ABU's With Samples of CAP Insignia

Started by LtCol White, August 03, 2007, 03:18:13 PM

jb512

Quote from: LtCol White on August 08, 2007, 01:55:45 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on August 07, 2007, 08:53:24 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on August 07, 2007, 12:13:37 AM
Having seen them in person, there is OD in the camo pattern. Even took one of the current USAF nametapes and placed in on the shirt and it does work.

Now, when doing the OD with blue letters, the rank has to match(any white rank must be blue and the gold would need to  be toned down to the subdued version as well). You can't mix those 2. When using the white letters, you can still use the bright rank on the OD background.

That's kinda what I was getting at before about changing the colors of the rank insignia to match.  However, the whole reason we're not subdued now is because they want us different than the RM.

I don't think we're going to get away with using many darker shades because of the resemblance to the RM.  I would love for them to find us something different than smurf blue and white though and this would be an excellent opportunity to get that done when we switch over.

I don't think USAF would be opposed to the subdued based on converstions I have had with the appropriate USAF personnel. They're more interested in a visible difference from what USAF will be currently wearing. So, Blue on OD or White on OD is same rank and specialty insignia is a possibility.

That would be great then...  much better than our outdated current style.

SAR-EMT1

Depends on if its midnight blue or ultramarine.

Midnight blue on OD is something I can accept.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

How about just going with the ABU material and white letters. 
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

OK, using a set of ABU's I received, I have put together some actual examples using a mixture of insignia I was able to come up with. Comments?

Current CAP Insignia

Current USAF subdued as on BDU's

White on green background
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

MIKE

Out of the three, I'd pick the first one... Since you don't have option four depicted.  Flag bue on ABU/Gray.
Mike Johnston

LtCol White

Yeah, had to work with what I was able to piece together. Might try having some tapes made up in different colors to lay them out on it as well and I'll post those pics
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

afgeo4

What about doing white thread on existing ABU tapes instead of flag blue? Even more distinct than ultramarine. Also, current gold/white thread for grade insignia on tan backing and white thread for badges on tan backing. No patches authorized. Can someone do that as a sample?
GEORGE LURYE

LtCol White

Well I was working with what existed and that I had to actually place on the uniform. If I can get some samples otherwise I'll be happy to place them and photograph them for posting.

Although a bit hard to see in the photo, the white on OD green looks really good
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

RogueLeader

I definitely like the second and third one.  I could go with either.  I just hope that we could get NHQ and AF to accept it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JayT

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 30, 2007, 05:39:28 PM
I definitely like the second and third one.  I could go with either.  I just hope that we could get NHQ and AF to accept it.

I think you're fooling yourself if you believe we're getting anything other then white on blue.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RogueLeader

If you believe that you can not change something, then you will not; but if you have the belief that what you want is desirable, all kinds of doors will open.  Besides, I never said it was likely, or that it would be easy; I did say that is what I would like.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LtCol White

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 30, 2007, 06:07:30 PM
If you believe that you can not change something, then you will not; but if you have the belief that what you want is desirable, all kinds of doors will open.  Besides, I never said it was likely, or that it would be easy; I did say that is what I would like.

You should know by now that some people are always negative
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

jb512

I like the second and third also.  I'm with the group who believes this is the perfect time to update our colors with the uniform change.  All we can do is try... to not look like smurfs.

JayT

I apologize for that post, it came a little harsher then I intended to.

Also, I like the white on blue, so I'm kinda protective of it.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

cnitas

I like the White on Green.
Actually I think we should use whatever the Air Force uses...afterall isn't that how we got the colors we use now with OD Fatigues?  

The whole idea that we wear an Air Force uniform is a crock.  We wear a uniform that looks similar to the Air Force - Blue pants, shirt, and hat. The similarity stops there.
Our BDUs are as much an Army uniform as they are an Air Force uniform.

We should push to be allowed to wear THE Air Force uniform as laid out in AFIs, a right earned by our forefathers in combat.  Otherwise, we should go totally corporate and stop pretending we wear the same outfit.

::end rant::
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

afgeo4

Quote from: cnitas on August 30, 2007, 06:49:46 PM
Actually I think we should use whatever the Air Force uses...afterall isn't that how we got the colors we use now with OD Fatigues?  

The whole idea that we wear an Air Force uniform is a crock.  We wear a uniform that looks similar to the Air Force - Blue pants, shirt, and hat. The similarity stops there.

We should push to be allowed to wear THE Air Force uniform as laid out in AFIs, a right earned by our forefathers in combat.  Otherwise, we should go totally corporate and stop pretending we wear the same outfit.

No one's pretending anything. We wear a USAF style uniform, not a USAF uniform. That's how it's stated in the regs, that's how we all know it to be. Everyone knows it's not the same uniform because we aren't the same organization.

Our uniform changes with the Air Force's, not the Army's so your theory of our uniform being as much Army as Air Force isn't right. BDU's may have been the same for all services, but that in no way means we go wherever the Army goes with their uniforms. The Army is wearing the Army Combat Uniform (ACU). The Air Force started a transition ot the Airman Battle Uniform (ABU). CAP already has Air Force approval (probably includes nametapes) for wear of ABU when available, but NHQ are waiting for a good time to start the switch.
GEORGE LURYE

RogueLeader

Quote from: cnitas on August 30, 2007, 06:49:46 PM

The whole idea that we wear an Air Force uniform is a crock.  We wear a uniform that looks similar to the Air Force - Blue pants, shirt, and hat. The similarity stops there.

We should push to be allowed to wear THE Air Force uniform as laid out in AFIs, a right earned by our forefathers in combat.  Otherwise, we should go totally corporate and stop pretending we wear the same outfit.

Guess we type at the same time huh. . . ;D

I would love to have the same colors that the AF have.  We will need to have distinctive insignia and such as to avoid PCA rules.  Even our "combat" forefathers never wore the exact same uniform.  They were different as well.  This is a continuation of what it has been.  We do not have the RIGHT to wear any uniform.  It is a privilege to wear a uniform.  The AF tells us what we wear on their uniforms.  And note that all CAPR's denote "AF Style" uniforms, not "AF" uniforms.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

afgeo4

Well I was just thinking that the current AF nametapes for ABUs would look great with U.S. Civil Air Patrol in white thread. It would stand out very well and would decrease prices due to use of the same name/branch tapes as the Air Force and thus same producers. Of course, we'll still order only from Vanguard, but they will be selling those tapes too. It'll be easier for everyone and will provide us with an updated, modern, and professional image that the Air Force was going for when they designed their uniforms.

(I don't want anyone to comment on Vanguard or the "absurdness" of BDU's)
GEORGE LURYE

RogueLeader

It'd be great if we could drop the "US" from Civil Air Patrol.  I know, I know, not likely to happen.  :sigh:
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ddelaney103

I'd like to see us go white letters on midnight blue - it's related to the current AF colors while different enough to be "AF style" instead of AF.  Also, the contrast will make it easier to read.  Finally, it will match the stripes for SM NCO's.