Main Menu

Mary Feik test

Started by Greg, February 15, 2005, 12:53:11 PM

Greg

This is the test that just about everybody fails at least once- mostly due to difficult wording of questions.  If it was up to you, would the test be re-written?  Why or why not?
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Schmidty06

I think that it was easy, and that cadets should have to be able to read and answer correctly any diffficult questions.

Nathan

Nope. Shouldn't be rewritten. There are a lot of people who pass it. The only problem is that the information is in the margins, and we all know how much we pay attention to the margins. If you read the margins, though, it's pretty easy.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Yoda

I think it should be re-written to be a correct test.  The test has at least one out-right wrong answer and several badly-worded questions.  This has been examined several times with similar results.  Though I do agree that it is passable if you study, I don't think some editing would hurt.

Hogan

It definitely needs to be edited. Plus it would really help, if the Leadership book was updated to recognize the Fiek as Achievement 3.  ::)

Cmdbuddy

It is updated in the new PDF version of the books.  They're not going to publish new books hard copy anytime soon.  New cadets receive the books on CD, so it has been updated.  Stop whining.

In regards to the general topic, I think it's good that not every test is incredibly easy.  It surely snapped me into shape whenever I failed it.  I definitely started studying in more detail after that. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on February 16, 2005, 07:53:35 PM
It is updated in the new PDF version of the books.  They're not going to publish new books hard copy anytime soon.  New cadets receive the books on CD, so it has been updated.  Stop whining.

New cadets ARE receiving print copies of Leadership 2000 & Beyond: SE with the new cadet packets.
Mike Johnston

Hogan

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on February 16, 2005, 07:53:35 PM

Ouch! That one left a mark......................

Skyray

It's good training for later life.  If you ever take the Bar Exam, the review course conductor tells you that you sit down in the testing center, read the first question, and it asks about something you know cold--something that so to speak, you could write the book on.  So you look at the answers, and the right answer is not there.  To make it brief, your job is to select the correct wrong answer.  So the Mary Feik test is good preparation for real life.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

elkorona

Quote from: Skyray on May 09, 2005, 10:35:23 PM
It's good training for later life.  If you ever take the Bar Exam, the review course conductor tells you that you sit down in the testing center, read the first question, and it asks about something you know cold--something that so to speak, you could write the book on.  So you look at the answers, and the right answer is not there.  To make it brief, your job is to select the correct wrong answer.  So the Mary Feik test is good preparation for real life.

Same with the AFOQT (Air Force Officers Qualification Test).  Its hard and they ain't going to re-write it terribly soon.  Who knows, but I say stop complaining and the ones who study will pass, the ones not, won't.  I failed it once, once...
Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy

usafafreak

Quote from: Nathan on February 15, 2005, 10:02:28 PM
Nope. Shouldn't be rewritten. There are a lot of people who pass it. The only problem is that the information is in the margins, and we all know how much we pay attention to the margins. If you read the margins, though, it's pretty easy.

Nathan, I just took the test not long ago and trust me I read the margins and atleast 4 or 5 of the questions are no where to be found in the book. Don't get me wrong the test should be hard but you can't put questions on it that aren't in the book.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

ladyreferee

Quote from: Nathan on February 15, 2005, 10:02:28 PM

Nathan, I just took the test not long ago and trust me I read the margins and at least 4 or 5 of the questions are no where to be found in the book. Don't get me wrong the test should be hard but you can't put questions on it that aren't in the book.

Actually there are only three not from the book, however, they are all answered from the Drill & Ceremonies book - haven't you read that one yet?   :D  Well since this comment is so late after your post, I'm sure you've read it by now.  ;D  I think the problem may be that cadets aren't told they are responsible for reading ALL of their material, not just the one specific chapter addressed!  My gosh, think about what a responsible senior has to read  for his/her position - and not just the job description/specialty track book.
I get questions that cover the gamut from the cadets and carry all the regs to the meetings so I can answer them  ::)
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: ladyreferee on July 13, 2005, 07:20:55 PM
Actually there are only three not from the book, however, they are all answered from the Drill & Ceremonies book - haven't you read that one yet?  

This test is a MAJOR obsticle for my cadets!

From the CAP Knowledgebase.....

Question
How do I prepare for the Mary Feik achievement?

Answer
To prepare for the Mary Feik achievement, which garners the C/SrA grade, you should do the following:
a. Study chapter three in your "Leadership: 2000 & Beyond" textbook
b. Study any "Aerospace Dimensions" module that you have not already completed
c. Participate in at least half of the Moral Leadership forums offered since the completion of your last achievement
d. Pass the CPFT fitness requirements found in CAPP 52-18
e. Actively participate in squadron and other CAP activities.
==========

Notice that it says nothing at all about studying D&C as preperation.

This test has the highest failure rate of ALL tests administered to our cadets, AND has the highest repeat failure rate.
I do NOT know why, but I know for an absolute FACT, that no other test we administer causes more cadets to fail.

There "IS" something special about this test that sets it apart from all the others.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Smitty

The difficulty of this test may be a result of the fact that achievement three used to confer C/NCO status upon its completion.  It could have been simple quality control measures.
Former TFO, CAP
Mitchell #51,062
Juris Doctor Candidate, Touro Law Center

Pylon

Quote from: Smitty on July 31, 2005, 03:57:06 PM
The difficulty of this test may be a result of the fact that achievement three used to confer C/NCO status upon its completion.  It could have been simple quality control measures.

Could very well be -- achievement three used to earn a cadet the grade of Cadet Sergeant.  (Yes, yes, back in the day I was a C/Sgt).  This, of course, was long before we had to throw in an extra, useless achievement to the mix *cough*Feik*cough*

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on July 31, 2005, 04:44:54 PM
(Yes, yes, back in the day I was a C/Sgt)

Former C/Sgts unite! Woot!  :)
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on July 31, 2005, 04:51:17 PM

And just what did happen to the rank of CADET SERGEANT ??

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on August 01, 2005, 05:38:35 PM
Quote from: MIKE on July 31, 2005, 04:51:17 PM

And just what did happen to the rank of CADET SERGEANT ??

It morphed into what we now call the grade of CADET SENIOR AIRMAN (C/SrA).  I wanna say the change happed sometime in 1999 as this was at the same time the grades of C/SMSgt and C/CMSgt were added, as I wore C/MSgt (Six down.) to encampment in 1999 as we were transitioning to the new grades.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

But WHY did it happen??

SarDragon

It was changed to match the changes in the USAF grades that occurred around the same time (or maybe a little earlier).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret