Proposal 3: Uniform Issues

Started by Major Carrales, July 27, 2007, 05:43:35 AM

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on August 06, 2007, 02:49:21 AM
Which of you guys is going to buy me a tux to wear to Wing Conference once a year? 

The idea is that you rent it so you don't have to own it. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 06, 2007, 02:51:06 AM
Which of you guys is going to buy me a tux to wear to Wing Conference once a year? 

Better specify what to rent, or else...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Major Carrales

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on August 06, 2007, 03:11:46 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 06, 2007, 02:51:06 AM

Better specify what to rent, or else...

I believe Chuck has outlined it. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 06, 2007, 01:48:39 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on August 06, 2007, 01:39:10 AMOpps, meant to say "INappropriate"

You'll live... after being virtually roasted over the coals by the esteemed CAPTalk assembly!  ;D

Gee, it does feel kinda warm in here. . . . . ;)
Besides, I've made bigger goofs. . . . . .  :angel:
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mdickinson

Quote from: arajca on August 06, 2007, 02:20:00 AM
I'd say dump the shoulder boards and grade insignia for the tux. Using only the badges and medals, members can rent a tux when needed and not spend another couple hundred bucks on yet another uniform. If you REALLY want to have grade insignia, use a mini pin.

Heh... I'd like to see the reaction of your local tux rental place when you bring back a tuxedo after having affixed three rows of mini medals, a GT badge, a pair of CAP wings, and a "dinner plate" to it for a weekend!

Do you think the rental shop will accept that garment back with all those holes poked in it? Be prepared to buy it if you're going to turn it into Swiss cheese...

Luckily, used ones can often be bought at a reasonable price from tux rental places.

Al Sayre

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 05, 2007, 04:45:22 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 04, 2007, 08:02:41 PM
First, it isn't changing CAP uniform, rather using an existing one.
But the uniform is still not the issue.  The officer is the issue.  If the officer was in Full-Service Dress, or in Golf shirt- That was not the problem the problem was the officer acting in an improper manner.
Second, changing CAP officers is easier said than done!

"Stop acting in that manner, or you will never see the inside of an EOC ever again."

Changing his/her mannerisms are hard, but there are things that can be done to minimize their exposure to the outside.

eServices has a simple solution available to solve this problem.  The Squadron Commander, Group Commander, Wing Commander and the ESO's & DOS all have the power to suspend a members qualifications.  I can guarantee that if I get a call that one of my people is acting inappropriately at the EOC, I'm pushing that button and then investigating, not the other way around.  If it proves groundless, then I can remove the suspension.  If not, then they are probably going to be deserving a 2b anyway. YMMV
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

Quote from: mdickinson on August 06, 2007, 12:00:37 PM
I'd say dump the shoulder boards and grade insignia for the tux. Using only the badges and medals, members can rent a tux when needed and not spend another couple hundred bucks on yet another uniform. If you REALLY want to have grade insignia, use a mini pin.

Heh... I'd like to see the reaction of your local tux rental place when you bring back a tuxedo after having affixed three rows of mini medals, a GT badge, a pair of CAP wings, and a "dinner plate" to it for a weekend!

Do you think the rental shop will accept that garment back with all those holes poked in it? Be prepared to buy it if you're going to turn it into Swiss cheese...

Luckily, used ones can often be bought at a reasonable price from tux rental places.

No more holes than from boutonnieres, corsages and lapel pins.  Normally, a good laundering will mitigate any holes, they have their ways.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

arajca

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 06, 2007, 03:31:50 PM
Quote from: mdickinson on August 06, 2007, 12:00:37 PM

No more holes than from boutonnieres, corsages and lapel pins.  Normally, a good laundering will mitigate any holes, they have their ways.
Especially if you're not poking holes through the satin parts like the lapel. As long as you're not leaving the stuff on for several days, the holes will easily close up.

Hawk200

For the folks worried about holes, there are a a number of ribbon rack creating places that use magnets. Now, the magnets they use are only a little stronger than your average fridge magnet, but you could easily attach stronger ones.

I've even considered cutting the pins of a badge or two, cutting some "valleys" in the badge enough to be able to attach a magnet where it still stays flush. Then just use one of those speaker magnets suitably modified to fit behind it on a shirt where there is no bulge to it.

It would easily solve any issues of poking holes in anything. The new bullion CAP seal would be easy to do this with, it's a lot lighter than the old metal one. That one was heavy. Ribbons, badges, and even nametags (for the uniforms that have one) would be simple. No one has seemed to be pick up on the idea and market it yet.

AlphaSigOU

Good rule of thumb if you're considering buying a tux or a mess dress uniform: If you can at least wear it more than twice a year, one can probably justify buying a tux or mess dress rather than rent. (Can't rent mess dress, though.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 06, 2007, 06:11:11 PM
The new bullion CAP seal would be easy to do this with, it's a lot lighter than the old metal one.

The bullion seal is new?  It's the only one I've ever owned and I got it handed down by someone who used it for 10 years before I did, so it's got at least 15 yrs on it...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hawk200

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 06, 2007, 06:24:02 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 06, 2007, 06:11:11 PM
The new bullion CAP seal would be easy to do this with, it's a lot lighter than the old metal one.

The bullion seal is new?  It's the only one I've ever owned and I got it handed down by someone who used it for 10 years before I did, so it's got at least 15 yrs on it...

Now that I think of it, not really. The first time I saw it was about 10 years ago. It was new then. We had a region commander show up at our Region Staff College, and at the banquet he wore it. Someone asked about it, and he told them he'd just gotten it, that it had just started selling.

I do know it doesn't go back much farther than about '96. I had a mess dress at that time, and I had to wear the old metal one. Felt about the same weight as a .38 snub. May not actually weigh as much as one, it just felt like that at the time.

jimmydeanno

At least the metal one would stop a .38 snub... :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

do you think it's really that strong a metal?  I think it would still pierce right through.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

jimmydeanno

Hawk200

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 06, 2007, 07:16:53 PM
At least the metal one would stop a .38 snub... :)

I may have my old one, and I know someone with a .38 snub. I'll see if I can find it, and may test the hypothesis.

JC004

^^  Why not wear one inside, on the opposite side to counterbalance?   :angel: