Main Menu

Flight Suit Wear

Started by Pylon, January 02, 2008, 03:30:54 AM

LittleIronPilot

It is just amazing to me though about how a lot of the things we talk about here come down to:

1) Money
2) Liability

What a sad, sad state of affairs we are in today. :(

lordmonar

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on January 05, 2008, 03:23:11 PM
It is just amazing to me though about how a lot of the things we talk about here come down to:

1) Money
2) Liability

What a sad, sad state of affairs we are in today. :(

Planes don't fly for free and if we get sued....what program are you going to cut to pay for the damages?

It is not a sad state of affairs but good management of our program.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eeyore

How often are we actually sued?

I would think we would hear about a large lawsuit against CAP. It seems that we do so much to prevent being sued, why not just sign away the right to sue for anything except for negligence on CAP's part. Make it a serve at your own risk deal.

JayT

Quote from: edmo1 on January 05, 2008, 08:24:27 PM

I would think we would hear about a large lawsuit against CAP. It seems that we do so much to prevent being sued, why not just sign away the right to sue for anything except for negligence on CAP's part. Make it a serve at your own risk deal.

Well, I said it before, just becasue we haven't gotten sued yet doesn't mean it can't/won't happen.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I would serve 'at my own risk.'
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

lordmonar

We get sued all the time!

We also avoid a lot of suits because our legal guys and insurance company make sure that we stay withing the bounds of what they want to cover.

As far as signing away your rights.....those papers are not worth the paper they are written on.  Little Johnny's parents sign a waiver and he goes rappelling (assuming we were allowed to do so) and the rope breaks......guess who pays?

Hawk200

Quote from: JThemann on January 05, 2008, 08:27:15 PM
I don't know about you, but I don't think I would serve 'at my own risk.'

Not to mention that, legally, we may not even be allowed to.

mikeylikey

Quote from: lordmonar on January 05, 2008, 08:30:45 PM
 Little Johnny's parents sign a waiver and he goes rappelling (assuming we were allowed to do so) and the rope breaks......guess who pays?

Umm........Little Johnny's Parents will pay?  Little Johnny surely did pay!  But his parents will most likely not get a dime, unless it can be proved that malice or intentional foul-play was involved.  Don't you watch Court TV?

CAP Carries liability insurance for lawsuits.  They pay huge amounts so that if they are sued it won't come from the Corporate Books.  However, everytime the Corp is sued, it's insurance rates go up, which is one reason we see dues go up.  Also, When CAP is on an AFAM, it can't be sued, as it is considered a part of the Fed Govt.  Didn't you learn in civics class that the Federal Government can't be sued by a citizen?
What's up monkeys?

SJFedor

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 05, 2008, 11:18:03 PM
Also, When CAP is on an AFAM, it can't be sued, as it is considered a part of the Fed Govt.  Didn't you learn in civics class that the Federal Government can't be sued by a citizen?

I thought we can still be sued on AFAMs. It's just that, as an instrumentality of the US Government, we're subject to their protection, and they'll shell out the $$ if we're found at fault (instead of our corporate policy), assuming we've been acting within our scope of practice. The whole FECA/FTCA stuff.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

lordmonar

It's just a matter of where the money comes from.

Corporate missions....we have to pay (or our insurance) AFAM it is the federal governments who pays.

T34 Flyer

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2008, 01:57:17 AM
Someone needs to read 60-1, not only are military personnel ALLOWED in our aircraft, transport and similar service to military commanders in support of their duties is a specifically authorized mission within the document.

-1 hit point to the people who denied it, and -2 for the people who asked not being familiar enough with the 60-'s to support their request.

Quote from: CAPR 60-1, 2-6. Authorized Passengers.
i. U.S. government employees to include military personnel (active, Reserve, National Guard, and civil service), Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Forest Service, Federal Aviation Administration (including FAA designated pilot examiners when conducting flight checks), United States Customs Service, United States Coast Guard, and other federal agencies, are authorized to fly on CAP aircraft while performing official duties in conjunction with the CAP. Missions authorized by this paragraph will return with all passengers back at the point of origin without intermediate stops. This paragraph is not authorization to conduct transportation missions. Missions with a sole purpose of providing transportation from point A to point B must be conducted in accordance with CAP's FAA exemption. See paragraph 2-13 and attachment 2 for additional details.

j. State, county, and local government officials are authorized to fly aboard CAP aircraft when specifically approved in advance by the CAP National Operations Center (NOC). Missions authorized by this paragraph will return with all passengers back at the point of origin without intermediate stops. This paragraph is not authorization to conduct transportation missions. Missions with a sole purpose of providing transportation from point A to point B must be conducted in accordance with CAP's FAA exemption. See paragraph 2-13 and attachment 2 for additional details.

You have to then go to the attachments for the rules on transportation, which are primarily related to FAA rules on reimbursements.  I literally just called my SD to ask where the verbiage was because we have been discussing this capability with our base commander.

There's further verbiage which is even more specific in one of the operation regs that defines mission types, I'll post it as soon as I find it. 

I do think that if I knew the regs I may have defended better.  It does seam that we look for ways to not do missions in California and through out CAP. 

As an example; The Navy Flying Club I was president of was asked to provide O rides to Sea Cadets.  Knowing the CAP stance on needing to be a Commercial Pilot, I decided to bring it up with the base JAG.  He cleared all pilots to fly Sea Cadets on O rides and laughed at the CAP stance and said that thing haven't changed much since he was a cadet.

CASH172

But things have changed.  You don't have to be a Commericial Pilot in order to fly COFs.  You don't even need it for AFROTC O-Flights anymore. 

MIKE

Mike Johnston

T34 Flyer

Quote from: CASH172 on January 06, 2008, 12:45:11 AM
But things have changed.  You don't have to be a Commercial Pilot in order to fly COFs.  You don't even need it for AFROTC O-Flights anymore. 

I know bet at the time it was the law of the land (CAP land) make the aviation/military attorneys I  know laugh and shake there heads.  "Compensated flights HA HA."

SAR-EMT1

As far as purchase... what is considered the average range for a new or used suit? Whats too good to be true and whats a ripoff?
Any  websites better then others? (Other then Ebay)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 06, 2008, 06:40:39 AM
As far as purchase... what is considered the average range for a new or used suit? Whats too good to be true and whats a ripoff?
Any  websites better then others? (Other then Ebay)

New green bags range anywhere from $125-$200; if you're paying more than $200, you're getting ripped off.
Used green bags can range anywhere from $40-$100. Condition varies; some are in pretty decent shape and there are others that are only fit to be used as garage coveralls.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Michael

Looks like I got to this one a little late...

Is not wearing a flight suit in any CAP aircraft a safety hazard from any perspective?

Bill Coons, C/Capt

jeders

Quote from: MikeTA on January 14, 2008, 11:16:13 PM
Looks like I got to this one a little late...

Is not wearing a flight suit in any CAP aircraft a safety hazard from any perspective?

Rather than derail yet another thread about the safety of flight suits, see this thread.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Pylon

You cannot legally sign away your rights.  For example, you cannot sign a contract with your employer that says you waive your right to file a non-discrimination claim, or a workers comp claim, or right to overtime.  Guess what?  Can't sign those rights away.   That's part of th ereason why liability waivers or signs that say "Not responsible for damage" or whatever never hold up legally.

In addition, CAP gets sued all the time.  They don't post it in the Public Affairs news feed, but there are current pending lawsuits as well as plenty of past ones.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: Pylon on January 15, 2008, 02:25:49 PM

You cannot legally sign away your rights.  For example, you cannot sign a contract with your employer that says you waive your right to file a non-discrimination claim, or a workers comp claim, or right to overtime.  Guess what?  Can't sign those rights away.   That's part of th ereason why liability waivers or signs that say "Not responsible for damage" or whatever never hold up legally.

In addition, CAP gets sued all the time.  They don't post it in the Public Affairs news feed, but there are current pending lawsuits as well as plenty of past ones.

Which I never understood. They are MY rights correct? MINE? So why can I not sign them away if *I* choose?

Sometimes I think we have the worst legal system in the world, not the supposed best.

ddelaney103

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on January 15, 2008, 02:39:42 PM
Quote from: Pylon on January 15, 2008, 02:25:49 PM

Which I never understood. They are MY rights correct? MINE? So why can I not sign them away if *I* choose?

Sometimes I think we have the worst legal system in the world, not the supposed best.

Because unscrupulous bosses would make people who had no financial choice sign away a bunch of rights as a condition of employment. 

We've been trying to get away from this since 1865 or so.  "Inalienable rights," you know.