson #2936
AOBD, MCPE, GTL, FLM

Ohioguard

It was interesting getting the Spaatz test administered on Okinawa back then.  The closest LO was in Hawaii.  Special authorization was made with the base testing office to administer the test and the PT portion was administered by an active duty major that was in our unit.  The Spaatz Award was presented by the 313 AD commander.

The cadet in question is Jeff D. Morris.  He is an active duty SNCO in the Army, with his PHD, instructing at West Point.  I will see if I can locate a good email for you.

I have some good historical information on that unit if your are interested, from the beginning until I left in 1985.

JCW

sleepyboyd

Thanks Ohioguard.  Please pass it along when you find it.

I have also recieved word from Marie Vogt at NHQ that a new tab has been added to www.gocivilairpatrol.com.  The new "Joining Overseas" tab should help folks locate a Cadet Unit abroad.  http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_home/joining_overseas/
ADAM BOYD, Lt Col, CAP
Commander

Wilson #2936
AOBD, MCPE, GTL, FLM

abdsp51

Overseas Units definitely have a unique atmosphere to them.  When I started as a cadet it was in an overseas unit and it was a blast.   It's a good place for cadets to learn to be cadets and focus on their achievements. 

stillamarine

Quote from: Ohioguard on July 30, 2015, 03:27:38 AM
I was the commander of the Okinawa Cadet Squadron from 1981 until 1985.  A great experience.  We held several encampments while I was there.  Held the first overseas CLC there and senior members from Yakota and Massawa came to it.  Sent one cadet to COS and he came back as their honor cadet and 1st place in speech.  The first Spaatz cadet from an overseas unit was from the Okinawa Cadet Squadron.  I believe Jeff Morris is still the only Spaatz cadet from an overseas unit.  We sent senior members to a Region Staff College at Hickam and I actually attended the National Staff College traveling from Okinawa.

We had great support from the base leadership, the local NCO academy, the rescue unit assigned to Kadena and the Keystone Chapter of the AFA.

JEFFREY WANDELL, Lt Colonel, CAP

I joined the Okinawa Cadet Sqd in 88. Went to my first encampment at the NCO Academy. I still think the building we had was the best facility ever.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com