Main Menu

BOOTS

Started by addo1, August 16, 2007, 10:30:39 PM

jimmydeanno

Speed laces are the type that have an external holder attached to the leather.  Regular laces are the type where the lace hole is punched through the leather itself.

Speed laces are much faster to put on and take off, (so are the boots with the zippers), because you don't need to unlace them each time.

Regular laces IMO, look good, but are a pain to put on and take off each time.

I hope that's the question you were asking... ???
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Also, if the boot laces are long enough you can knot the ends so they don't come unlaced when you loosen them, and you just grab the knots and pull to tighten 'em.
Mike Johnston

addo1

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 20, 2007, 05:57:57 PM
Speed laces are the type that have an external holder attached to the leather.  Regular laces are the type where the lace hole is punched through the leather itself.

Speed laces are much faster to put on and take off, (so are the boots with the zippers), because you don't need to unlace them each time.

Regular laces IMO, look good, but are a pain to put on and take off each time.

I hope that's the question you were asking... ???

Pretty much; So, which one would you reccomend according to quality and price??
                                                   -Thanks-
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

afgeo4

I'd recommend the Altama standard combat boot for a cadet as they will work and work for you in all situations. My 2 issued pair of those lasted me all the way through hot and dry BMT in San Antonio to moderate and humid 18 weeks of tech school in Biloxi. They're the best bang for the buck I think. Speed laces, of course.

The ultimate in boots depends on your geographical location. Here in NYC, I found Ft. Lewis Go-Devils by Dannen to be the best 3 out of 4 seasons boot. They're all leather and gore-tex with great support and they're TOUGH. For summer I had a pair of Marauders with standard sole. A great looking boot since everything on it that's leather is pattened leather, so it shines like a mirror. I got those because my Military Training Instructor had them in basic and boy... those things sparkled.

The best compromise to those has been mentioned... the Combat Infantry Boot in full leather. Ripple sole is best if you pound pavement more often than dirt. Regular sole is good for outdoor use.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 20, 2007, 06:29:36 PM
I found Ft. Lewis Go-Devils by Dannen...

That's Danner.  Dannen (Danon) makes yogurt...  ;D

I agree with afgeo4, your standard issue black, all leather boot will be nothing more and nothing less than you need.  Jungle boots, gore-tex, desert, and all those others are great for specific enviornments and missions, but for a cadet.  I wouldn't suggest anything different than plain combat boots.  If you were in Florida or Texax, I may suggest black jungle boots as a "basic" boot because you'll probably never need to worry too much about the cold, but still, basic black leather combat boots is all you need.
Serving since 1987.

afgeo4

lol leave me alone... it's lunch time! :-[
GEORGE LURYE

addo1

Is www.propper.com a good site to buy boots off of??
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Stonewall

Did you even look at that site?  I don't think they sell boots.  So to answer your question, no, it would be a terrible place to buy boots from.
Serving since 1987.

addo1

Sorry, someone told me that they did.  You are right, that would be a terrible place to buy boots off of...
Quote from: Stonewall on August 20, 2007, 09:33:56 PM
Did you even look at that site?  I don't think they sell boots.  So to answer your question, no, it would be a terrible place to buy boots from.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Stonewall

Here, dude.  I even checked out 3 places and US Cavalry was the cheapest.

Here are standard issue black combat boots.  They'll last you're entire cadet career unless you grow out of them.  I'd get them 1 size too big for room to grow.  You can wear thick socks.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=7866&TabID=1&CatID=6
Serving since 1987.

addo1

Thanks, that site has much nicer boots than  :P propper!!!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

RogueLeader

I prefer speed lace.  True they are longer than my ex's hair, but I don't have to spend five minutes lacing my boots every time I put them on. Reg laces are time consuming, and full are ok, take some time to lace, but not a whole lot extra to wrap around.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ELTHunter

I have a pair of Altama leather mil spec combat boots that I wear for meetings.  I have pretty plat feet, and also over pronate, so I try not to wear them if I'm going to be walking a lot, or unless it's going to be cold & wet.  I wore them on a 25 mile hike not long after I got them and I couldn't walk right for days later.

I have a pair of Magnum's that I wear when it's not going to be cold.

I've been wanting a good pair of waterproof boots for fall/winter.  Can't decide weather to go with insulated or non insulated, or full leather, or gore tex.  Someone told me once that two things you shouldn't skimp on is a bed and footwear.  Still, I'm cheap and anything much over $100 kills me to buy cause I won't wear them every day.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

ELTHunter

I might add that I have become pretty creative while trying not to get my feet wet when having to cross a creek in my Magnums in cold weather.  The cadets find this very amusing.  But then again, they see a creek, they think the first thing they need to do is stick their boots in it.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170

Stonewall

There's always Goretex socks.  I've worn them several times, especially when it was getting cold out and I was still wearing jungle boots.

http://www.botac.com/rocgorsoc.html
Serving since 1987.

ELTHunter

I've always wondered if those worked for any length of time.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170

Stonewall

I never wore them for more than a day, but they do work.  They're no different than "waterproof" boots.  They're waterproof as long as you don't go in past the top of the sock/boot.

When I first started doing SAR in an area where it snowed and all I had were jungle boots (from Florida), those goretex socks were a life saver until I could afford a pair of Matterhorns.

My vote:  +1 for at least one set of goretex socks to be in your 72hr gear for winter operations.
Serving since 1987.

Sgt. Savage

Comfort!!!

If your boots hurt your feet, you won't be able to perform. Buy the least expensive, most comfortable boot you can get. Don't drop too much coin, you'll grow out of them. GI Issue Combat Boots, Like The Altima, may be your most economical buy.

afgeo4

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 21, 2007, 02:13:09 AM
I prefer speed lace.  True they are longer than my ex's hair, but I don't have to spend five minutes lacing my boots every time I put them on. Reg laces are time consuming, and full are ok, take some time to lace, but not a whole lot extra to wrap around.

What regulation laces? We were issued Altama combat boots with speed laces in basic. We tucked the extra into the boot to keep the loops and ends from getting caught in... well, there's nothing they can get caught in during basic, but in a/d they can, so it's good practice. Besides... attention to detail.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: ELTHunter on August 21, 2007, 02:25:48 AM
I have a pair of Altama leather mil spec combat boots that I wear for meetings.  I have pretty plat feet, and also over pronate, so I try not to wear them if I'm going to be walking a lot, or unless it's going to be cold & wet.  I wore them on a 25 mile hike not long after I got them and I couldn't walk right for days later.

I have a pair of Magnum's that I wear when it's not going to be cold.

I've been wanting a good pair of waterproof boots for fall/winter.  Can't decide weather to go with insulated or non insulated, or full leather, or gore tex.  Someone told me once that two things you shouldn't skimp on is a bed and footwear.  Still, I'm cheap and anything much over $100 kills me to buy cause I won't wear them every day.
Here's a good pair and with a good discount
http://www.lapolicegear.com/mame10walein.html
GEORGE LURYE