Main Menu

BOOTS

Started by addo1, August 16, 2007, 10:30:39 PM

addo1

Would the Jungle boots or the Combat boots be better?   ???
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

JC004

Never liked jungle boots, but I do like cloth uppers.  I wear the Infantry Combat Boot (the one with Gore-Tex).

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 16, 2007, 10:36:42 PM
Never liked jungle boots, but I do like cloth uppers.  I wear the Infantry Combat Boot (the one with Gore-Tex).
The Jungle Boots are OK, they will get cold in the winter though.  I too have the Infantry Combat boots as well, and they are more comfortable.

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

People will tell you what the like best based on their own experience.

As a cadet, I wore jungle boots, American made jungle boots; the issued kind.  Well, they aren't issued anymore so the best jungles you can find may be Altamas.  You live in TX so jungles would actually be good for you.

You can't go wrong with basic issue leather boots.  Probably easy to find too.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Don't be afraid to spend some $$ on boots either!  I am not saying go buy the most expensive but be cautious of those that are $15.99  Also, watch out for "fancy" tread.  They advertise things like tiger tread or some other neat rubber tread.  Best to go with DSCP issue or approved.  They can usually be "trusted" for performance and wear and tear. 

Just my opinion.  Like said above, all based on my experience.
What's up monkeys?

Becks

Depends, here in SC I like my altama ripple sole jungles, but when I lived up north I preferred all leather Bates...all about climate.

BBATW

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 17, 2007, 02:31:20 AM
Don't be afraid to spend some $$ on boots either!

I agree, but remember, if you're just a small fry guy and haven't hit your growth spurt yet, you may buy a $50 pair of boots and out grow them in a 6 months.
Serving since 1987.

Ford73Diesel

I used to wear jungle boots. They were comfortable in the summer becuase of the  vents. Cold in the Ohio winter.

Right now I wear boots with the zippers up th side. Easy to take on and off.

CASH172

I would prefer the combat boots just cause of their ability to keep water out.  Jungle boots are not the best boots when it rains because of the vents.  I've had cadets with jungle boots with all sorts of problems when it rains. 

Stonewall

Jungle boots are designed for use in jungle warfare or in hot, wet and humid environments, where a standard leather combat boot would be uncomfortable or unsuitable to wear. Jungle boots have vent holes in the instep to aid in ventilation and drainage of moisture.

That was from Wikipedia...  ;D

If you plan on getting your feet wet in a hot weather enviornment, like we do in FL, then perhaps jungle boots are a good idea.  The vents help out with airing out your feet whereas standard combat boots would just sit there and let your feet stay wet.

Most people in CAP don't need jungle boots.  If you're not going to the field, jungle boots and their vents are fine.  If your feet get real hot like mine, field or no field, jungle boots are thing to have.

But as I've said, you can't go wrong in CAP with your typical run of the mill basic all leather combat boot.
Serving since 1987.

adamblank

The most comfortable boot I have ever worn is the Oakley SI assault boot.  It is hands down the most comfortable boot I have owned.  There of course is a catch, the price.  They cost about 185 a pair.  I use them everyday so it isn't as bad of an investment.  They are worth considering if you have flat feet or your feet get tired or sore easily and you plan on staying in.

Adam
Adam Brandao

O-Rex

For ground-pounding, I love my Belleville ICB's

For flying, standard USAF/USN-issue all-leather Addison or Cove

Stonewall

Quote from: adamblank on August 17, 2007, 07:59:43 AM
The most comfortable boot I have ever worn is the Oakley SI assault boot.  It is hands down the most comfortable boot I have owned.  There of course is a catch, the price.  They cost about 185 a pair.  I use them everyday so it isn't as bad of an investment.  They are worth considering if you have flat feet or your feet get tired or sore easily and you plan on staying in.

+1 for Oakly SI boots.  I wear them every day for work as well.  I wear the 6" pair and they fit like running shoes.  Just not sure how well they'd do in the field...the field field, not walking around the block.  They're a softer leather and for CAP, they don't really shine too well.

For a police department though, they work great.
Serving since 1987.

culpies

I bought a pair of the Oakley SI boots for PJ school for many of the same reasons you guys list.  They were great day to day around base as we ran everyehwere, and like you said they are running shows in disguise.  I will caution you however that at the end of 6 months of regular wear they were held together with nothing but shoe goo and duct tape.  While I'll admit that we weren't the nicest to our footwear, people with more standard style boots were having no such breakdowns.  At the full list price of $185 I say they aren't worth it.  If you can get a pro deal with them they come down a lot and might be worth it for light regular wear.  They do look dumb in garrison BDU's too (not that I didn't wear them that way too)
Just my 2 cents

Quote from: Stonewall on August 17, 2007, 03:02:09 PM

+1 for Oakly SI boots.  I wear them every day for work as well.  I wear the 6" pair and they fit like running shoes.  Just not sure how well they'd do in the field...the field field, not walking around the block.  They're a softer leather and for CAP, they don't really shine too well.

For a police department though, they work great.

adamblank

I would say the boots show a good amount of wear and I have had them about 15 months.  This is only with a light amount of field work but wearing them 50 hours a week or so.  I have both the 6 and 8 inch pairs.  The 8" seem a little more durable and they definitely survived unscathed a week of TAC officer duties at encampment this year.  If they are a boot you are interested in visit usstandardissue.com to see if you qualify, if you do they are only a little over 100 dollars.

Adam
Adam Brandao

caplegalnc

One of the best boots, but hardest to find, are German Infantry boots.  They are good for three seasons, a little hot for summer though.  The smooth side out leather takes a good shine and the padding around the ankle is a plus.

Ron
Chief Justice
NC-019

SKYKING607

Try:

http://www.botachtactical.com

They usually have boots on clearance.  Stick to "issue" items or at the bare minimum a well known brand name.

CAWG Career Captain

dogboy

California Wing requires all-leather boots for mission flying.

I don't do much walking so I buy cheap boots
http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-5094.asp

Galaxy Army and Navy also has good cheap BDUs

Stonewall

Quote from: SKYKING607 on August 17, 2007, 06:52:20 PM
Try:

http://www.botachtactical.com

Botach does have a lot of good deals, on all gear.  No doubt about it.  but CALL THEM FIRST!  If they don't have something in stock, you'll never hear from them again, ever.

I've made 5 orders from them in the past year or so, two orders went MIA.  Even got the standard email saying it was all good.  Some friends had this happen too.  But if it's in stock, you'll get it and you'll get it fast, at a good price.  BUT CALL FIRST!
Serving since 1987.

addo1

OK, now is speed lace, full lace, or regular lace better???  I'm confused.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010