Wear of Uniform on CAP's Anniversary

Started by JoeTomasone, November 22, 2008, 01:18:34 AM

JoeTomasone

WIWAC in the '80s, we were encouraged to wear our uniforms to school on 1 December in honor of CAP's anniversary - and I'm pretty sure I remember it being authorized in CAPM 39-1.   

Out of curiosity, I checked recently and could not find a reference to it.  So now I am wondering -- was it removed at some point, or were we given incorrect information that it was OK?

Anyone remember this at all?

IceNine

There is no reason that you cannot as long as your commander approves.

It's not on the list of instances where it is prohibited so its good to go
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

BillB

You were correct. The wear of uniforms was encouraged to be worn on 1 December. But it wasn't in 39-1. It was allowed in a policy letter from National in the late 1970's. Prior to that is was worn as an "unofficial policy"
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

winterg

WIWAC in the 80's it was not uncommon for cadets to wear their uniform to school about once a month.  Great recruiting tool.  Emphasis should always be on correct uniform wear.

Chappie

See my post on CAP Sabbath/Sunday in the Lobby.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

PaulR

Quote from: winterg on November 22, 2008, 09:41:54 AM
WIWAC in the 80's it was not uncommon for cadets to wear their uniform to school about once a month.  Great recruiting tool.  Emphasis should always be on correct uniform wear.

My thoughts exactly.  It would be exposure for the organization!

Always Ready

Quote from: winterg on November 22, 2008, 09:41:54 AM

IIRC, at one of my former units, cadets were encouraged to wear their Blues (regardless of the uniform of the meeting that night) to school on Tuesdays (Meeting night was Tuesday). I thought it was an outstanding idea especially since it was relatively new unit and didn't have that many members. Cadets had to be "approved" to wear their uniform beforehand. Meaning they had to prove that they could consistently wear their uniform properly. Cadets that had PE or some other physically active class that day were discouraged from wearing their uniforms...for practicality sake. Great recruiting tool and boosted a few cadets' self confidence.

BuckeyeDEJ

The first Sunday of December is Civil Air Patrol Sunday, and members have always been encouraged to wear uniforms to Sunday services. This year, that falls on 7 December.

Since 1 Dec is Monday, it might be a good lead-in for any units that have meetings on Mondays.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SilverEagle2

I remember as a Cadet wearing my uniform to school. Even made the year book as the "Nerd of the Year"  ;D with a picture of me in full service dress.

I also remember wearing it on CAP Sunday as well. I think SM's need to be encouraged to continue to do this to peak interest within their communities and youth.

Great tool.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

winterg

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for us SM's tht are in college to wear it as well?

AlphaSigOU

Back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth WIWAC I always wore service dress to school on 1 December for CAP's anniversary. In those days there was no JROTC program at my high school (there is an Army JROTC det now) so I got some questionable looks and silly questions, which I explained patiently for the most part.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JoeTomasone

So I guess the question now is whether or not this is still officially sanctioned, and if it now or ever applied to Senior Members (wearing the uniform to work?!).

KyCAP

Two issues - Weekday and Sunday to church...

For Church.
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=6535.0

"a. CAP Sunday/Sabbath. In 1972 the CAP National Board designated the first
Sunday in December as CAP Sunday. Soon after that, the Saturday before was added to the
celebration for those whose day of worship is Saturday. The weekend commemorates the fact
that CAP was chartered by the U.S. Congress on December 1, 1941. CAP Sunday/ Sabbath gives
CAP chaplains an opportunity to acquaint their churches with their ministry as CAP chaplains.
Sometimes units may choose to support their chaplain by all worshipping in the same place, and
in uniform. Other units encourage members to attend the church or synagogue of their choice in
uniform. This is an excellent opportunity to take the message of aerospace to non-CAP members.
For chaplains, it is also an excellent opening for telling their religious bodies about the
importance of moral leadership in CAP."

Page 19 http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082503085137.pdf
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing