Mandating ES participation in order to promote

Started by RiverAux, August 10, 2014, 06:26:26 PM

Private Investigator

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 12, 2014, 01:38:04 AM
Quote from: THRAWN on August 12, 2014, 01:35:29 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on August 12, 2014, 12:10:20 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 11, 2014, 03:26:59 PM
Do we really have wings in CAP with zero (0) opportunities for ES participation?

Overseas wings.

Name just one.

Ramstein, Spangdahlem,  and Osan all overseas wings that do not have ES opportunities.

Exactly how much ES happens in RIWG, VTWG, CTWG or NHWG as compared to AKWG, FLWG, TXWG or CAWG?  8)

Mitchell 1969

I think that CAP has had a lot of people who enter a support specialty and treat it as a standalone mission.  Mandating that they participate in an actual CAP mission makes sense - CAP doesn't exist to run spreadsheets, talk on radios or count canteen cups.

Having said that, it would now seem that the effort to get people to integrate into a mission responsibility has focused on only one of the three. Face it, there are those not suited to, not able to or interested in participate in ES.

So - why not spread it out? put some PD requirements in that mandate participation at an appropriate level in ONE of CAP's missions, to be chosen by the individual?

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

MajorM

Since it was PIO that kicked this off I would point out this...

The new track does not actually require any type of rating.  It doesn't require you to be a PIO.  That I could actually get behind.  Want to be a master PA? Then you must also be a PIO.  Let's face it, the PIO threshold is pathetically low (largely because ES folks don't understand it).  But that's not what they did.  Instead they added PIO related FEMA courses that aren't required for PIO. 

Why?  In their own words "to hopefully generate more interest in people becoming PIOs".

So if they want to align them, then align them.  But don't do it halfway.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2014, 01:20:19 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 12, 2014, 06:45:47 AM
By regulation OS squadrons cannot do ES.

End of story.....just can't do it.

Any attempt to game the system is violating the letter and spirit of the regulation.

The regulations disagree:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R035_004_14642E1BCED33.pdf

"7. Limitations. Overseas squadrons will be granted limited charters having all the privileges and
benefits of the regular CAP program with the following exceptions:

a. There will be no emergency services (ES) mission, although ES training is allowed if it is
within the confines of the applicable Status of Forces Agreement
. Training funds are not available
for overseas squadrons, but members of overseas units are encouraged to participate in training as
possible when in the United States with any wing or by attending scheduled activities like the
National Emergency Services Academy. ES training conducted by overseas squadrons should be
coordinated with NHQ/DO who will inform the CAP/CC; NHQ/DO validates and approves training
in Ops Quals for members assigned to NHQ units
including members of overseas squadrons."

Base on this, I assume OS units could request a non-funded mission number to do some of this training.

RiverAux

Quote from: MajorM on August 13, 2014, 02:59:17 PM
Since it was PIO that kicked this off I would point out this...

The new track does not actually require any type of rating.  It doesn't require you to be a PIO. 

Actually it does for both Senior and Master ratings. 

MajorM

Well how the heck did I miss that?  And come to think of it it may have been in the last version too.

Well I take that back then. 

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 13, 2014, 03:26:21 PM

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2014, 01:20:19 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 12, 2014, 06:45:47 AM
By regulation OS squadrons cannot do ES.

End of story.....just can't do it.

Any attempt to game the system is violating the letter and spirit of the regulation.

The regulations disagree:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R035_004_14642E1BCED33.pdf

"7. Limitations. Overseas squadrons will be granted limited charters having all the privileges and
benefits of the regular CAP program with the following exceptions:

a. There will be no emergency services (ES) mission, although ES training is allowed if it is
within the confines of the applicable Status of Forces Agreement
. Training funds are not available
for overseas squadrons, but members of overseas units are encouraged to participate in training as
possible when in the United States with any wing or by attending scheduled activities like the
National Emergency Services Academy. ES training conducted by overseas squadrons should be
coordinated with NHQ/DO who will inform the CAP/CC; NHQ/DO validates and approves training
in Ops Quals for members assigned to NHQ units
including members of overseas squadrons."

Base on this, I assume OS units could request a non-funded mission number to do some of this training.
No NHQ will not issue mission numbers. I asked.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sardak

QuoteDo we really have wings in CAP with zero (0) opportunities for ES participation?
QuoteExactly how much ES happens in RIWG, VTWG, CTWG or NHWG as compared to AKWG, FLWG, TXWG or CAWG?  8)
I know that no one really expected answers, but I'm finishing up an analysis of all SAR missions entered into WMIRS for FY13 and have real answers.

RIWG, VTWG, CTWG and NHWG combined for 1.8% of the FY13 mission total. There were 14 wings with fewer missions than CT, and 12 wings with less than NH. At the bottom with one mission each were RI, VT and PRWG.

AKWG, FLWG, TXWG and CAWG combined for 37.5%. If you include GAWG, NYWG and COWG, this gang of seven accounted for 50% of all missions for the year.

These numbers are for missing aircraft, missing person and beacon missions that were not canceled, a total of 600. Not included is one missing person mission assigned to Middle East Region (because it isn't a wing).

# of missions, # of wings, total number of missions, average missions per wing
1 to 5,     23,  79,  3

6 to 10,   13, 101,  8

11 to 20,  9, 116,  13

21 to 40,  3,   74,  25

41 to 60,  3, 151,  50

61 to 80,  1,   79,  79

Mike

Eclipse

What about DR and CD?  There's only so many hours in a week and a plane
can't be in both at once.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Also, the regs do not require a mission to be in WMIRS for training.

We will often just issue "Mission Numbers" for tabletops and such without touching WMIRS.  Will accept them for most stuff on SQTRs too...Now, can you do O-0702 Use a Signal Mirror (GTM3) on a tabletop?  Not easily, at least not to the eval standard.  But by God, I'll accept P-0101 "Demonstrate the ability to keep a log" (MSA + lots of others) for sure.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: JeffDG on August 15, 2014, 11:35:10 AM

How do you issue a mission number without using WMIRS? Does your wing have an alternate method for issuing non-funded corporate mission numbers?

As I understood it, CAPR 60-3 doesn't require training missions/sorties to be AFAMs, but I thought every wing was required to use WMIRS for all training missions, funded or non-funded.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on August 15, 2014, 11:35:10 AM

We will often just issue "Mission Numbers" for tabletops and such without touching WMIRS.  Will accept them for most stuff on SQTRs too...Now, can you do O-0702 Use a Signal Mirror (GTM3) on a tabletop?  Not easily, at least not to the eval standard.  But by God, I'll accept P-0101 "Demonstrate the ability to keep a log" (MSA + lots of others) for sure.

You don't have to have any mission number for tasks.  They can occur on a whim during a unit meeting,
or at the Starbucks if you have an SET.

You have to have a "mission" for the two participations, and it's not a "mission" unless it's in WMIRS.

EDIT: On re-read I think we said the same thing...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on August 15, 2014, 04:07:38 AM
No NHQ will not issue mission numbers. I asked.

When did you ask, and who did you ask?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

This was prior to 2006 and I asked NHQ ops direct

Storm Chaser

A lot has changed since. Maybe it's time to ask again.

lordmonar

SarDragon

Same here. I pre-dated Pat by several commanders.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret