My Utility Uniform Proposal

Started by Stonewall, December 29, 2007, 03:23:59 PM

Which utility/field uniform should CAP have?

Stonewall's option for everyone
72 (48%)
Keep BDUs & BBDUs
31 (20.7%)
Hold out for ABUs
47 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Flying Pig

O-Rex

Quote from: NIN on December 31, 2007, 08:48:05 PM

BTW, this was the best short-term Satin 300 image I could find:

Nice illustration of a French Foreign Legionnaire, circa 1970's. . . .

B/T/W, ABU's didn't look bad on the "Ironman" movie trailer.

Stonewall

Quote from: O-Rex on January 02, 2008, 10:13:00 PMB/T/W, ABU's didn't look bad on the "Ironman" movie trailer.

I don't think ABUs look bad at all.  In fact, I think they look pretty good.  However, their design is no different than BDUs and I like BDUs too.  One day, when we start our transition into ABUs, we will, once again, have 2 separate uniforms segregating our force because some won't be allowed to wear the ABUs due to their weight or facial hair.  Additionally, ABUs are more form than function, in my opinion.  They were designed for the arm-chair warrior, not the guy on the ground, in the bush, on the sand, or looking for a lost child in the swamplands of Florida.  YMMV.
Serving since 1987.

baronet68

Quote from: SARMedTech on January 02, 2008, 11:02:28 AMI say:

1. KBUs
2. AF style service dress with blue pants and white shirt
3. Green nomex as appropriate
4. Everyone wears the same "mess dress"

+1

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

star1151

I like it as well...minus the strange rank insignia, which seems to have already been discussed.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on January 02, 2008, 11:09:08 PM
They were designed for the arm-chair warrior, not the guy on the ground, in the bush, on the sand, or looking for a lost child in the swamplands of Florida.  YMMV.

You hit that straight on!  They took BDU's and modified them in color and washability. 

I would take ACU's or MARPAT's over ABU's anyday!  The AF should have just stuck with BDU's but added the wash and wear feature to them. 

In fact, I would take the KBU's over ABU's easily.   
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

KBU:  28 (50.9%)
Keep BDUs & BBDUs:  11 (20%)
Hold out for ABUs:  15 (27.3%)
Tell us your idea:  1 (1.8%)

Well, after 55 votes, those are the results.  Not going to close the poll, in case anyone else wants to cast their vote.

I emailed several other CAPers, some with 30+ years experience in CAP, both in CP and ES, and they too agree that it would be a good looking uniform for everyone to wear as well as it's practical application to emergency services.  Of course, my circle of friends in CAP, past and present, are mostly like-minded so my email survey to them was a bit biased.  YMMV.

Even with the 3 other options added together, the KBU still beat them out.  Interesting.  I wonder how people across CAP in general would respond to this poll.  We'll never know....
Serving since 1987.

Dragoon

I must say, I'm surprised by the poll - you'd think everyone would want to stay USAF.

You didn't have an option for "just BBDUs."  I wonder if that would have scored as highly.  Or do folks prefer a more warrior color, perhaps?  Or is there some other reason?

Stonewall

BTW, here is an image of the KBU pants, but in khaki.  It's easier to see the features in the khaki than in OD.

Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Dragoon on January 04, 2008, 03:31:17 PM
I must say, I'm surprised by the poll - you'd think everyone would want to stay USAF.

You didn't have an option for "just BBDUs."  I wonder if that would have scored as highly.  Or do folks prefer a more warrior color, perhaps?  Or is there some other reason?

Meh, if I would have thought of it I would have put a "BBDU only" option, but not enough people would come back and change their vote to make it a realistic count.

I would never vote for BBDUs only.  I would love for us to all be in ABUs when they trickle down, but the uniform itself is not comfortable or practical for field work.  It's extremely heavy and is identical to BDUs as far as function, except for the pen inserts in the arm.  By heavy, I mean, I was shocked when I tried it on at my unit.  First thing I thought of was wearing body armor and equipment totalling like 50 lbs in 130 temps in the sand.  Everyone I know that has a job bringing them to the field cuts out the "map pocket" that adds to the thickness of the blouse.

I don't think BBDUs look awful, I just don't think they're the right answer for CAP.  Dan Delaney had an excellent idea in another thread that, instead of BBDUs, make a greenish/grayish uniform that would match closer to the ABU color scheme.  I'd be for all of us to wear that before an all BBDU CAP force.  YMMV.
Serving since 1987.

Dragoon

I think the idea of grey ABUS makes sense if the goal is two uniforms - after all, making the corporate match the USAF as closely as possible is a very good thing in my book.

But if the intent is to put EVERYONE into a single utility suit, then it seems we should pick the color that works best for us.  I'm not sure that's dark blue, but I'm also not sure it's OD.  Unless we feel that looking more like field soldiers is a good recruiting tool for the senior ranks.

Stonewall

Quote from: Dragoon on January 04, 2008, 04:39:03 PMI'm not sure that's dark blue, but I'm also not sure it's OD.  Unless we feel that looking more like field soldiers is a good recruiting tool for the senior ranks.

Well, BDUs do that moreso than a solid OD color.  So in my opinion, the solid OD would lessen the "field soldier" look.  But BBDUs looks too unlike a military uniform.  And yes, I think a good looking military uniform does draw in members, seniors and cadets alike.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

OD reminds me of he who's name shall not be spoken (No, not him, the other one).
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Dad2-4

Quote from: Stonewall on December 29, 2007, 06:21:43 PMTo me, it's discriminatory towards the guys with a some extra poundage and fuzzies.
Hey, I resemble that remark. While some of my cadets are trying to get me to shave, I currently have no utility uniform because I haven't bought BBDUs since I grew the beard. My BDUs hang in the closet if I do shave. I'm not big fan of OD, though it does look more military than BBDU. And I also promote the "less is more" idea with the exception of the flag. Keep that one patch.

Stonewall

For those interested in holding out for the ABU, here is an Air Force authorized seller of the ABU and it's accoutraments.

FYI...no more buying cheap knock-off boots like the $25 Korean jungle boots or surplus leather boots.   The only boot required with the ABU is the sage green ones and the cheapest are the hot weather set at $114.  For you folks up north, look at spending about $150, just for boots.

http://65.108.202.216/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=1-AFABU

Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ I will hold out until they start making their way to the base thrift shop or the airmans attic.  Then pick a pair up and throw some Dr Scholls odor eaters in them and we are good to go!
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Some more info on the KBU (TRU) uniform

Cost for each, top and bottom is $39.99.  If Scamguard Vanguard got a contract with Tru-Spec, we could ultimately knock off as much as 20% of the price.  Keep in mind, that a complete set of ABUs is a few bucks more than the the KBU set up, not including the $100+ boots.

Click for larger image

Click for larger image

Look, it even looks good tucked in...not that I'm advocating that.

Serving since 1987.

sfdefender

This is the best idea I have seen yet concerning the phase out of the BDU...and if the Tru-Spec/Vanguard alliance was as easily accomplished as suggested it may even be possible to have them made available in a Nomex variant.  Can you imagine? One uniform comes in and take the place of two...and even possibly three if you have a nomex one? 

This just makes good sense, and it looks great in OD. Almost reminiscent of years past with the OD Jungles....

Somebody give Kirt a medal for this. :clap:

MATTHEW J BREWER
Capt, USCAP
PCR-OR-065

RiverAux

If you asked the question a different way, you might get radically different answers.  Look at this poll done a year ago, which showed strong support among CAPTalk members for maintaining our current mix of AF-style, corporate, etc. 
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1385.0

The strongest supported option other than our current situation was some variation of an AF-style only uniform option.  A "CAP uniform" only option only had 14% support. 

Stonewall

Yes, but unlike your poll, mine offers a new option, something that the voters can see; something tangible.  Not to mention, mine is specific to the utility uniform, not an across the board poll regarding all CAP uniforms.

Perhaps your poll results would be different if you suggested something specific.  I don't think our two polls have anything to do with one another.

I do understand that a lot of people will not like my unofficial proposal, I'm okay with that.  I'm not heart broken and I'm not losing sleep.  It was almost fun throwing it out there.  However, I do think we have a broken system.  Some say "why try to fix something that ain't broke", well my personal opinion is that it is broken and it will remain as such until we have one service uniform, one utility uniform and one flight uniform for every member to wear.

Fact is, I offered a poll with a picture of something new.  More than half of the votes are in favor of my prototype utility uniform.  I'm actually surprised that it did so well.  I really expected a lot more responses like yours, RiverAux.  And I can appreciate yours and everyone else's opinions.  It's cool, no biggie.  I truly think I have a good idea and I do believe it can work.  That said, I know it won't go any further than this discussion/poll.  So don't worry, you won't have to wear the KBU.
Serving since 1987.