Corporate Gray Uniform

Started by disamuel, December 28, 2009, 04:23:47 PM

disamuel

I'm looking for a little help, having already searched 39-1 and this forum...

I have been getting by with the golf shirt uniform, and BDU's when appropriate. I am attending an SLS class next month, and I received an email from the instructor stating that the UOD is "AF Style Blues, Corp Blues or Corp Grays".

I need to assemble a corporate gray uniform, so as I understand it I need a pair of medium gray pants, and an aviator shirt (short sleeve so no tie). I need to order a gray nameplate also, which hopefully will arrive on time. I have a pair of epaulets, and I think I will hold off on the ribbons for now.

My questions are:

1. Which outerwear jacket is authorized with the gray/white corporate. Do I need epaulets with it?
2. What is the difference between the gray/white corporate, and the blue/white corporate?

I know the CSU is being phased out (having read most of the 45 page thread)  but does that include the blue/white shirt/pants combo?

I meet grooming standards, and I will probably be within weight specs by the class.

Thanks in advance for any help.

SilverEagle2

1. Any civilian outer garment is authorized with the grays as it does not have a service jacket. You can get the blazer if you wish to be more formal, but it has it's own set of requirements.

2. Blue corporate is everything that the CSU is minus the coat. Don't bother at this point.

Per your last comment, I would go with the blues and use them as and incentive to stay fit!  ;)
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

arajca

1. Any civilian outerwear is authorized. No epaulets of insignia are worn on it.

2. Grey corporate - grey trousers, grey three line name plate, grey epaulet slides
    Blue corporate - AF blue trousers, blue two line name plate, blue AF epaulet slides

Forget the corporate blue, it's going away with the rest of the CSU.

RogueLeader

Yes, the White and blue combo is headed away.

If you meet the standards to wear the BDU's, you are legal to wear AF Blue uniforms, although you are under no obligation to do so.

The min. requirements for Aviator uniform is grey, 3 line nametape, and epaullets if 2d LT and above, or CAP cutouts if SMWOG (senior Member without Grade.)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

BuckeyeDEJ

I'm with SilverEagle2 — if you're going to be within weight standards by the course, get that Air Force uniform and use it as a carrot on a stick. The Air Force uniform is the most (only?) stable uniform we have, so don't worry about mass changes on a moment's notice.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

There is also the option of civilian business attire - any SLS/CLC director worth his salt should be flexible enough to allow for that accommodation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

I'd say that any member worth his salt would be in uniform. "A slothful servant must be commanded in all things."

disamuel

Ok, thank you all for your help and advice. I am placing an order with Vanguard today, and I think for now I am going to go with the gray/white combo, since I really want to lose more weight before I get a set of blues.

I have one more question regarding ribbons. In order to earn the Davis Award, the national website states that you must achieve at least a Technican Level in a specialty (which I have). But it also states that you need SLS and ECI13 which I don't have yet. Is the leadership ribbon earned after completion of the specialty rating? Can you earn the ribbon before you complete level 2?

The page that has me stumped is here:

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_university/level_ii_technical_training.cfm

Thanks in advance-

SilverEagle2

Yes, the Davis award does not have a ribbon.

If you have a tech rating in a specialty, you have earned the ribbon.

There has been some debate as to making the Leadership Ribbon the BOD Award Ribbon, but that is a different subject.

Keep in mind, once you loose the weight, the name plate, epaulets, ribbons, and badges all transfer to the blues.

All you need to transition if you have the right shoes are, blue shirt, blue pants, blue belt, and a flight cap (with device).

Good luck.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Thrashed

While the instructor may say a UOD, I'd say any CAP uniform is ok.  They can't make you wear one over the other when ALL are approved.  In my SLS, we had a mixture of everything from civilian cloths to AF blues.  Half of the people in uniform were not wearing it properly.  That's good.  SLS is for learning, and many people learned that weekend. I wish CAP could be more "uniform" when we wear uniforms, but that will never happen.

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrash on December 28, 2009, 06:10:21 PM
They can't make you wear one over the other when ALL are approved.

A Commander or activity PIC can prescribe any uniform they want for seniors, at the risk of reducing attendance, and they can certainly
prohibit any uniform they see fit.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

While the instructor may say a UOD, I'd say any CAP uniform is ok.  They can't make you wear one over the other when ALL are approved.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!  >:(

Any commander or event director can set the appropriate uniform for that event!  They can't say you will wear USAF style uniforms over CSUs or Aviator Combos.....but they can certainly say no polos, field uniforms or flight suits.

Don't start giving people bad advice to buck the authority of our course directors.  There was a BOZO at the last PCR RSC who would no follow the UOD directions of the course director.

QuoteIn my SLS, we had a mixture of everything from civilian cloths to AF blues.  Half of the people in uniform were not wearing it properly.  That's good.  SLS is for learning, and many people learned that weekend. I wish CAP could be more "uniform" when we wear uniforms, but that will never happen.

Then why did you give the "I'd say and CAP uniform is okay"?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Half of the people in uniform were not wearing it properly.  That's good.  SLS is for learning, and many people learned that weekend.

It's not good. If folks are not wearing the uniform properly to a SLS, I presume they've been in for a little while. They should have been instructed how to wear the uniform at their unit. Sorry to say, what they learned at SLS regarding uniform wear will most likely slip awya within two months, if the unit doesn't reinforce it. BTDT.

Typically, when I hold a course, I will specify the UOD AND that it be worn in accordance with CAPM 39-1 and subsequent ICLs.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Having run my share of SLSs and CLCs, I would add the the UOD should include an option for those who are limited in their uniform choices. Once I saw a posting for a training class requiring AF Blues or the CSU blue/whites. This precluded members who chose not to follow AF grooming standards. To use the common phrase from CAP Talk, UOD should allow members who happen to be fat and or fuzzy to be in uniform.

Camas

While the instructor may say a UOD, I'd say any CAP uniform is ok.  They can't make you wear one over the other when ALL are approved.  In my SLS, we had a mixture of everything from civilian cloths to AF blues.  Half of the people in uniform were not wearing it properly.
Proper uniform wear is something new members should learn as part of their Level I training. As my wing DPD I ask my course directors to insist on proper uniform wear along with shined footwear and proper haircuts for male students. Anything less than acceptable standards will not be condoned. It seems to help since the students now understand that the SLS and CLC courses are premier courses in professional development. I also ask that students stay with the AF service or aviator uniform along with CSU's (until Jan 2011). I also recognize that many new members may only have a golfshirt uniform in which case they are still most welcome to attend.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Camas on December 28, 2009, 08:30:26 PM
Proper uniform wear is something new members should learn as part of their Level I training.

Which includes the grey/white uniform.   All too often I see it worn very slovenly; I suppose many think that because it's not an AF uniform and there aren't really any restrictions on who can wear it that having it squared away isn't a real big concern.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on December 28, 2009, 11:44:44 PMWhich includes the grey/white uniform.   All too often I see it worn very slovenly; I suppose many think that because it's not an AF uniform and there aren't really any restrictions on who can wear it that having it squared away isn't a real big concern.

I've seen people that had both, and wore them in the same manner. I don't think it's a case of the type of uniform, I think it's mostly the person in it.

Fubar

At the SLS course I attended, 100% of the students (roughly 40 people) wore the polo. The instructor asked for a show of hands of who owned a uniform other than the polo and only a few hands went up. Only a few more hands went up when the instructor asked who planned on purchasing another uniform (thanks to RiverAux, I'm now aware staying polo-only is against regs - this was not mentioned at the class).

Before any "flying club" accusations start getting thrown about, there were only a couple of pilots in attendance and they all indicated they had a non-polo uniform.

Pylon

Quote from: Fubar on December 29, 2009, 12:25:47 AM
At the SLS course I attended, 100% of the students (roughly 40 people) wore the polo. The instructor asked for a show of hands of who owned a uniform other than the polo and only a few hands went up. Only a few more hands went up when the instructor asked who planned on purchasing another uniform (thanks to RiverAux, I'm now aware staying polo-only is against regs - this was not mentioned at the class).

Before any "flying club" accusations start getting thrown about, there were only a couple of pilots in attendance and they all indicated they had a non-polo uniform.

Wow, that just surprises me that 40 senior members would all show up with the polo, if it wasn't somehow suggested as the preferred uniform.   Heck, after 13 years in CAP, I don't even own a polo.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Short Field

Quote from: disamuel on December 28, 2009, 05:38:16 PM
I am placing an order with Vanguard today, and I think for now I am going to go with the gray/white combo, since I really want to lose more weight before I get a set of blues.

Good move!  We have far too many members who managed to meet the weight limits when they bought blues - and have never come close to that weight again...   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640