New Achievement Award

Started by James Shaw, March 02, 2008, 08:57:31 PM

James Shaw

Well the NB just ended and they approved the Achievement Award. How long do you think it will take Vanguard to get it to market. The last ones to be approved (IC Badge and DDR Badge) took about seven months. I see this award being used alot in the coming years.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

mikeylikey

^ It was most likely a Vanguard Idea to generate money.  They can't fool us!  I would imagine they have 10,000 already produced......
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: caphistorian on March 02, 2008, 08:57:31 PM
Well the NB just ended and they approved the Achievement Award.

What's this new award?
Serving since 1987.

James Shaw

I know the group that initiated the idea and it wasnt Vanguard (though they may have sent subliminal messages). They design for it wasnt done until the day before the presentation and I would hate for any of them to read my mind.
Jim Shaw

Pylon

What is the process for designing CAP awards, ribbons and medals?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

But what does one get it for?
Serving since 1987.

James Shaw

One of the first things I do is look at how the miliatry has one designed for a specific task or accomplishment. Then I look and see how it may apply to us. We are a Humanitarian Organization and most of these awards are round. In looking at the services nonoe f them have words for their achievement awards. I then think about what the award is supposed to symbolize ie achievement, honor, service. I think about colors that represent some of these terms. People generallyy associate Kahki with the AAC of WWII and the Dark Blue for our current AF Uniform. The light blue for the air. It is a visualization thing for me.

I have been fortunate in that most of my submissions have been approved and used.
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

Quote from: Stonewall on March 02, 2008, 09:13:19 PM

That is the thing about this award. It will be the Commanders Discretion to decide. I kind of look at it as a ribbon in place of a Certificate of Appreciation.
Jim Shaw

lordmonar

When you say "commander" do you mean squadron commander?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

Just one thought: Is round the proper shape for an achievement medal?

Service medals are usually round. Commendations are hexagonal, right? So what should this really be?

Just asking.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

PHall

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on March 03, 2008, 12:21:57 AM

Service medals are usually round. Commendations are hexagonal, right? So what should this really be?

Just asking.

The AF Commendation and the AF Achievement medals are both hexagonal.

Eclipse

Ours is round:

Army:

USAF:

In fact every CAP medal with the except of the ESA and MSA are round.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: PHall on March 03, 2008, 12:27:38 AM
The AF Commendation and the AF Achievement medals are both hexagonal.

Here's the Navy Commendation:

Serving since 1987.

PHall

I stand corrected on the AF Achievement Medal shape.

(And I have been awarded one too! ::))  (Where's that D'oh smiley?)

DrDave

It's for achievements less than a Commanders Commendation, that can be awarded at a level less than the Wing Commander for Wings with Groups.

As a Group Commander, I plan on utilizing this award frequently, giving more weight to deserving accomplishments than the Certificate of Appreciation.  Plus, it will push the Commanders Commendation a bit higher in the process.

So, this has been approved by the National Board, can we start awarding it immediately?  (And wait for the ribbon which will, certainly, take some time to appear).

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

BuckeyeDEJ

Now that this ribbon and mini medal are approved...

Will we finally see an Eaker Award mini medal? And will it be round, too?

(Laughing at that last question...)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Hawk200

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on March 03, 2008, 03:30:42 AM
Now that this ribbon and mini medal are approved...

Will we finally see an Eaker Award mini medal? And will it be round, too?

(Laughing at that last question...)

From what I recall based on postings here and on a few other forums, an Eaker mini has been "proposed", "promised", "will be available shortly" several times in the last decade or so. As of yet, it has still to materialize.

_

Quote from: Stonewall on March 02, 2008, 09:13:19 PM
I don't know what the official wording for the award is but I was at the SLS and CLC where this was originally brought up that led to the proposal.  The idea was to mirror the achievement awards in the military.  As noted by many people, the commander's commendation is awarded often for actions that might not be considered by many as being at a level that warrants the comcom.  This award fills the space for an award for those that do good things but the things may not be at a level deserving a comcom. 

Gunner C

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on March 03, 2008, 12:21:57 AM

Just asking.

Service medals are, in fact, round.

Decorations are other than round:  Reference MOH, Silver Star, Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Service Specific Commendation medals, etc.  If this award is going to be a decoration, it should NOT be round. 

GC

Major Carrales

I think this is a good idea, let us hope it is not abused.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454