Main Menu

BOOTS

Started by addo1, August 16, 2007, 10:30:39 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 21, 2007, 03:02:17 PM
What regulation laces? We were issued Altama combat boots with speed laces in basic. We tucked the extra into the boot to keep the loops and ends from getting caught in... well, there's nothing they can get caught in during basic, but in a/d they can, so it's good practice. Besides... attention to detail.

He was talking about "Regular" laces, not "Regulation Laces." Regular laces being those that aren't "speed laces."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

I prefer my ICBs to the older style issue speed lace boots.  The soles are much more cushiony and they have Gore-Tex.  I think I paid under 90 for 'em as seconds.  Now I just need to find some with safety toes for cheap.
Mike Johnston

afgeo4

Safety toe?  Have the cadets been expressing their feelings for you?  >:D
GEORGE LURYE

MIKE

Coast Guard requires them. 
Mike Johnston

addo1

What is safety toe??   ???
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

MIKE

A steel or composite toe cap inside the boot that protects your toes.  Useful if you might drop something heavy on your feet, or if you will be working on or around large steel U.S. Coast Guard vessels.
Mike Johnston

addo1

Is safety toe a lot more expensive??
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

MIKE

It depends... It does add to the cost of the boots I want though.
Mike Johnston

afgeo4

Quote from: MIKE on August 21, 2007, 08:53:55 PM
A steel or composite toe cap inside the boot that protects your toes.  Useful if you might drop something heavy on your feet, or if you will be working on or around large steel U.S. Coast Guard vessels.
Yes, definitely useful if someone drops a large steel U.S. Coast Guard vessel on your feet.
GEORGE LURYE

floridacyclist

Quote from: Stonewall on August 17, 2007, 02:47:36 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on August 17, 2007, 02:31:20 AM
Don't be afraid to spend some $$ on boots either!
I agree, but remember, if you're just a small fry guy and haven't hit your growth spurt yet, you may buy a $50 pair of boots and out grow them in a 6 months.
That's why I recommend used Army-issue boots to our cadets. $20.00 gets you a shinable pair of boots from the surplus store with a few years left on them.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Stonewall

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 22, 2007, 05:39:50 PMThat's why I recommend used Army-issue boots to our cadets. $20.00 gets you a shinable pair of boots from the surplus store with a few years left on them.

Dern it, Cap'n, that is about the best suggestion I've seen on this 3-page discussion.  And something so commonly done I don't know why me or someone else didn't already suggest it. 

Absolutely do this!  If you've got a surplus store near you, you can get 3 pair of decent used boots for the price of a brand new pair.  You can even get your summer and winter pair of boots (jungles and maybe goretex).

Doint push-ups for not mentioning it earlier...
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Quote from: Stonewall on August 22, 2007, 05:44:46 PM
Quote from: floridacyclist on August 22, 2007, 05:39:50 PMThat's why I recommend used Army-issue boots to our cadets. $20.00 gets you a shinable pair of boots from the surplus store with a few years left on them.

Dern it, Cap'n, that is about the best suggestion I've seen on this 3-page discussion.  And something so commonly done I don't know why me or someone else didn't already suggest it. 

Absolutely do this!  If you've got a surplus store near you, you can get 3 pairs of decent used boots for the price of a brand new pair.  You can even get your summer and winter pair of boots (jungles and maybe goretex).

Doint push-ups for not mentioning it earlier...

Stonewall!!  You're increasing the number of times I have to click on all these threads to keep up!  You're killing me here...

afgeo4

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 22, 2007, 05:39:50 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on August 17, 2007, 02:47:36 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on August 17, 2007, 02:31:20 AM
Don't be afraid to spend some $$ on boots either!
I agree, but remember, if you're just a small fry guy and haven't hit your growth spurt yet, you may buy a $50 pair of boots and out grow them in a 6 months.
That's why I recommend used Army-issue boots to our cadets. $20.00 gets you a shinable pair of boots from the surplus store with a few years left on them.

Many of those boots aren't serviceable and require new soles which can cost quite a bit and many wont take a shine anymore.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 22, 2007, 07:55:49 PMMany of those boots aren't serviceable and require new soles which can cost quite a bit and many wont take a shine anymore.

Maybe at a NYC surplus store, but most (not all) Army/Navy's I've been to, especially around a good sized military base, have a decent selection of boots to choose from that are serviceable.
Serving since 1987.

afgeo4

Quote from: Stonewall on August 22, 2007, 08:57:24 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on August 22, 2007, 07:55:49 PMMany of those boots aren't serviceable and require new soles which can cost quite a bit and many wont take a shine anymore.

Maybe at a NYC surplus store, but most (not all) Army/Navy's I've been to, especially around a good sized military base, have a decent selection of boots to choose from that are serviceable.
I haven't seen any in NYC. I was talking about stores around Ft. Dix/McGuire AFB/Lakehurst NAES (g-d that's tiring to write!)
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

For addo1, the original poster.  I did a quick search of your area and found

Texas Army Navy Store
2600 W Mockingbird Ln
Dallas, TX 75235
Phone: (214) 902-9102

Call and see what they have to say about their boot selection.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 22, 2007, 09:06:36 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on August 22, 2007, 08:57:24 PM

I haven't seen any in NYC. I was talking about stores around Ft. Dix/McGuire AFB/Lakehurst NAES (g-d that's tiring to write!)

The thrift store at McGuire had a large selection of boots about a year ago.  I have not been in for, well, almost a year.  I would reccomend making a quick stop if you are in teh area.  I got 2 gortex jackets, a pair of gortex pants, brand new blue pants and a buckle for about $75.00  PLUS the money goes to support the family organizations (FRG) at DIX/McGuire. 
What's up monkeys?

addo1

Quote from: Stonewall on August 22, 2007, 09:08:41 PM
For addo1, the original poster.  I did a quick search of your area and found

Texas Army Navy Store
2600 W Mockingbird Ln
Dallas, TX 75235
Phone: (214) 902-9102

Call and see what they have to say about their boot selection.

Thanks, I will!!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

CAP006

I like jungle boots better cause they are easy to break in to, easy to polish, and have air pockets to air out the feet unlike the combat boots. Can I get an Amen in the house?!? ???
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

afgeo4

Quote from: CAP006 on August 23, 2007, 04:22:36 PM
I like jungle boots better cause they are easy to break in to, easy to polish, and have air pockets to air out the feet unlike the combat boots. Can I get an Amen in the house?!? ???

You obviously don't live in the snow belt lol.
GEORGE LURYE