Recruitment/Discussion/School

Started by The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me, March 07, 2018, 04:11:00 PM

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

I am going to go to a school to discuss about Civil Air Patrol to some teenagers, does anyone have any ideas on what I should mainly focus on when talking about C.A.P. or main key points?

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie
C/SSgt Cassie

I_Am_Twigs

Definitely the leadership knowledge they would gain. Another one would be the benefits of earning the Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker, and Spaatz. Make sure you talk about the friendships they can gain, squadrons that have lots of friendships creates a strongly knit group such as my unit. Also if possible take someone with you, you need someone else to back you up so it doesn't just sound like you're telling stories (A problem I have). I've found that showing them the rank structure helps as well. That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now, hope it helps!

- Twigs
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on March 07, 2018, 04:49:38 PM
Definitely the leadership knowledge they would gain. Another one would be the benefits of earning the Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker, and Spaatz. Make sure you talk about the friendships they can gain, squadrons that have lots of friendships creates a strongly knit group such as my unit. Also if possible take someone with you, you need someone else to back you up so it doesn't just sound like you're telling stories (A problem I have). I've found that showing them the rank structure helps as well. That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now, hope it helps!

- Twigs

Thank you so much Twigs. This was helpful.
C/SSgt Cassie

Toad1168

I would also highlight all three missions.  Each one will appeal to a different group.  Some like leadership, some STEM, some ES type things. 
Toad

LSThiker

Quote from: The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me on March 07, 2018, 04:11:00 PM
I am going to go to a school to discuss about Civil Air Patrol to some teenagers, does anyone have any ideas on what I should mainly focus on when talking about C.A.P. or main key points?

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie

I have to ask, was this cleared by the appropriate Senior Member?  That is, the Public Affairs or Recruiting/Retention Officer?  Did they give you any information, pamphlets, tips, etc?

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Quote from: LSThiker on March 07, 2018, 06:38:20 PM

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie

I have to ask, was this cleared by the appropriate Senior Member?  That is, the Public Affairs or Recruiting/Retention Officer?  Did they give you any information, pamphlets, tips, etc?

The SM (Senior Member) who told us about this is not a Public Affairs or Recruiting Officer. And we (me and a few other cadets and senior members) were just told meet up at a certain school to come help try and recruit new members and talk about C.A.P.
C/SSgt Cassie

I_Am_Twigs

Peraonally I don't think it matters if the appropriate senior member gave her permission to go to a school and talk about CAP. As long as you're not in a uniform combination you should be fine. I personally carry my books with me everywhere, it annoys the crap out of everyone in my squadron but they're handy to have when one of your discussions with a non-member is about CAP. So to sum it up, no uniform then you're good. If a uniform is wanted then you MUST get permission from the appropriate senior member. Again hope this helps!

-Twigs
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

CAPLTC

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on March 08, 2018, 01:51:08 AM
Peraonally I don't think it matters if the appropriate senior member gave her permission

I'd confirm this is all OK with your Deputy Commander for Cadets.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Quote from: The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me on March 08, 2018, 01:32:58 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on March 07, 2018, 06:38:20 PM

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie

The SM (Senior Member) who told us about this is not a Public Affairs or Recruiting Officer. And we (me and a few other cadets and senior members) were just told meet up at a certain school to come help try and recruit new members and talk about C.A.P.

I am sort of new to C.A.P. (and for the short time I have been in it the Chain of Command has changed 3 times) but the SM who gave us this info I believe has the authority to do this. And we were told to wear BDU's or ABU's if that helps clear up anything. Thank you for your help, First Sargent Twigs.

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie
C/SSgt Cassie

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Quote from: CAPLTC on March 08, 2018, 02:41:53 AM
Peraonally I don't think it matters if the appropriate senior member gave her permission

I'd confirm this is all OK with your Deputy Commander for Cadets.

Thank you for this advice I will try and clear up what needs to be cleared up tomorrow night.

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie
C/SSgt Cassie

LSThiker

Peraonally I don't think it matters if the appropriate senior member gave her permission to go to a school and talk about CAP. As long as you're not in a uniform combination you should be fine. I personally carry my books with me everywhere, it annoys the crap out of everyone in my squadron but they're handy to have when one of your discussions with a non-member is about CAP. So to sum it up, no uniform then you're good. If a uniform is wanted then you MUST get permission from the appropriate senior member. Again hope this helps!

-Twigs

It does matter if the appropriate senior member gave her permission.  As you contradicted yourself in a just a few sentences, if a cadet goes to a school (or any outside organization) for the purpose of CAP recruiting (regardless of uniform or not), it better be approved by the appropriate SM, whether that be the PAO, R&R, CDC, or CC.  The way in which the question was phrased (go to a school to discuss about Civil Air Patrol to some teenagers), and later confirmed by the OP, it was clear that this was not an incidental recruiting, but a planned event.  An incidental recruiting event being something you described, informal talking and you happen to pitch CAP.  Of course, those do not necessarily require approval. 

However, keeping a few recruiting brochures in my bag might be something you want to inform your CDC about as a precaution.  Some schools have a serious issue of passing out any brochures, especially recruiting or military-related, to other students.  Even if not strictly prohibited by the school and that the action is rather informal, it can cause a bad perception that should a CAP unit want to set-up a formal recruiting pitch, the school may baulk at it due to the actions of another.  Also, a request can be denied (both legally and illegally) simply because an administrator or principal says "No".  Generally not an issue, but something to be mindful of. 

LSThiker

I would ask for some more details from your respective SMs.  What does the squadron want to focus on?  Is the squadron active in ES?  If not and have no intention as a squadron to do so, then mentioning ES is probably not the primary route.  Likewise the same for AE.  Do not mention Drill Team if your squadron does not plan on it.  Do not mention X if X is not going to happen.  Highlight what YOUR squadron does, not what other Wings/Squadrons do.

Ask the SMs, what do they expect YOU to do?  Things that they may call on YOU to do.  Will YOU be giving any talks or is that up to the SMs?  Is this just a booth?  Are YOU there to just provide some insight as a person of your age?  Will they be asking to give your experiences as a CAP cadet?  If so, think of how to respond to that question.  If any planning went into this, which I hope there is otherwise it could damage CAP in the local area, the SMs should know what is expected and what type of items they are expecting. 

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Quote from: LSThiker on March 08, 2018, 02:46:10 PM

I would ask for some more details from your respective SMs.  What does the squadron want to focus on?  Is the squadron active in ES?  If not and have no intention as a squadron to do so, then mentioning ES is probably not the primary route.  Likewise the same for AE.  Do not mention Drill Team if your squadron does not plan on it.  Do not mention X if X is not going to happen.  Highlight what YOUR squadron does, not what other Wings/Squadrons do.

Ask the SMs, what do they expect YOU to do?  Things that they may call on YOU to do.  Will YOU be giving any talks or is that up to the SMs?  Is this just a booth?  Are YOU there to just provide some insight as a person of your age?  Will they be asking to give your experiences as a CAP cadet?  If so, think of how to respond to that question.  If any planning went into this, which I hope there is otherwise it could damage CAP in the local area, the SMs should know what is expected and what type of items they are expecting.

LSThiker,

If this helps any it is going to be a showcase. We will have four stations/booths:
1. Introduction to CAP
2. Emergency Services (ELT Search and rEscue)
3. Flight Simulators
4. Communications

I wouldn't worry too much about them damaging any squadron in the area my Squadron has done this sort of showcasing quite a few times with bigger crowds.

Also, thank you so much for this info, I can honestly say this was very helpful. I really appreciate that you took your time out of your day to help me with this.

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie
C/SSgt Cassie

abdsp51

Quote from: The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me on March 08, 2018, 03:25:23 PM

LSThiker,

If this helps any it is going to be a showcase. We will have four stations/booths:
1. Introduction to CAP
3. Flight Simulators
4. Communications

I wouldn't worry too much about them damaging any squadron in the area my Squadron has done this sort of showcasing quite a few times with bigger crowds.

Also, thank you so much for this info, I can honestly say this was very helpful. I really appreciate that you took your time out of your day to help me with this.

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie

That's all nice topics, but if your squadron is doing it then you're setting yourself up to fail.   Cover the 3 missions and what aspects your squadron does.

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Quote from: LSThiker on March 08, 2018, 02:38:58 PM

-Twigs

It does matter if the appropriate senior member gave her permission.  As you contradicted yourself in a just a few sentences, if a cadet goes to a school (or any outside organization) for the purpose of CAP recruiting (regardless of uniform or not), it better be approved by the appropriate SM, whether that be the PAO, R&R, CDC, or CC.  The way in which the question was phrased (go to a school to discuss about Civil Air Patrol to some teenagers), and later confirmed by the OP, it was clear that this was not an incidental recruiting, but a planned event.  An incidental recruiting event being something you described, informal talking and you happen to pitch CAP.  Of course, those do not necessarily require approval. 

However, keeping a few recruiting brochures in my bag might be something you want to inform your CDC about as a precaution.  Some schools have a serious issue of passing out any brochures, especially recruiting or military-related, to other students.  Even if not strictly prohibited by the school and that the action is rather informal, it can cause a bad perception that should a CAP unit want to set-up a formal recruiting pitch, the school may baulk at it due to the actions of another.  Also, a request can be denied (both legally and illegally) simply because an administrator or principal says "No".  Generally not an issue, but something to be mindful of.

LSThiker,

If this helps any I believed the school invited us to come to talk about the C.A.P. story to the aviation club and allowed us to set up stations there. And the SM who did this I am pretty sure for a fact is the appropriate SM, I know that from my time in the squadron so far he has planned quite a few events for showcasing.

Also, thank you so much for this info this was very helpful.

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie
C/SSgt Cassie

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 08, 2018, 03:29:03 PM
Quote from: The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me on March 08, 2018, 03:25:23 PM

LSThiker,

1. Introduction to CAP
3. Flight Simulators
4. Communications

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie

That's all nice topics, but if your squadron is doing it then you're setting yourself up to fail.   Cover the 3 missions and what aspects your squadron does.

abdsp51,

I don't believe that we will fail since my squadron has done these sort of things and has been pretty successful from what I've seen and know. And I will, thank you for that advice.

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie
C/SSgt Cassie

etodd

Visual aids!!!!!  Don't put them to sleep with just a speech!

Take STEM kits with you. Show them rockets, robots and more!
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Quote from: etodd on March 08, 2018, 10:56:45 PM
Visual aids!!!!!  Don't put them to sleep with just a speech!

Take STEM kits with you. Show them rockets, robots and more!

etodd,

Thanks for this advice I really appreciate it and I will keep this in mind for the event. But also if this is good enough we will be taking ES stuff, our Communications Trailer, and a few other stuff.

Thanks!

C/SrA Cassie
C/SSgt Cassie

Spam

Cadet, may I compliment you on the respectful and polite manner in which you've received and responded to suggestions and perhaps a few outright challenges from respondents here on this and other topics. Well handled, especially in cases where you seem to respectfully but professionally disagree.

V/r
Spam

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Quote from: Spam on March 09, 2018, 07:54:58 AM

Cadet, may I compliment you on the respectful and polite manner in which you've received and responded to suggestions and perhaps a few outright challenges from respondents here on this and other topics. Well handled, especially in cases where you seem to respectfully but professionally disagree.

V/r
Spam

V/r Spam,

Thank you for this I have been worried that I hadn't been responding in the best appropriate way, so I really appreciate this. If I have responded in any wrong way in any or if there was any way I could have worded something better please feel free to tell me I don't want to disrespect anyone. Again, thank you so much for this.

Thanks,

C/SrA Cassie
C/SSgt Cassie