Blue Flight Jackets - Source?

Started by Thom, December 05, 2009, 07:57:01 PM

Thom

I'm seeking recommendations on a source for a new Blue Flight Jacket.  Vanguard only carries the Sage jackets, and I've found a variety of 'not-quite-right' substitutes at other vendors.

In particular, the most common Alpha MA-1 jackets seem to come in a too-dark Replica Blue though I've never seen one in person, or a too-green Navy Blue (which is actually Teal...), and I just can't seem to find any that are MA-1 pattern (though I suppose CWU-45/P pattern would do in a pinch...) in a medium-ish blue which approximates the old CAPMart jackets and the Blue Flightsuit.

Does anyone have a recommended source?

BTW, everyone I've seen wearing an acceptable jacket has told me they got it through CAPMart and have had it for years.  Apparently the things are durable!

Thanks!

Thom

Flying Pig

You could try  http://www.flightsuits.com/

Thats where we get all of our stuff for work.

AlphaSigOU

The current style of flight jacket that matches the sage green Nomex is the CWU-36/P (summer) and CWU-45/P (winter). Both are identical in style but the winter jacket has heavier linings. The MA-1 jacket is no longer used by USAF aircrews.

AFAIK, not many places carry Nomex flight jackets in navy blue, though they are commonly available in non-fire resistant nylon.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

O-Rex

Airrace

MSgt Van

Do y'all know if the CWU-36 style flight jacket (in the appropriate color) is approved for wear with the CAP flight suit? 39-1 shows the MA-1 style, but I couldn't find anything regarding the new style. I prefer the newer style.

Hawk200

Quote from: MSgt Van on December 08, 2009, 05:23:49 PM
Do y'all know if the CWU-36 style flight jacket (in the appropriate color) is approved for wear with the CAP flight suit? 39-1 shows the MA-1 style, but I couldn't find anything regarding the new style. I prefer the newer style.

Yes. CAPM 39-1, page 34, Figure 2-19: "The MA-1 flight jacket or the CWU-45/P or CWU-36/P Nomex flight jackets may be worn."

MIKE

That's for the green one, not the blue one.
Mike Johnston