Main Menu

BBDU brands

Started by Walkman, July 24, 2015, 09:58:09 PM

Walkman

I always lived right below the H/W line, but went over at the beginning of the year. I've been wearing the LSU since, and it's finally set in that I'm not going to be able to get back to USAF-style uniforms any time soon (sad face...). So I'm on the hunt for some decent BBDUs. I know this has been discussed here before but my search-fu is weak right now. I know Propper is a good brand. What are the brands to avoid?

GroundHawg

Im sure a few on here will tell you to avoid Rothco, and if we were talking about boots or bags, I would be the first to tell you to spend the extra money and buy a better product. I have not had the same experience with Rotcho BDUs/BBDUs.

For CAP usage (once a week, maybe a three day weekend or an encampment) they are fine and mine have not faded nearly as bad as I expected if at all. For years I have stocked and sold other bdus including propper, fox, truspec, condor, etc... but I avoided rothco as I have hear horrible reviews and saw their crap quality bags fall apart first hand. I ended up getting an account with rothco specifically to carry their bdus and a few other little things after being given a set and wore them myself. The fact that I can sell a complete set to a CAP member for $30 isnt a bad thing either ;)

SarDragon

My Proppers are 11 years olde, and still going strong. I average wearing them about once a month, and have two sets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SaBeR33

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 24, 2015, 11:34:22 PM
Im sure a few on here will tell you to avoid Rothco, and if we were talking about boots or bags, I would be the first to tell you to spend the extra money and buy a better product. I have not had the same experience with Rotcho BDUs/BBDUs.

For CAP usage (once a week, maybe a three day weekend or an encampment) they are fine and mine have not faded nearly as bad as I expected if at all. For years I have stocked and sold other bdus including propper, fox, truspec, condor, etc... but I avoided rothco as I have hear horrible reviews and saw their crap quality bags fall apart first hand. I ended up getting an account with rothco specifically to carry their bdus and a few other little things after being given a set and wore them myself. The fact that I can sell a complete set to a CAP member for $30 isnt a bad thing either ;)

Would you happen to know if any of your suppliers carries BBDUs in a Med-XLong? If the cut of the Med-Long is the same length as the woodland BDUs they won't fit me since all I wore while in the USAF was a Med-XLong since I'm a tall, thin guy. If you're wondering why I'm inquiring about the BBDUs since I meet already height/weight standards, it's because I want the option to still be on the fuzzy side since I usually grow a beard during the fall/winter.

Capt Thompson

John I'll send you an email to inquire about a set, I'd like to pick up an additional set to keep with my ES gear.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Slim

Quote from: Walkman on July 24, 2015, 09:58:09 PM
I always lived right below the H/W line, but went over at the beginning of the year. I've been wearing the LSU since, and it's finally set in that I'm not going to be able to get back to USAF-style uniforms any time soon (sad face...). So I'm on the hunt for some decent BBDUs. I know this has been discussed here before but my search-fu is weak right now. I know Propper is a good brand. What are the brands to avoid?

Propper all the way.  And, spend a little extra and go with the 65/35 poly/cotton blend.  They'll last longer and won't fade as fast, and they are pretty much wash and wear.  I have two sets about 5 years old now; when I cut the flag patches off the right sleeve last year, you could hardly see any fade.  And, with the poly/cotton blend, they are pretty much wash and wear.

Slim

brent.teal

I like truspec.  They have a nice deep blue color. 
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.