Beeswaxing Boots/Shoes

Started by TheShineMan, December 18, 2009, 04:16:58 PM

TheShineMan

How do you properly apply beeswax to leather?

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MSgt Van

I'm sure there'll be a ton of different methods, but here's mine:

1. I brush polish as usual with shoe polish.

2.  Gently warm boots. Placing them in front of a heater vent works ok. Don't break out the torch for this one...

3. Apply a generous layer of beeswax over the boot.

4. I rub the wax into the leather with my bare hand; the friction of me rubbing helps melt the wax into the leather.

5.  Warm the boot again to help the wax penetrate the leather.

6. After it's cool, wipe off the excess with a cloth.

7. Buff with a dense shoe brush.

lordmonar

is it not kind of redundant?  Kiwi already has wax.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on December 18, 2009, 08:59:44 PM

Not really; different waxes for different purposes.

Kiwi, with its mix of waxes and coloring agent, is used for basic protection and appearance improvement.

Straight beeswax is used primarily for waterproofing, and doesn't shine well.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on December 18, 2009, 09:08:29 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 18, 2009, 08:59:44 PM

Not really; different waxes for different purposes.

Kiwi, with its mix of waxes and coloring agent, is used for basic protection and appearance improvement.

Straight beeswax is used primarily for waterproofing, and doesn't shine well.

Copy that...thanks

TheShineMan

I ask because I've heard that beeswaxing your boots before you bull shine (or whatever) them gives off the best possible shine, and I'm all about attention to detail. But I don't know how to apply it directly because beeswax is very hard, and I'm not really satisfied with what I found on Google (to the person who posted that link, I already googled the topic long before I joined). I don't know if your supposed to melt it with a lighter, blowtorch, or if your supposed to heat the leather before you apply it in conjunction with any of those things, etc. So I'd figure I'd post on here to get some more experienced opinions before I go screwing up my boots by applying beeswax the wrong way!

lordmonar

There is attention to detail....and then there is wasting your time.

You shoes should be black and polished.

Anything else is overkill.  Use your extra time to study your leadership manual or Aerospace books.

SarDragon

^^^

Amen!

In all my years of making black shoes shiny, I've never used anything other than Kiwi, water, and a cotton applicator. Do a search on shine and SarDragon, and you'll find an excellent source of shoe shining hints. Look at all the posts; I'm not the only expert.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

The British Household Cavalry (the guys on horseback for the changing of the guard) beeswax their boots to remove creases, of course they are on horseback and not on foot, otherwise the wax would crack anyway...

Per previous posts, for our purposes, seems like a lot of work when you can achieve the same effect with good old fashioned kiwi & elbow grease.

If you are looking for some kind of 'sealant' for your shine, a couple of coats of kiwi clear polish may do the trick.

Major Lord

Many cadets are talented in the black arts (pun intended) of boot and shoe polishing. There used to be a shoeshine parlor in Los Angeles , as I recall it was called "Chambers shoe shine" or something like that, and the expert shoe shiners all learned how to shine shoes and leather gear while working as trustees in the LA County Jail. Its a great skill for those with no future or past, and having lots of elbow grease. ( Although in all fairness they are the kings of shoes and duty gear) Reasonably black and shiny is good enough. Its our hearts that kill the enemy, not our spiffy shoes.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

MSgt Van

Treating your boots with beeswax is not the way to go for a spit shine. Waterproofing only! I'd advise against using a torch or lighter around beeswax or polish.  Can you say "fire hazard"?

SarDragon

Quote from: MSgt Van on December 19, 2009, 04:52:07 PM
Treating your boots with beeswax is not the way to go for a spit shine. Waterproofing only! I'd advise against using a torch or lighter around beeswax or polish.  Can you say "fire hazard"?

Not to mention that too much heat is a really quick and easy to ruin the leather. BTDT. The 'rents were not happy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret