Wear of specialty track badges

Started by RiverAux, February 07, 2009, 04:04:46 PM

Do you wear your senior member specialty track badge?

Yes
64 (75.3%)
No
21 (24.7%)

Total Members Voted: 85

RiverAux

MIKE

On service dress I wore both... I didn't wear 'em on shirts... And I have one set of BDUs with the COMM patch that I rarely wore.  Don't like the looks of the newer ones either.
Mike Johnston

JoeTomasone

I wear the Comm badge/patch, and when I get the ES I might wear that, but that would be it.   I'm also on the IT track but won't wear that one.

James Shaw

I have 5 specialty tracks. If I am working with cadets I wear the AE or CP, the PAO when doing those tasks and the Historian the majority of the time. I only wear the Safety when doing mission base work. However I dont wear the uniform that much so it is few and far between when I do wear any uniform.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

tarheel gumby

I only have one and I do wear it on my uniform, I just don't wear my ribbons that much any more. Now waay back when I was a SFO I wore all of my bling. ;D ;D

My specialty track now is historian
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

BuckeyeDEJ

Master in public affairs
Technician in communications (from when I was a cadet)
Technician in cadet programs

Guess which one I wear? Yip, the PA. And I only wear one. Any more than that and it looks silly. (Plus, I already have my command badge, my wings and a ground-team badge.)

Occasionally I wear the communications badge, but I'll never be caught dead wearing that ugly CP badge. (Only one uglier: the AE badge, which looks like a stained-glass window.) I really believe it's time to overhaul all those specialty badges (and especially the shield badges), anyway.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Hawk200

I've got ratings in Personnel, Professional Development, Cadet Programs and Safety. The only badges I have in my possession currently are the Personnel (Master), Cadet Programs (Senior), and Safety(Basic). When I was doing Senior stuff, I wore the Personnel badge, since I was doing Cadet Programs, I wore that one. Our unit has an aircraft assigned, and I haven't been doing any Safety work (I'm not a pilot), so I haven't even worn that one.

On blue shirts, I only wear one. Back when I had a service coat, I might wear two, but it was only Pro Dev and CP. Two on a service coat looks OK, but I won't do that on shirts.

I've been slotted (assigned specialty tracks in E-Services) for ES, Inspector (at a Group level), and Recruiting and Retention; but I've never gotten ratings in them. If I do, I'll decide then if I want to obtain badges.

cnitas

I have a slew of specialties.  I only wear ES or CP, depending on my mood at the time.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Laplace

I do wear the Master Logistics on the blue shirt and service coat.  I think all Wing Staff should "fly the flag" of their respective areas of responsibility.

Hawk200

Quote from: lasupplyguy on February 07, 2009, 11:21:09 PMI think all Wing Staff should "fly the flag" of their respective areas of responsibility.

I would encourage wear of the badge representing the position they're in (providing of course they're rated), but I wouldn't require it. Badges have always been optional for us, and until CAP starts issuing badges, I think it should remain that way.

dwb

I wear my IG badge on the service coat. Don't wear any on the shirt. I stopped wearing my CP badge when I got a rating for Inspector.

lordmonar

I wear one specilty badge (I got a Master in CP, Tech in AE...working on ES tech)...plus my wings and GT badge.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ThorntonOL

I currently am wearing the logistics on my blues and have a cadet program for when I'm actually doing stuff related to that.
Currently have Technician : Cadet Programs and Logistics, am working on DDR, Aerospace ED, and Communications (A little by little, primary focus is DDR while finishing up small requirements from the others.) also almost finished my GT3 SQTR and will be qualified soon.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

RiverAux

Given the predominantly "anti-bling" mood of this board in general, I'm a little bit surprised that these fairly new badges have caught on as well as they have -- at least as evidenced by this poll.

I wonder if the members who only wear golf shirts are participating in this?  They should -- they count just as much as the others. 

jb512

If they'd take the cartoon badges and change them into the silver crab claw style that the AF wears I'd probably wear mine.

Gunner C

Quote from: jaybird512 on February 09, 2009, 06:53:19 AM
If they'd take the cartoon badges and change them into the silver crab claw style that the AF wears I'd probably wear mine.

I've never been a fan of the AF AFSC badges.  They started, IIRC, with security police and went berserk from there.

swamprat86

They don't currently have a badge for my track (Plans and Programs) so I wear my CP and ES.  I don't always wear my CP badge but I always wear my ES badge.  I earned this one early on as a cadet and I am proud of it, but that was back when there were only three badges, ES, Comm, and Safety.

jimmydeanno

Perhaps another option on the poll of: "I wear one but not all."

For example, I wear the Cadet Programs badge and no other, even though I have master ratings in three different tracks.  It really is an asthetics thing for me, I think the full color enamel badges look like poo...

So, yes, I wear a badge, but not all of them.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

I have to go with Jimmydeanno on this one.  I leave the Cadet Programs badge pinned on my service dress jacket below the pocket.  I don't wear any others I've earned and I don't wear any specialty badges on the shirt.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Pylon on February 09, 2009, 03:11:23 PM
I have to go with Jimmydeanno on this one.  I leave the Cadet Programs badge pinned on my service dress jacket below the pocket.  I don't wear any others I've earned and I don't wear any specialty badges on the shirt.

I have to differ.   If I'm gonna wear it, I'll wear it wherever it's authorized.   That being said, I won't make any uniform look like it's a hodgepodge of halfhearted bulletproofing efforts -- not that you really CAN as a 1st. Lt., but still.  :)

SilverEagle2

I have 2 but only wear the one that correlates to my duty position and only on my service dress.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

CAPSGT

I typically wear my highest one (Master Admin) and whatever one corresponds most to what I'm doing at a given time.  PD if I'm working with my seniors, CP if I'm working with cadets, ES if I'm doing something ES related.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

jeders

Yes, I do wear my specialty badges, but only on my service dress. This is because when I wear short sleeve blues, I only wear my GT badge and Observer wings. Right now I wear my Tech ES and Tech CP badges, mostly because I don't have a badge for my Senior Admin rating. Starting next week I'll probably only wear CP since I'll have my command badge on also.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

dwb

Quote from: jeders on February 09, 2009, 07:10:53 PMStarting next week I'll probably only wear CP since I'll have my command badge on also.

Sucker!!!  ;D (Congrats)

jeders

Quote from: dwb on February 09, 2009, 07:35:01 PM
Quote from: jeders on February 09, 2009, 07:10:53 PMStarting next week I'll probably only wear CP since I'll have my command badge on also.

Sucker!!!  ;D (Congrats)

Thanks, I think.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jeders on February 09, 2009, 07:55:25 PM
Quote from: dwb on February 09, 2009, 07:35:01 PM

Sucker!!!  ;D (Congrats)

Thanks, I think.

Abandon all hope all ye who take command!  >:D ;D :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ol'fido

Quote from: Gunner C on February 09, 2009, 07:03:41 AM

I've never been a fan of the AF AFSC badges.  They started, IIRC, with security police and went berserk from there.

But aren't the crossed arrows of the Special Forces Branch on your signature block pretty much the same thing?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

jb512

Quote from: olefido on February 10, 2009, 12:23:16 AM

But aren't the crossed arrows of the Special Forces Branch on your signature block pretty much the same thing?

Yeah, that's kind of comparable.  The AF gives the AFSC badges for the different jobs within the AF much like the army does for the lapel insignia on the Class A.

lordmonar

???

If you want to look to first causes...you got to go back to army days...with pilot wings, jump wings, bomber wings, Nav wings, gunner wings, air assult wings.

My job in the USAF was just as important as the pilot dropping the bombs on target....why do they get a badge and I don't?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: olefido on February 10, 2009, 12:23:16 AM

How so? The army has branches, one of which used to the the Army Air Force.  Just about everything in the army is (other than operational stuff) decided at that level.  The Air Force doesn't have branches, it is one.

ol'fido

Apples....Oranges....Yadda...Yadda.....The Air Force could call them branches or it could call them career fields.  But they are still basically the same thing.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Gunner C

Quote from: olefido on February 11, 2009, 12:04:51 AM
Apples....Oranges....Yadda...Yadda.....The Air Force could call them branches or it could call them career fields.  But they are still basically the same thing.
Not even close.

Hawk200

Quote from: Gunner C on February 11, 2009, 05:04:06 AM
Quote from: olefido on February 11, 2009, 12:04:51 AM
Not even close.

Quite close, actually. An Air Force occupational badge indicates the same thing that Army branch insignia does, it's simply worn differently.

A Special Forces regimental insignia indicates that the wearer is in Career Management field 18. An Air Force enlisted medical badge (for example) indicates that the person is in a medical field, all of which AFSC's begin with a 4. Same concept, different execution.

Army "branch" insignia and Air Force occupational badges tell the same story, although not every badge authorized for wear on an Air Force uniform is related to a person's AFSC. The ones that aren't occupational specific the Army refers to as "special skill badges", jump wings being a prime example.

The only difference is that one military branch chooses to wear it only on it's service dress uniform, the other chooses to wear it on almost all of it's general wear uniforms. The Air Force simply adds the person's general skill level to it.

RogueLeader

I only wear one, out of the possible three that I am authorized(ie rated.)  I'm thinking about getting another one, but haven't decided yet.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340